Greetings from Tasmania!

Introduce yourself to the group! We welcome novice and expert alike! We especially love hearing from those new to Portland and those new to hiking
BenO_Tas

Greetings from Tasmania!

Post by BenO_Tas » March 3rd, 2023, 2:55 am

Hi everyone,
My name is Ben, I’m coming to Oregon and Washington in August 2023 to do some sections of the PCT with a few US-based friends.

So many questions!!

About me:
For the last ten years I have been working as a guide at Cradle Mountain. My hiking experience has been primarily in the Tasmanian Wilderness World Heritage Area namely the Walls of Jerusalem NP and the Overland Track in the Cradle Mountain-Lake St Clair NP.

Going to the US to walk through some of your wilderness areas has been a long held dream. I still can’t believe it’s happening! I look forward to getting to know some of you.
Kind regards,
Ben
Attachments
67B9B284-85E3-43CC-AA79-3625079C2847.jpeg
Dawn at Dove Lake with Cradle Mountain, Tasmania

Webfoot

Re: Greetings from Tasmania!

Post by Webfoot » March 4th, 2023, 10:31 am

Welcome, Ben.

Aimless

Post by Aimless » March 4th, 2023, 10:52 am

Welcome! Come around any time to ask questions. Our members have a lot of local knowledge and many decades of experience which most of us are quite willing to share. :)

Charley

Post by Charley » March 4th, 2023, 8:12 pm

BenO_Tas wrote:
March 3rd, 2023, 2:55 am
Hi everyone,
My name is Ben, I’m coming to Oregon and Washington in August 2023 to do some sections of the PCT with a few US-based friends.
Awesome! August is a good time of year. Be aware of the possibility of fires. That time of year it's a good idea to have backup trips in mind if an area is closed, or the winds blow smoke into your route.
Believe it or not, I barely ever ride a mountain bike.

drm

Post by drm » March 6th, 2023, 7:36 am

Welcome, Ben. Some years ago I visited Taz and hiked Walls of Jerusalem, and if I remember correctly, another place called China Cap. You won't need all the boardwalk here!

BenO_Tas

Post by BenO_Tas » March 8th, 2023, 12:27 am

Dear all,
Thank you for your kind welcome!
Yes, the possibility of fires is something that we will factor into our plans. As I am sure you’re all aware, fires are a feature of summers in Australia (and Tasmania)

drm wrote:
March 6th, 2023, 7:36 am
Welcome, Ben. Some years ago I visited Taz and hiked Walls of Jerusalem, and if I remember correctly, another place called China Cap. You won't need all the boardwalk here!
Might it have been Frenchman’s Cap?
F2CD54C7-9669-4F05-BA01-D3952D2C561D.jpeg
Frenchman’s Cap (not my photo)
The first and last time I did the Frenchman’s Cap walk some years ago I got to the top of Barron’s Pass and as I was setting up my camera and tripod up for a photo I realised the camera shoe which attaches the camera to the tripod was left at home. I could have screamed and thrown my tripod into the abyss. I haven’t gone back since but I hope to do before our winter arrives.

drm

Post by drm » March 9th, 2023, 8:13 am

Yes, it as Frenchman's Cap. But the weather never cleared enough for views like that.