Old Bald Mountain Trail (Mount Hood)

Discussions and Trip Reports for off-trail adventures and rediscovering lost trails
Splintercat

Old Bald Mountain Trail (Mount Hood)

Post by Splintercat » September 6th, 2008, 11:34 pm

I suddenly had a free afternoon today, so checked off another "lost" trail -- and this is another from the wonderful "50 Hiking Trails" book that the Lowes put out in the mid-80s, with a bunch of hikes on fading trails. So today, it was the short trail up Bald Mountain, a peak that is completely surrounded by busy trails, but whose little summit path is forgotten by most.

Here's a map showing the spur, as it climbs from the Timberline Trail to the summit of Bald Mountain.

Bald Mountain isn't bald on top, anymore - but there is still a spectacular, front-row view from the summit that surpasses the more common views had from the Timberline Trail, visible far below. To find the old trail, look for these big trees, and the faint path between them, on your left, approximately 55 footsteps beyond the wilderness register on southbound Trail 600:

The first 1/4 mile or so is the only really brushy section - you'll be pushing through huckleberries and false azalea that crowd the rustic path, but never block it. Here's a typical view along this section, including the pink flagging that I added to the sparse orange flags that were already marking a couple of spots:

The tread is in great shape, and always obvious, though I made a point of flagging the one quasi-switchback fairly well -- it's just beyond the start of the trail, and you'll swing left and uphill at this point. The main obstacle are a number of downed logs, but all but a couple can simply be stepped over. Here's a view of the upper section of trail, beyond the brushy areas -- very clear!

At the summit, I surprised a couple (and their two dogs) who were just breaking camp at this "secret" spot. The trail walks right through this campsite -- evidence of many fires here, plus a couple of concrete blocks that suggest some sort of lookout structure here in the past..? My guess is that this route pre-dates the Timberline Trail, and originally connected a temporary (or rudimentary) lookout here to the Upper Sandy Guard Station. More research to do on that topic:

From the campsite, it's simply a matter of pushing through a short thicket of alder and mountain ash (trail still obvious) to pretty rock gardens that frame the view from the east end of the summit -- the mountain wasn't particularly cooperative, but you get the idea:

The original Lowe description for this hike started at Lolo Pass to make for a more substantial hike, but this also works as a short from Top Spur if you have just a few hours, or want to sneak off to watch the sunset on the mountain after work.

I'll be adding this one to the TKO hopper as a potential "rescue" candidate, but it's really not in bad shape - well worth the trip if you'd like to avoid crowds trooping up to McNeil Point from the Top Spur mega-trailhead.

Tom

jimsiff

Re: Old Bald Mountain Trail (Mount Hood)

Post by jimsiff » September 6th, 2008, 11:41 pm

Dang Tom, you've done it again. I really should dig back into those old books. I haven't been using them much recently, and some of these gems (not this one as you attest) are fast dissapearing or already gone. Thanks for digging up another great and short backpacking trip for my 4 year old! I think I'll take her up there for a daughter-daddy overnighter before it gets too cold.
-Jim

Splintercat

Post by Splintercat » September 7th, 2008, 7:33 am

Yes, I think it would be a good mini-backpack, since you definitely get the sense of climbing a "mountain" from the viewpoint. It's steep near the overlook, but not particularly dangerous for kids. I didn't explore the south face, but it looks like there are more views down the Sandy drainage to be had just around the corner from the main viewpoint.

There is room for exactly one tent..!

Tom :)

pyles_94

Post by pyles_94 » September 7th, 2008, 7:56 am

this is real cool!

i like your shot of the hood.
Jamey Pyles

Cattrapper

Post by Cattrapper » September 7th, 2008, 12:21 pm

Nice find Tom! According to "Fire Lookouts of the Northwest" there indead was a lookout atop Bald Mtn., established in the 30's. Unfortunately, they give no further details about it.
"Come visit us again and again. This is a state of excitement. But for heaven's sake, don't move here to live." Tom McCall

pyles_94

Post by pyles_94 » September 7th, 2008, 8:42 pm

you should add this to the field guide!
Jamey Pyles

Splintercat

Post by Splintercat » September 7th, 2008, 9:50 pm

Yeah, I'm thinking I'll do that, Jamey. I added enough flags to make the route very obvious, provided I give it the "off trail" tag in the guide.

Thanks for the info Cattrapper - I had looked around online a bit, without much luck. I think I've got that book around here, somewhere, if I can uncover it..! I'm guess that the summit of Bald Mountain was also clear back in the day - it's a very young forest up there.

The other bit of history in the area that most know about is the wood shelter that once stood at the corner of the big 4-way intersection of the PCT and Timberline Trail (called the Bald Mountain Shelter). If anyone has a photo of that (or has seen a photo), let me know! The building was apparently the same design as the existing shelter at Elk Meadows, and one at Ramona Falls that has also been lost to time. It shows up as recently as on a 1970 MHW map, and I'm pretty sure I visited this one as a kid - I might have even camped in it. My dad has some old slides from a trip there that I need to sort through... when I have some time!

Tom

fettster

Post by fettster » September 8th, 2008, 9:46 am

Cool find. I'd heard there was a trail up to the summit but this is the most detailed info I've seen before. Only one tent huh? I guess you better hope for the best if that's where you're trying to stay for the night given you found someone who'd stayed there.

EDIT: typo
Last edited by fettster on September 9th, 2008, 6:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Splintercat

Post by Splintercat » September 8th, 2008, 11:02 pm

Here's a bit more info, given the interest in the campsite -- this is a view from approximately the west end of the summit, looking east toward the opening that forms the overlook. As you can see, the summit is covered in a young forest of noble fir:

While there is only one "groomed" campsite (and it's right on top of the trail - might make sense to move it) there are plenty of flat spots with little or now vegetation up there for an addition 2 or 3 tent spots. The other advantage, as mountain tops go, is the forest canopy - it's quite protected under those trees.

The main disadvantage (like any mountain top) is no water. The nearest water source is the tiny creek along the Top Spur trail. So, that's why I was a little concerned to see a fire pit up there. I'd appreciate feedback on that point - my instinct is to decommission the fire pit on my next visit. I'm of the mindset that fire pits ought to be within sprinting distance of a water source in order to reasonably guarantee that they are put out. The folks who had camped here did not put this fire out to my standard of "out" - I finished the job for them.

-Tom

jimsiff

Post by jimsiff » September 8th, 2008, 11:14 pm

I'd recommend decomissioning the fire pit for a couple reasons:

1) No easy access to water (as you said)
2) Low traffic area, unlikely to see repeat visitors to catch a smoldering campfire

Generally, if I build a small fire in a low usage camp, I disperse the rocks and bury any remaining cold ashes when I'm done.
-Jim