We'll soon be visiting Oregon for ten days...

Introduce yourself to the group! We welcome novice and expert alike! We especially love hearing from those new to Portland and those new to hiking
coloradoscott

We'll soon be visiting Oregon for ten days...

Post by coloradoscott » June 4th, 2015, 2:13 pm

Hello all, and thanks for the great website and input. My wife and I will be spending about ten days in Oregon after 6/18 and would love some suggestions above what we've thought of. First we'll be staying with a friend in the Hood River area for five days and plan on hiking the Wahkeena/Multnomah Falls loop, Eagle Creek, Beacon Rock, and several other falls in the gorge. Next we'll be going to Cannon Beach for 3-4 days and have looked at hiking Saddle Mtn., Ecola State Park to Indian Beach, Cannon Beach around Haystack Rock area. Any input or thoughts on the above or specific recommendations or ideas is welcome. Thanks.

Scott

miah66

Re: We'll soon be visiting Oregon for ten days...

Post by miah66 » June 5th, 2015, 9:27 am

I'd say you have a full plate, and those are all good suggestions. If you're staying in Hood River, Tamawanas Falls is nearby on your way up to Timberline Lodge on Mount Hood. I'd say both are a "Can't miss". Then see Trillium Lake. In town, eat at Double Mountain pizza. Whatever you do, you'll have a great time! How about some Colorado recommendations? I would like to visit sometime.
"The top...is not the top" - Mile...Mile & a Half

Instagram @pdxstrider

Arturo

Post by Arturo » June 5th, 2015, 2:13 pm

Saddle Mountain has a 360 degree view that is unrivaled in the coast range. It gets crowded ... but I think the view is worth it. Done it 3 times this year as it is a good hike for friends who want a moderate challenge. But it's really about the view. Kings Mountain would be the one if you are looking for more of a rugged strenuous type hike. It has some views but not like Saddle. They recently closed the beaches for Razor clamming but if they're reopened by then, there's a place nearby Saddle that serves 'em up hot and tasty. http://www.camp18restaurant.com/

Hope to do a 14er near Denver on a trip in October, maybe Bierstadt. Can't imagine a trailhead that starts higher than Hood :shock:

coloradoscott

Post by coloradoscott » June 30th, 2015, 7:24 pm

Our trip to OR was great! We didn't accomplish as much as I'd hoped for but the days spent there were still great! Thanks to the Chamber of Commerce for rolling out only blue skies during our trip. On day one my wife tripped on the steps at Latourell Falls and split her lip open and made me look like a wife-beater for most of the trip...LOL. Fortunately her injuries were superficial and so we hiked the Upper McCord Creek Falls and Elowah that day; only about 25 people seen on the trails and none affecting the falls photos. Saturday our Hood River area friend had us tour east of The Dalles to Timberline Lodge on Mt. Hood (he has MS, so little walking/hiking was done). We had excellent BBQ in Parkdale (we are BBQ snobs) so a nice finish to that day. Two days later (Monday 6/22) we left Hood River and hiked Horsetail and Ponytail Falls, with hordes of other people, and tried other nearby falls, but parking was impossible. It was also hot so we headed for the coast. The next day we had great tidepools at low-tide on Indian Beach (with sea stars rebounding, apparently), and I hiked from there to Ecola Point and spotted a Bald Eagle after getting there. Haystack Rock at Cannon Beach the next day's lowtide was disappointing for sea stars, but otherwise nice. It had been overcast, but the sun came out and it became hot, so instead of hiking Saddle Mtn. we drove to Astoria. The column is closed for renovations, but the views were good. I don't know what happened to the sea lions, but didn't see them on the docks. Evening sunset back on Cannon Beach was beautiful. Drove down the coast the next day...skipped Short Sands Beach due to the huge crowd of cars at the TH, but stopped at Cape Mears and Cape Kiwanda before heading to my sister's house in Salem. The last full day we hiked the 5 mile Winter Falls loop at Silver Falls State Park (in 88 F heat). Overall a great trip, but one I would have preferred in springtime w/o the crowds in the gorge (and airports), and having higher runoff at some of the falls. You live in a beautiful area and we hope to return soon. Sorry I missed the Camp 18 and didn't try the razorback clams (or Octopus on a stick in Astoria!). But we'll be back. Shoot me any ?'s about your CO ideas and I'll try to reply smartly. Scott

miah66

Post by miah66 » June 30th, 2015, 7:30 pm

Awesome Scott! Glad you had a good visit.
"The top...is not the top" - Mile...Mile & a Half

Instagram @pdxstrider

adamschneider

Post by adamschneider » June 30th, 2015, 7:34 pm

coloradoscott wrote:The next day we had great tidepools at low-tide on Indian Beach (with sea stars rebounding, apparently)
Whew. I was worried about the sea stars.