Lookout Mountain Vision Quest Mystery

Discussions and Trip Reports for off-trail adventures and rediscovering lost trails
Splintercat

Lookout Mountain Vision Quest Mystery

Post by Splintercat » September 29th, 2008, 1:20 pm

Here's an oddball mystery from a bit of exploring on Lookout Mountain yesterday. I had spotted a "lost trail" that seemed to head over the west face of the mountain, and followed it until it completely disappeared. But at that point, I was part way down a ridge, and there looked to be a viewpoint ahead, so I bushwhacked downhill until I came upon a spiny outcrop, with a vision quest pit at the top - cool! For orientation, here's how that ridge looks from the main trail on Lookout Mountain -- the pit is the pile of rocks at the top of the rocky portion of the ridgeline, with two small trees standing immediately behind it:

BTW, if you go here, watch your step! There are several 80-100 foot cliffs popping up abruptly as you drop out of the trees -- including the set seen in this photo. I'm not going to identify the location of this spot, given the potential resource value, and the fragility of the pit and surrounding rockery.

Here's a closer view of the ridge and pit, with Mount Hood behind:

...and a closer view, looking into the pit, and over the side:

Up until this point, I figured I had stumbled upon yet another ceremonial pit, but then I moved to the north of it for this photo to get a sense of the steepness of the area, and when I looked inside, I could see that several rocks had been mortared a very long time ago! You can see an upside down L-shaped bit of mortar in this image, if you look closely - right at the center of the rock wall:

So there's a puzzle! After mulling over the possibilities, I came up with two:

1. This is not a Native American pit, but instead, some sort of temporary lookout or spotting shelter built during the early USFS era, when Lookout Mountain was the site of a guard station and lookout. This spot would definitely provide a view of the west slope that isn't available from the summit lookout.

2. This is, indeed, a Native American pit, and was "restored" by USFS personnel, possibly during the era of the guard station. The mortar not only looked old and weathered, but the rocks, themselves, were weather in place, and well covered in black lichens.

Both theories tie to the USFS, simply because hauling and mixing mortar at this remote spot (with no water nearby) would have taken a very deliberate effort. Plus, the USFS was using mortar to construct the lookout tower, if not the guard station.

So, there's my mystery -- and what look to be a very nice ceremonial pit. I do love finding these -- if this is one, it's in a remarkable location!

Tom

jaimito

Re: Lookout Mountain Vision Quest Mystery

Post by jaimito » October 1st, 2008, 6:46 pm

awesome find once again Tom, I think I agree with the forest service theory, but the question remains, did they restore or secure an already existing pit or did they build it themselves…

the plot thickens… My guess is that they probably reinforced an old indian pit, given the location and the view of the mountain… seems logical anyways.

good going

Jamie

bush_marmot

Post by bush_marmot » October 15th, 2008, 8:42 pm

Very cool discovery, Tom!
:D
Splintercat wrote:I bushwhacked downhill until I came upon a spiny outcrop, with a vision quest pit at the top - cool!

I do love finding these -- if this is one, it's in a remarkable location!
OK... I can sort of imagine (from the name)... but what is a vision quest pit?

And why would the location of this one be unusual?

Thanks!
Peter
:)

Cattrapper

Post by Cattrapper » October 16th, 2008, 4:09 am

I'm curious to know why everyone here seems to think these are "vision quest pits"? I'm not saying the theory is 100% wrong, just wondering.

I rescently bought a book that really makes me question the idea though. The book is "A Nez Perce Nature Guide - I Am of This Land - Wildlife of the Hanford Site". In it I found this:
"Come visit us again and again. This is a state of excitement. But for heaven's sake, don't move here to live." Tom McCall

scrambler2

Post by scrambler2 » October 16th, 2008, 9:44 am

Third theory - Could it be the remains of an old outhouse? :o Maybe they just took their left over mortar and constructed a pit toilet with a view.
PCT class of 2012

VanMarmot

Post by VanMarmot » October 16th, 2008, 10:47 am

I've read reports here and elsewhere about these vision quest pits in several places - Silver Star, Ruckle Ck, near Neismith. Has any one ever tried to plot all their locations on one map, with the idea of seeing whether they are coordinated with each other or collectively aligned in some manner? Or did each group just select a location independently?

Splintercat

Post by Splintercat » October 17th, 2008, 7:34 pm

Hmmm... the Chariots of the Gods theory! Well, we've had several "new" pits identified in the young life of PH, so that's an interesting idea. I think the romantic in me will go with the vision quest theory, though not all pits have stunning views. The set along the Ruckel Creek trail are a good example of simpler surroundings -- and maybe a bit more consistent with the hunting theory. This one seems like a pretty terrible hunting site -- or outhouse, for that matter... rather drafty up there!

Tom :)

VanMarmot

Post by VanMarmot » October 28th, 2008, 6:41 am

Well, no, not Chariots of the Gods.

Rather either (a) alignment with readily observable astronomical phenomena, such as the solstice, the rising of Venus, etc., or (b) with each other. Think Stonehenge but on a smaller scale. However, the hunting hypothesis seems good - particularly for those in Rickel Creek.

Plus, everyone knows the Gods use trans-dimensional starships and not chariots.

chameleon

Post by chameleon » November 20th, 2008, 8:17 pm

Tom, great discussion on this. Fascinating find. I wish there was more written history on what all the old native american relics represented in the gorge. I love to envision the meetings that must have taken place on the Ruckel creek sight, with the fantastic little grotto and waterfall below. Just imagine the stories they must have sat around and told, when there was no roar of 84, or constant buzz of airplanes - only the gentle lap of waves against canoes and the roar of wind and waterfalls. Thanks for all the historical work you're doing on all these places.
-Zach

Jabali

Post by Jabali » November 22nd, 2008, 7:13 am

How deep is the pit you found?

The ones on Silver Star are quite deep. From the bottom you can only see a small piece of sky above you. The psychological effect is striking, and was no doubt part of the vision quest process.

A pit dug for hunting would be shallow, just deep enough to hide in, and easy to survey the surrounding ground from. The Silver Star pits would require climbing up the rubble sides to do this, a difficult position to maintain for the hours it may take waiting for prey to amble by. And they are located far from any game trails on a talus slope.

Some pits may have been hunting blinds, but not all. If its deep, isolated and on rock avoided by most animals, its likely a vision quest site. If its shallower, in meadows attractive to animals (like the one shown in A Nez Perce Nature Guide) and not too far from village sites (carrying the meat back was a limiting factor), then its likely a hunting blind. Complicating this in some tribes women vision quested too, but kept closer to home than the men, so vision quest sites can occur closer to village sites too.
....where does that trail go?