Mark from Portland

Introduce yourself to the group! We welcome novice and expert alike! We especially love hearing from those new to Portland and those new to hiking
PNWPhotoWalks

Mark from Portland

Post by PNWPhotoWalks » March 3rd, 2020, 6:50 pm

Hello,

I'm currently an "urban explorer" who occasionally escapes from Portland. When I do, I like to go back into the woods. And when I get back in the woods, I'm always glad I did.

I'm looking forward to exploring this site further. Now, I'm going to take a shortcut. The following verbiage is from my site. Rest assured, I'm not selling anything. Photography is not my day job.

https://pnwphotowalks.com/mark-mcclure-about

- Alaska Grown -
I was born in the Territory of Alaska and spent my youth and years as a young adult in Alaska. Alaska was and always will be a special place to me; 25 years of wonderful memories. I still return often to visit family and friends.

- Alaska on Foot -
I was fortunate to be able to explore Alaska on foot: wearing cross-country running shoes, cross-country skis, hiking boots, snowshoes, and crampons.
You will find photos of some of my Alaska hikes among the albums here. Eventually, I will upload some of my (vintage) Alaska bicycling, backpacking, mountaineering, and ocean kayaking trip photos. First, I need to scan many 35mm slides.

- Alaska and Canada on Bicycle -
With little planning but a lot of enthusiasm, a good friend and I did a bicycle trip in Alaska in 1972. With some lessons learned, the next year we completed a month-long bicycle trip from Calgary to Seattle. Young men, we were.
Between the two bicycle trips, I have five photos. Life in an era before selfies and Instagram.

- Oregon on Bicycle -,
After I moved to Oregon in 1980, I got back in the saddle. I explored Portland, Corvallis, and Eugene by bicycle and continued riding for the next 30 years. I have many fond memories of rides and trips with family and friends. Once again, I have very few photos from each.

- Home & Work Fronts -
Among my many life experiences over the 30 years, during this same period, I also became a father to three children, worked in IT (IS, MIS), remodeled my old house, and completed grad school.

Me one half of my life ago on a long trip through Denali National Park in Alaska with my wife and some good friends.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/memcclure/shares/F757u8

Webfoot

Re: Mark from Portland

Post by Webfoot » March 4th, 2020, 1:08 am

Welcome. That sounds like a life well lived. Cheers to the next chapter.