Howdy! Sly introduction + recent photos from Mt Defiance/etc

Introduce yourself to the group! We welcome novice and expert alike! We especially love hearing from those new to Portland and those new to hiking
Sly

Howdy! Sly introduction + recent photos from Mt Defiance/etc

Post by Sly » January 29th, 2014, 10:13 pm

Hey y'all, Texan transplant Sly here. Have been in Oregon for just about 8 years and loving (most) every minute of it. I was raised by a pair of geologists/birders, so have much experience with long deathmarches in the wilderness (it's still impossible for me to go outside without 100oz of water because it's hot in the desert and water sources are few and far between) but not much experience with snow and endless rain. This forum is a really helpful source of knowledge and the constant updates on weather conditions are really beneficial when planning trips out. I've been lurking the forums for about 6 months now and finally decided to start chiming in with questions and maybe a trip report or two in the future.

I enjoy hikes that challenge me both physically and mentally, perhaps when I grow up I will learn how to properly climb mountains. For now, I am walking and scrambling up things that are within my skill level. The world above 8,000' and filled with snow is something I don't know anything about, so I've been using this mild and dry winter to slowly ease into winter hiking.

Without further ado, here are a few photos from a trek up Mt Defiance this Sunday (1/26)
Small Narnia.jpg
We skipped up the Starvation Ridge trail until we hit the clouds- this was some way above the powerlines. Once we hit the Land of Freezing Fog, we slowed down for some photos.
freezingfog small.jpg
Up close and personal, some of these frozen splinters were 5/8" long!
narnia3 - small.jpg
Absolutely gorgeous!
small lake.jpg
I've never seen a frozen lake before- this was a lifetime first!!
washingtonpeakssmall.jpg
Just past the lake, we scrambled offtrail to soak in this lovely view of Mt St Helens, Mt Rainier, and Adams. Totally took my breath away! Perhaps I'll get to see the view from the tops of those mountains someday.

After our breakfast on the rocks, we continued on- through some wet and crusty(?) snow for a while. Some spots were icy, so my hiking partners explained how to place your feet and center of gravity on the ice. No wipeouts! About 30 minutes below the summit, we ran into another dude on his way down, other than that, we were alone. At the summit, I snapped this photo of Mt Hood
hood2 small.jpg
Then it was time to go. After we got out of frozen Narnia, we ran back to the car and located some bacon cheeseburgers. We hiked through temperatures measuring between 26 and 58 degrees- that's similar to desert hiking, except the temps you'll encounter are like 60-100 degrees.

Just because, here are a couple other photos from recent adventures!

An early January trip up Munra after reading some great Portland Hikers trip reports. Conditions were excellent.
small munra.jpg
What a view!
murna small2.jpg

Other semi-recent highlights were a walk up South Sister and a trip to the Southern California desert.
ss small.jpg
Summit for sunrise! I believe we followed the advice of a PH post and made it a point to do half our hike in darkness. Left Portland at 8:30, started hiking around 1:30, and hit sunrise on the summit at 5:39. This experience was completely excellent and definitely motivated me to make hiking and climbing a lifestyle.
ss small2.jpg
The views are not so bad, either!!!
ss small3.jpg
Honestly, I feel more comfortable walking on loose rock and dust than mud and snow. What are the best ways to learn the skills necessary to be safe out here?

Okay, one last photo, this one is from Red Rock Canyon in southern California.
small canyon.jpg
That's the sun rising! We do most of our hikes at night and dawn in the desert, otherwise it's just painful!

Thanks for looking at all that, if you made it this far. May I ask some questions?

What are good ways to learn about snow safety?
Should I bother learning how to ski? I think I want to, but everything seems so expensive-- are there frugal options?
What are good ways to learn about general PNW safety?
Are the map and compass classes at REI good? Should I look elsewhere?
As a 20-something, it's tricky finding hiking partners who are safe and don't flake out-- what are some good ways to find people do do activities with?
WHERE IS GOOD TEXMEX AND BBQ IN THIS CITY?

And I think that's it... for now.

See y'all around!

retired jerry

Re: Howdy! Sly introduction + recent photos from Mt Defiance

Post by retired jerry » January 29th, 2014, 10:51 pm

snow safety - the Mazamas? - they have courses

you can rent skis - make sure and get skis adjusted so they release when you fall, I broke ankle because mine were adjusted for an expert person rather than amateur me

REI classes are pretty good

Buster's Barbeque? Pit Stop? - okay

Sly

Post by Sly » January 30th, 2014, 12:11 am

I applied for the Mazamas BECP, we will see if I make the cut for the program!

The REI classes are a very close second if the mazamas don't pan out this year.

Will have to investigate those BBQ options...

Peder

Post by Peder » January 30th, 2014, 3:29 am

Welcome Sly! For the mountaineering, the Mazamas (or similar) is definitely the way to go.

Downhill skiing is a fine outdoor sport and the skill is a must if you wish to do ski-mountaineering (aka backcountry skiing or randonnee), my absolutely favorite activity (not that I practice it much at the moment)! I purchased downhill ski equipment second hand at Next Adventure in 2007 and have been using it since. Skis, boots and poles came to a grand total of $45. When I have time off, I tend to purchase a spring pass for Mount Hood Meadows ($150) that is good for about six weeks in a period when the weather is often pleasant. But skiing is not cheap, as there is also a 130 mile drive each time you go skiing, lessons could be recommended for beginners, etc.

Snowshoeing is much less expensive and you can go some pretty cool places with them, so that could be a good place to start!

People on this site do hike together but this is not a hiking club. So rather than meeting people over the internet on Portland Hikers, which could be rather slow, there are also a number of groups (including the Mazamas) dedicated to getting people out hiking. There are four hiking groups listed on our homepage and furthermore the Portland Hiking Meetup Group that seems very friendly!

You also ask about general navigation. Here you can learn from others and occasionally such classes are offered by Lurch for free (his side line is Search and Rescue), but naturally an "official" class can only do you good.

There are other hikers on this site, both male and female, in your age group that do South Sister (and much tougher things) in a day. Those I know are wonderful people and very dependable. So I am sure you will quickly find some non-flaky partners. Have fun!

PS: With your hiking CV (South Sister, Munra Point and Defiance), you are obviously strong and could see if somebody would invite you along.
Some people are really fit at eighty; thankfully I still have many years to get into shape…

danokra

Post by danokra » January 30th, 2014, 4:40 am

Welcome to Oregon. Glad you left Texas ? As for BBQ here are some ideas. Two in North Portland , The Pit and Podnahs. Google for addresses, and one I used to like but have not been there for a while Campbells in S.E. Portland. There are many more in North Portland and most have a unique cuisine. Some label themselves as Texas style, so you could be the judge on them.

rainrunner

Post by rainrunner » January 30th, 2014, 7:07 pm

Welcome! It seems that you are in the right direction of making hiking and climbing a lifestyle.
The mountains are calling and I must go.
John Muir

Don Nelsen

Post by Don Nelsen » January 30th, 2014, 7:42 pm

Welcome to the site - and great first post! Peder's advice is spot on, IMO. (Be careful of the Looney bunch - they will drive you into the ground!) ;)

dn
"Everything works in the planning stage" - Kelly

"If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do" - Warren Miller

Sly

Post by Sly » January 31st, 2014, 1:21 pm

Wow! Thank you for all the responses so far, and all the info that Peder posted is very helpful! I think tracking down a used pair of snowshoes will be in the near-future. Probably going to hold off on the skiing until next season so I can budget appropriately for passes and gas.

Navigation is really a thing I want to learn this year-- most of the people I'm able to drag outside are also transplants with limited knowledge of the area. Many trails out here are very well-maintained, but I'm imagining a mushroom-hunting trip gone wrong and our little party having to spend a wet night in the forest... not so good. It's a little daunting when you start to get an idea of how little you actually know.. you know?

The Pit, Podnahs, Campbells, Busters- that list should keep us out of trouble for a couple months. Maybe I'll post a Portland BBQ trip report after visiting these joints?

Thanks again for all the info!

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » January 31st, 2014, 1:39 pm

I think skiing and boarding are more dangerous

I broke my ankle

Occasionally someone runs into a tree

Snowshoeing much safer, although you have to become familiar with avalanche avoidance, e.g. http://www.nwac.us/

awildman

Post by awildman » January 31st, 2014, 3:37 pm

Hi, Sly! Welcome! Peder highlighted some great resources for you to check out and it sounds like you've tapped into the Mazama resources. Be sure to check out their Adventurous Young Mazamas program, which is your target audience.

Some other options:

Columbia River Orienteering Club - learn map and compass skills in a fun and accessible environment. They have courses all over the region, including Mt. Tabor, and many events are free or about $10. They'll teach you basic navigation skills and then you can practice on the courses with experienced folks.

Check out the latest edition of "Mountaineering: The Freedom of the Hills" from the library for a great (free) overview on snow travel. Or just buy a used one from Powell's.

Consider getting your AIARE Level 1 Avalanche certificate. It's geared to backcountry snow enthusiasts and is fun despite the morbid field exercises of looking for buried "bodies". I think there is a prerequisite for participants knowing how to ski / split board.

The best way to learn is to get out there with someone trusted and experienced and try a lot of different things. If you want to climb mountains, I would go through the Mazama BCEP course. But if you just want to roam around the backcountry on snow (shoes or skis), the best way is to educate yourself about current conditions, be prepared, pick forgiving places to practice, and go for it.
Rambling on at Allison Outside