Upper Munra Ridge

Discussions and Trip Reports for off-trail adventures and rediscovering lost trails
chameleon

Upper Munra Ridge

Post by chameleon » August 6th, 2008, 8:40 pm

Last Monday I decided to make a brief trip up Munra Point, and explore the ridge beyond. It was a terrifically warm day up there with remarkably no breeze! (Very unusual for Munra) It turned out that I had the route all to myself. As I neared the summit of Munra I began to check out the ridge beyond - something that I've hoped to connect with a Moffett creek descent.
The temperature was probably in the high 90's in the bright sun on the ridge and the sky was beautifully clear. The ridge beyond Munra is remarkably fun, but highly exposed. It makes the exposed sections of Ruckel feel like a stroll in the park. For those who get up to Munra and consider going beyond...the scariest sections are yet to come! Just beyond Munra point, you come to a sharp fin of rock, which the "trail" skirts, with a steep drop to your right and not much of anything substantial to hold onto on your left. You basically carefully walk the foot-wide path as an act of faith. If you fall here, you will most likely die, and in the very least break something. You can avoid this fin by traversing down below, but as I discovered, that's not a walk in the park either.
After the scary fin, the ridge undulates for perhaps a quarter mile, with several places offering exposure on both sides, the worst of which is something of a small pyramid that rises to a small tree at the top. I discovered on the way back that there is a deer path a ways down the Tanner Creek side which you can take to avoid most of the ridge...but where's the fun in that? :)
Once you finally reach the "safety" of the trees after crossing this sunshine traverse, there is a trail up the ridge! (and a decent one at that!) I only followed it for perhaps a bit under a mile, but it was fairly easy to follow and not really that difficult. I found a LOT of cougar scat however, as well as one pile of bear scat, and one bobcat (directly on the ridge). So keep that in mind while hiking that upper ridge. It's very enjoyable and reminiscent of Ruckel Ridge (though for the most part easier).
Overall, it was a great hike. On the way back though I got completely exhausted by cutting downslope to traverse under the "fin," and then cutting back up to the trail directly under the summit of Munra in the baking sun. I'd reccomend a hat and water. It can get extremely hot up there on a windless day! I'll post a couple photos soon. The hike is much along the lines of Ruckel Ridge, though more exposed and with generally better views. Not a good hike for small kids or those with vertigo!
-Zach

Levi

Re: Upper Munra Ridge

Post by Levi » August 7th, 2008, 1:13 pm

Sounds like a great trip! I was up on Munra awhile ago but we didnt go further than the summit. It sounds like it would be worth going back and checking it out more

joerunner

Post by joerunner » August 8th, 2008, 7:44 pm

I was up at Munra a while back and looked off in that direction which is as far South of Munra pt. as I got. Here is a trip report from Pablo last year for Munra pt. to Moffet. http://portlandhikers.com/forums/thread/19118.aspx

airdrum

Post by airdrum » August 9th, 2008, 1:15 am

sounds like an epic journey Zach, probably a bit much for me, I'm willing to take some nasty exposure for the promise of a waterfall... but just to work along a ridge, hmmm...

Thanks for the report on this!
Andy

chameleon

Post by chameleon » August 9th, 2008, 9:44 am

Yeah, Pablo's trip report is great on the ridge. I think he missed the trail once in the trees though, which is pretty understandable if you are off to one side or the other a bit. The trail I found once in the trees was pretty good, and circumvented the rocky outcrops that he had some problems with. It is a blast of a ridge. The trail up it is actually better than the Tanner/Eagle connecting trail. There are some blowdowns of course, but not bad. I love Pablo's quote on routefinding on the bald sections of the ridge - that you have 2 options, on the ridge, or meet your maker...lol. Not far from the truth!
-Zach
p.s. Andy - if you are up for a Moffett trip sometime, let me know...I know of a couple of fairly easy routes now.

pyles_94

Post by pyles_94 » August 11th, 2008, 9:09 pm

nice! im looking forward to seeing some pictures!
Jamey Pyles

scrambler2

Post by scrambler2 » August 13th, 2008, 2:10 pm

Yes, please post some pictures. I headed back there solo about 10 years ago and picked up a bit of trail before running out of time. In the bald ridge section, I either stayed on the ridge or dropped off the east side and hit deer paths. Eventually entered the trees on the west side. I would love to drop in from the north if I knew for sure where the ridge meets up with the Tanner Rd. I love those ridge climbs, like the old Nesmith fire trail or Ruckel Ridge, although I get warry of the rock outcroppings - seems like a great place to get pounced on by a cat!
PCT class of 2012

chameleon

Post by chameleon » August 13th, 2008, 7:47 pm

I don't have a good way to post multiple photos, but I'll try singles as attachments. Here goes...
Attachments
117_0841.jpg

chameleon

Post by chameleon » August 13th, 2008, 7:48 pm

Here's a photo from when the ridge finally reaches the trees, looking back.
Attachments
117_0845.jpg

chameleon

Post by chameleon » August 13th, 2008, 7:50 pm

A photo of the ridge, taken from before Munra. You can note the fin shortly after Munra Point.
Attachments
ridge3.jpg