Wallalute Falls Update

Discussions and Trip Reports for off-trail adventures and rediscovering lost trails
Splintercat

Wallalute Falls Update

Post by Splintercat » August 24th, 2008, 8:07 pm

I posted this before/after photo-comparison last year to show the changes to the Eliot Branch resulting from the November 2006 floods:

The entire stream bed had dropped about 50 feet, and that meant that Wallalute Falls had grown by 50 feet, or so. Since then, Andy and Jamie have been suggesting a trip to the falls to re-create this photo of "Strawnahan's [sic] Falls", taken circa 1893:

This is Wallalute Falls, of course -- and "Strawnahan" appears to be a misspelling of "Stranahan", a local family of that period, and also the name of the ridge to the northwest of Wallalute Falls.

So I had a chance this week to scout the canyon again, and see how things were shaping up -- at first glance, things looks about the same as last year:

But looking a bit closer, the canyon in the vicinity of the falls continues to unzip -- note that the little side falls is still in working order, on year later. But the ominous development is the big, concave overhang near the side falls:

Upon closer examination, it turns out to be a huge semi-cave cut out of what looks to be consolidated pyroclastic material... and right next store to this scary overhang is a house-sized block that has slipped into the stream (partly obscured by the bend):

Yowsa! The falls, itself, continues to be its usual, burly self, but suddenly a lot less fun to reach..!

Added to the hazard of a major collapse are the perpetual falling rocks that I watched dropping in both sides of the canyon from my vantage point, and the problem of that last 50 feet down to the stream - the stream banks are over-steepened and present an interesting obstacle for both descending and making your way back up..!

So... I think I'm gonna give this area a few years to stabilize before I go trooping down there..!

Tom :shock:

Sore Feet

Re: Wallalute Falls Update

Post by Sore Feet » August 24th, 2008, 9:44 pm

If this happens in the next month, be sure to give me a couple days heads up. I'd love to get in on it and I'm not working right now so any date works for me (right now at least, dance card won't stay free for long).

Splintercat

Post by Splintercat » August 25th, 2008, 7:01 am

Well, I'm seriously going to give it a year or two to settle down -- the risk of getting squished under a house-sized boulder is pretty tiny, but the risk of getting your coconut knocked off by a flurry of soccer-ball-sized rocks is still quite high. Another winter/spring cycle (or two) should help that out.

BTW, Bryan - your 2.0 version of the website is outstanding! I had some time to really look around last week, and am really impressed. You've outdone yourself... again! :)

Tom

Sore Feet

Post by Sore Feet » August 25th, 2008, 1:15 pm

Splintercat wrote:BTW, Bryan - your 2.0 version of the website is outstanding! I had some time to really look around last week, and am really impressed. You've outdone yourself... again! :)
I damn well better have outdone myself, that bastard took over 2 years to get running. :D And I think its version 8.0, though I'm having a hard time remembering how many redesigns it went through in the first two or so years.
Hopefully the rebuild of the World Waterfall Database (which is coming next) won't take nearly as long.

Also, while we're on the topic of north side waterfalls, I was looking at the aerials of the Compass Creek drainage last night and a couple things caught my eye. I was trying to pin down the location of Lower Compass Creek Falls in relation to the confluence with the Coe Branch and in the process I think I spotted as many as 4 falls on Compass Creek ABOVE Compass Creek Falls. So we've got Compass Creek Falls here, and this is where it looks like the Timberline Trail crosses the creek. There are three very distinctly shaded alcoves in the immediate vicinity of that spot, one above the trail and two below. I'm assuming the one above the trail is the one we all know. The two below look bigger, especially that third one, and possibly more vertical. Then there was this one, with possibly a fifth just downstream where the stream bends left and enters the canyon bordered by the slide. Certainly some interesting possibilities in there, and I'm not so sure a loop down Compass Creek and up the Coe Branch wouldn't be out of the question.

One unrelated point of note - the default hyperlink colors need to be changed to something other than gray (or at least underlined), its almost impossible to discern a link from regular text.

Splintercat

Post by Splintercat » August 25th, 2008, 10:30 pm

Interesting - yes, I think Compass Creek is probably a pretty interesting possibility, and I think that lower falls is the tall, vertical plunge that you ID'd as mis-labled "Wallalute Falls" in the "Complete History of Mount Hood". The Hood area orthophotos from the State of Oregon look to be updated in Google Earth during the past few weeks, so that Coe Branch Falls is especially monstrous on the new imagery. Greg Lief and I scrambled down the west rim a ways to get a look at it, but it's rather sketchy country. I do think it's manageable to get to the bottom of Coe Branch Falls from the Timberline Trail, though -- and then maybe over to Compass Creek.

I hope to live long enough for a low-elevation circuit around the mountain that simply connects all of these waterfalls, plus all the gorgeous viewpoints poking out of the canyon walls along the way. :)

Tom

jaimito

Post by jaimito » August 31st, 2008, 10:37 pm

Awesome Tom, thanks for the update, as you know I've been scoping this one since last year when Andy and I started skeeming about it, so whenever your ready to put something together with me great, not sure like you said this year is the best but I'd still be up to it if Bryan and a few others are willing to to do the trek.

Great close ups, thanks.

Jamie

mattisnotfrench

Post by mattisnotfrench » August 31st, 2008, 11:10 pm

If this is going to go down I'd love to be in on this as well. It sounds like a blast, possibly quite literally!
Author of Extraordinary Oregon!, PDX Hiking 365, 101 Hikes in the Majestic Mount Jefferson Region, and Off the Beaten Trail. Website: www.offthebeatentrailpdx.com

bush_marmot

Post by bush_marmot » October 15th, 2008, 9:57 pm

Very cool report, Tom!
Now just where did you find a photo of "Strawnahan's [sic] Falls" from 1893?
A veritable encyclopedia of local geographical history, you are!
:)
Splintercat wrote: The entire stream bed had dropped about 50 feet
Upon closer examination, it turns out to be a huge semi-cave cut out of what looks to be consolidated pyroclastic material...
and right next store to this scary overhang is a house-sized block that has slipped into the stream (partly obscured by the bend):

Yowsa! The falls, itself, continues to be its usual, burly self, but suddenly a lot less fun to reach..!
Added to the hazard of a major collapse are the perpetual falling rocks that I watched dropping in both sides of the canyon

So... I think I'm gonna give this area a few years to stabilize before I go trooping down there..!

Yowsa, indeed!! I would give it a few years, too, unless it collapses sooner than that! I'll bet you could see changes from your vantage point every time you went there.
That "semi-cave" is growing, that whole hillside is sitting on a house of cards.
Splintercat wrote:Added to the hazard of a major collapse - the stream banks are over-steepened and
present an interesting obstacle for both descending and making your way back up..!
"An interesting obstacle for... making your way back up", indeed! You'd have blinkin' nowhere to go, if you happened to be in the streambed when that hillside collapsed. Highly unlikely you'd be there on that particular day, of course...
...but that place has "Death-Trap" written all over it. Call me a sissy if you like, but staring up at a landslide cliff of "consolidated pyroclastic" junk is for the birds (wings).

Remember the Sandy River canyon by Rushingwater Creek before/after the big flood of the early 90's? Yikes!!
Peter
:shock:

Splintercat

Post by Splintercat » October 17th, 2008, 7:53 pm

Absolutely! Plus, the similar blowout on the Muddy Fork -- these are photos from the summer of 2003, with the debris flows occurring sometime the previous winter:

Toppled forests below the Timberline Trail:

The view back to Bald Mountain showing the devastated zone:

Looking upstream into unstable country:

This was a spooky place to be that year - lots of crap still falling down in the cliffs upstream, plus really unstable ground where the Muddy Fork channel had settled.

Mother Nature bats last!

NeilDaCosta

Post by NeilDaCosta » July 22nd, 2015, 7:31 pm

I went down there yesterday. Still sketchy. Descent was pretty easy until the last drop into the creek bed. Getting out was even worse. Walking along the canyon bottom isn't too fun either. No matter what size of rock you are stepping on, expect it to move. Definitely some good views along the way though.

Low Res drone shot:

https://instagram.com/p/5bN_tSkAcZ/?tak ... eildacosta
Attachments
stranahan_NDaCosta-2-1.jpg
stranahan_NDaCosta-1.jpg