How to Upload photos

Introduce yourself to the group! We welcome novice and expert alike! We especially love hearing from those new to Portland and those new to hiking
jeffstatt

How to Upload photos

Post by jeffstatt » March 24th, 2016, 11:01 am

How to Include Photos in your Posts
This thread contains instructions for including photos in your trip reports/posts using several different methods.

There are basically two ways to do it:
1) Upload directly
2) Upload to a photo sharing site, then embed the link here.

Generally, the second method is recommended as it provides the poster and the reader more options for working with the images. However it's a bit more complicated for novice users. The first method is fine too - particularly if you're only posting 1 or 2 photos and your not too concerned about the size and formatting.

This thread will include instructions for both methods, including links from several different popular sharing sites (as I have time to write them up).

jeffstatt

Re: How to Upload photos

Post by jeffstatt » March 24th, 2016, 11:08 am

Method #1

Uploading photos directly

The easiest way to upload photos to OregonHikers is to use the "Upload attachment" feature. There are a few disadvantages of this method: there's a limit to size of photo you can upload, and you have fewer options for how to format the image and place it within text in your post. That said, it's a great way for beginners to get there photos into trip reports, etc.

1) From the new post window, find the section "Upload attachment" under the message body

2) From the "Upload attachment" section, click the "Browse" button, then select the desired photo (this screenshot is from Windows 7)
3) As the photo uploads you should see this status dialog:
4) If the upload was successful, the name of the file should appear below the browse section:
5) Add some text to the message body, then click "Preview" or "Submit":
6) Here's the result:
All your photos will appear at the bottom of your post. You can optionally use the "File Comment" to provide a caption with the photo

jeffstatt

Post by jeffstatt » March 24th, 2016, 11:46 am

Method #2

Posting photos from Flickr

1. Assuming you have a Flickr site and have loaded some images to your gallery, select the image you'd like to include in your post. If you're not sure how to do that, here's a nice video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_wGNHDntr0g
2. Make sure your photo is not set to "private". If so there will be a little "lock" icon on the bottom left of the thumbnail. To switch to public, click on the lock icon and select "Private" from the list (depending on where you are in Flickr, this may look different)
3. At the bottom of the window, find and click on the "Share" button:
4. The "Share" dialog screen will appear. It should look something like this:
(Admin's note: Ok, from this point forward, there's a few different methods that would work. I like the BBCode method for first-timers because it gives you obvious sizing options and handles the embedding link automatically for you)

5. From the share screen, select the "BBCode" tab (BBCode is a standard formatting used in posts in most internet forums)
6. Select the desired size: (usually "Medium 500 x 375" does the job nicely for forum posts, but you can change it later if you want)
7. Copy the code (FYI: I'm right-clicking and selecting "Copy" using Windows 7. It might look different for you)
8. Paste the code directly into your forum post on OregonHikers:
9. Here's the BBCode pasted into the window.
10. The photo will appear in your post after you click "Submit". Alternately you can click "Preview" which can test that you've done it right before posting it to the world. Here's what I get when I hit "Preview"
Optional: Personally I don't like the link citation link and caption, so I delete that portion of the code off. From the message BBCode, clear everything after and including the second [url] tags:
Here's the result:

jeffstatt

Post by jeffstatt » March 24th, 2016, 1:35 pm

How to Include Photos from SmugMug

Assuming you have SmugMug account, and you already have photos in your gallery, select the photo you'd like to include in your OregonHiker's post:
From the icons at the bottom left, click the "Share" icon (these vary in location depending on where you are in Smugmug)
From the "Share" dialog, pick the desired size (Medium usually works pretty good)
Copy the resulting URL (from Windows 7 I'm doing this by right-clicking and selecting "copy")
In your message post on OregonHikers, click "Paste":
Highlight the URL and click the "IMG" button above the message body
This will but a [ IMG ] in front and a [ /IMG] and the end. (Which you could have alternately typed out manually). Click submit or preview:
And here's the result:

jeffstatt

Post by jeffstatt » March 24th, 2016, 2:01 pm

Using photos from PhotoBucket

Photobucket makes this really easy. These instructions assume you have a PhotoBucket account and you have photos in your gallery.

1. Open to the photo you want to share:
2. From the "share this photo" section to the right, click on the URL next to the label "IMG". When you click on that url, it will highlight and you'll see "copied" flash on the screen briefly:
3. In the message body of your OregonHiker's post, paste the URL (I'm using Windows 7 and I did this by right-clicking and selecting "paste")
4. The code will appear in the post. Hit "Submit" (or "preview") at the bottom of your post:
5. The result should look like this:

Lurch

Post by Lurch » March 24th, 2016, 7:57 pm

You may want to encourage people who use attachments to actually put them inline instead of a pile of attachments at the bottom of the post

jeffstatt

Post by jeffstatt » March 25th, 2016, 2:29 pm

Lurch wrote:You may want to encourage people who use attachments to actually put them inline instead of a pile of attachments at the bottom of the post
I rarely use the "upload" method (sorry!) so I'm actually not aware of how to avoid having all the uploaded photos drop to the bottom. Can you explain how to avoid that?

Also, does anyone have experience uploading from an IPhone. I was contacted by someone offline who was having difficulty getting that to work. Is there a photobucket app for Iphone?

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » March 25th, 2016, 3:39 pm

after you click "browse", "add the file", and wait for it to upload, put the cursor where you want the picture to go in your text and click "place inline" and it'll go there

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » March 25th, 2016, 3:42 pm

jeffstatt wrote:
Lurch wrote:You may want to encourage people who use attachments to actually put them inline instead of a pile of attachments at the bottom of the post
I rarely use the "upload" method (sorry!) so I'm actually not aware of how to avoid having all the uploaded photos drop to the bottom. Can you explain how to avoid that?
Simple. After photo(s) are uploaded, you select the one you want to put inline from the dropdown list of Attachments, put the cursor at the location in your message you want the photo to go, and punch the button next to that list (marked "Place inline").
capture.png
Placed inline. Uploaded second.
capture.png (3.12 KiB) Viewed 34754 times
You can even edit the caption ("File comment") text at any time before or after placing the image inline.
jeffstatt wrote:Also, does anyone have experience uploading from an IPhone. I was contacted by someone offline who was having difficulty getting that to work. Is there a photobucket app for Iphone?
No idea. Thought stuff "just worked" there? ;)

Honestly, how (other than the general "technical literacy" <cough!> of Apple users) could it any different than on any other device? As special as iPhones seem to some, they really are just computers too. :)
20160304_6676_sm.jpg
Not placed inline. Uploaded first.
Karl
Back on the trail, again...