BPA Powerline/Viento Ridge July 11, 2010

Discussions and Trip Reports for off-trail adventures and rediscovering lost trails
Webfoot

Re: BPA Powerline/Viento Ridge July 11, 2010

Post by Webfoot » March 28th, 2021, 12:13 pm

For some time I have wanted to do part of this hike—at least as far as the power lines—but I was put off by multiple reports of tick infestation in the area. Then I read:
Chip Down wrote:
March 19th, 2021, 7:06 pm
Nope, no ticks. The grassy powerline corridor made me a little nervous, as that would have been my best opportunity to see some.

In my experience, the tick population exploded maybe about 2016ish, and has gradually tapered off. I can't remember the last time I saw one. (yeah, I know, I probably just jinxed myself)
The quote refers to a powerline corridor on the Washington side, but that one was full of ticks in 2018 so this was very encouraging, and I figured now was my chance!

I headed out yesterday, March 27, 2021. I made it to the first tower which overlooks Starvation Creek, no ticks. Then I went to the tower to the east at the base of the columnar basalt fin. When I looked at my socks I saw more ticks than I'd seen in my life all put together. Big ones, little ones, black ones, red ones, beige ones; it was a damn zoo! The curse of the ticks continues in this area.

Chip Down

Post by Chip Down » March 28th, 2021, 7:46 pm

A tick menagerie!
The powerline corridor from Starvation to Wygant is the worst tick habitat I've ever seen. Lots of poison oak too. If I ever go back, it will when it's sub-freezing, and hopefully under a little snow. And maybe wearing a jumpsuit, with hood, and legs tucked into socks.

Webfoot, do you use permethrin? It doesn't repel ticks, but it renders them harmless. I once watched a tick crawling on my treated shirt. I didn't flick it off, since I knew there was nothing it could do to harm me if I kept an eye on it. It stumbled slowly, as if drunk, and eventually just dropped off on its own. Permethrin is a godsend. Works for mosquitos too.

Webfoot

Post by Webfoot » March 28th, 2021, 8:08 pm

LOL. I hadn't applied permethrin this year because I hadn't seen any ticks yet either. That was a mistake. But tucking my pants into my socks and wearing gloves saved me! :geek:

I am thinking about waiting for the snow too, but I need learn to really use an ice axe first.