Photo Usage with Credit?

Introduce yourself to the group! We welcome novice and expert alike! We especially love hearing from those new to Portland and those new to hiking
lmar

Photo Usage with Credit?

Post by lmar » August 31st, 2016, 1:56 pm

Hello! Is it possible to use any photos that people have posted if I provide photo credit? I'm interested in Multnomah Falls and Silver Falls State Park. This is for a postcard for a local realtor promoting fall hiking. Thank you! :D

kepPNW

Re: Photo Usage with Credit?

Post by kepPNW » August 31st, 2016, 2:15 pm

At the bottom of every page you'll see...
TKO wrote: All content posted on the forum becomes the property of Trailkeepers of Oregon, and may not be used without permission.
Karl
Back on the trail, again...

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » August 31st, 2016, 2:41 pm

ask the person that posted the photo?

justpeachy

Post by justpeachy » September 1st, 2016, 7:45 pm

What Karl said.

In reality, I don't think most people would mind if you were to use their photo in a blog post or something similar, as long as you asked first and gave photo credit. But a postcard used for advertising a for-profit business is an entirely differently thing. You definitely need to get the photographer's permission first.

Koda

Post by Koda » September 5th, 2016, 11:03 am

kepPNW wrote:At the bottom of every page you'll see...
TKO wrote: All content posted on the forum becomes the property of Trailkeepers of Oregon, and may not be used without permission.
well that changes things, Cant find the thread but a while back I inquired who owns the photo content users share here and the reply from Splintercat was the poster. That disclaimer seems to contradict that statement.
lightweight, cheap, strong... pick 2

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » September 5th, 2016, 4:31 pm

Koda wrote:
kepPNW wrote:At the bottom of every page you'll see...
well that changes things, Cant find the thread but a while back I inquired who owns the photo content users share here and the reply from Splintercat was the poster. That disclaimer seems to contradict that statement.
I've pointed that out to him before, over the years, and the disclaimer's claim to ownership remains the same.
Karl
Back on the trail, again...

aiwetir

Post by aiwetir » September 6th, 2016, 11:31 pm

The forum TOS can say whatever they like, but the law generally sides on the side of the law :D

For example, you can agree to sacrifice your firstborn child when you click on the 'agree' button upon registration, but that doesn't really make it a legal binding contract. Unfortunately you must continue supporting your millennial despite your objections.

So the photographer owns the copyright.
- Michael

UTurn

Post by UTurn » September 7th, 2016, 8:32 am

aiwetir wrote:
For example, you can agree to sacrifice your firstborn child when you click on the 'agree' button upon registration, but that doesn't really make it a legal binding contract. Unfortunately you must continue supporting your millennial despite your objections.

Hahaha! :lol:

Koda

Post by Koda » September 7th, 2016, 9:20 am

the photographer may still own the copyright but if he posts it here on the forum then the forum can use that content as needed including without attribution or even asking permission.

thats not the impression I got from the aformentioned discussion, but thats what the disclaimer means at the bottom of the website.....
lightweight, cheap, strong... pick 2

aiwetir

Post by aiwetir » September 7th, 2016, 9:35 am

Koda wrote:the photographer may still own the copyright but if he posts it here on the forum then the forum can use that content as needed including without attribution or even asking permission.
It really depends on the usage, for example the forum can't sell my photo to an advertiser nor likely use it for advertising itself.
- Michael