Howdy...

Introduce yourself to the group! We welcome novice and expert alike! We especially love hearing from those new to Portland and those new to hiking
IdleDevils

Howdy...

Post by IdleDevils » June 25th, 2008, 3:55 pm

I just moved to Portland last December and have been reading this site almost daily for a few weeks now. I get out hiking about once a week, mostly in the gorge. I've been hiking/camping/fishing my whole life. I moved here from Indiana but I'm a Michigan native. Untill I moved here, my favorite hikes were all in the upper peninsula of michigan, especially Pictured Rocks Natl. Park.
Although I'm glad the nice weather is finally here, I kinda miss the rain, when i could go out to the gorge on a rainy tuesday morning and not see anyone else all day. But also , now that school is out, I can take my daughter out with me on weekdays when a lot of trails are not as crowded.
I look forward to picking up some more tips on good hikes and trails from y'all. Also, If anyone has any leads or tips on cheap (used is ok) gear, I brought almost nothing with me from Indiana and I'm Dirt Poor. (Hiker/Backpacker friends having a rummage sale? :?: :roll: ) I'm also looking for a pack and backpacking tent for my daughter. She's 13, but shes tall for her age and strong and I think could handle an "adult" pack.
Anyhow, thanks for this great site, look forward to more great adventures here in Oregon!
Cheers!

Delfiin

Re: Howdy...

Post by Delfiin » June 26th, 2008, 6:02 am

Welcome! Next Adventure in Portland has a variety of used gear. The selection is kinda hit and miss but worth checking out.

Stevefromdodge

Post by Stevefromdodge » June 26th, 2008, 6:12 am

Welcome to the site, Idle Devils!

jeffstatt

Post by jeffstatt » June 26th, 2008, 11:49 am

The UP is one spot I still need to get out to. Throw a canoe in the water with a week's worth of gear and just get lost for awhile. That's the one type of trip you can't find much of our here.

I'm glad to hear you say you miss the rain. I'm not the only wierd one!

Welcome to the site! :D

I know Craigslist is all over the country now, but I think because it's more established out here you might have decent luck scoring some used gear there.

anna in boots

getting in gear

Post by anna in boots » June 26th, 2008, 1:28 pm

You beat me to it, Jeff, I was gonna say craiglist, too. Also, Campmor.com and sierratradingpost.com. Most of my stuff comes from there, cabelas.com, and the SWEET Lowe Alpine factory warehouse sales I used to have direct access to in Denver, Colorado. Ah, memories! Do local stores out here have gear swap days like in Colorado?

anna in boots
Current trip reports at All Thoughts Work™ Outdoors
http://allthoughtsworkoutdoors.wordpress.com/

IdleDevils

Post by IdleDevils » June 29th, 2008, 1:07 am

Thanks for the tips - I check craigslist all the time, but so far I've been too slow to score any of the great deals...
If you ever get a chance to check out the UP, do it! its fantastic!
Im gonna test post some photos in the test forum of the up right now - check 'em out...
Cheers!