First-time PCT hiker with route questions

Introduce yourself to the group! We welcome novice and expert alike! We especially love hearing from those new to Portland and those new to hiking
sammyjean718

First-time PCT hiker with route questions

Post by sammyjean718 » June 23rd, 2021, 1:16 am

Hi everyone,
I’m an avid Northern California hiker with plans to do the Oregon PCT between mid September and early October. I’m trying to figure out what’s most achievable for me during that time. I have a ride lined up to drop me at Callahan’s Lodge (section 1). I’d like to do a 3-4 day jaunt to get acclimated and then hitch hike up to either section 4 or section 5. I’m looking for advice on a) where would be a good place to spit out of section 1 and be able to hitchhike? And b) where’s a convenient place for me to get dropped off and hop on again? I am trying to do sections that have good water supply, as I’ll be carrying for both myself and my dog. Thanks!

AlpenGlowHiker

Re: First-time PCT hiker with route questions

Post by AlpenGlowHiker » June 23rd, 2021, 4:28 am

I'm only familiar with sections by letter; and even then it's a bit difficult. Could you reference landmarks?

sammyjean718

Post by sammyjean718 » June 23rd, 2021, 11:13 pm

Oh, sure. I was planning to start just outside Ashland, then stop at Fish Lake. I’m curious about how hard it would be to hitch hike from Fish Lake up to Santiam Pass? Or should I go a bit further past Fish Lake to try to catch a ride?

AlpenGlowHiker

Post by AlpenGlowHiker » June 24th, 2021, 4:48 am

There isn't a better way, and this will probably be challenging but Lake of the Woods Hwy (140) does have traffic. You probably have mapped out how you'll have to hitch/ bus from there already?

You're probably also aware, but there are several closures in Oregon this year, I'm not sure if that will affect your plans or not.

Aimless

Post by Aimless » June 24th, 2021, 7:57 am

You should also be aware that whichever direction you hike on the PCT from Santiam Pass, you will need a valid hiking permit. The permits are issued online only and the number of permits is limited. This new permit system now applies to the Mt. Jefferson Wilderness, Mt. Washington Wilderness, and Three Sisters Wilderness. Right now, the only permits you're likely to snag are the ones that become available seven days before the date of use. :(