the falls on Woodward creek: Mowitch series + 1

Discussions and Trip Reports for off-trail adventures and rediscovering lost trails
fallguy

the falls on Woodward creek: Mowitch series + 1

Post by fallguy » June 13th, 2010, 10:03 pm

I started up Woodward creek about 6:30am today hoping to reach the upper falls. On my first visit I got to the big one that Chameleon named Mowitch. I stayed above the creek until the top of Mowitch and dropped down. The water is flowing great and the vegetation was lush. There are some nice slide areas in between most of the falls. One was so appealing I involuntarily gave it a whirl on my butt for a good 20ft! I had chest waiters on so I didn't get soaked. I realized it was actually kinda fun after I finished cussing up a storm. Both the falls above Mowitch are quite photogenic but the sun reached the falls before I did. After photographing these I headed up the right ridge with the creek in sight. Not far upstream I found another nice waterfall with alot of sun on it's face. Above this the creek curves right in a series of small cascades. I turned back at this point. I will return on an overcast day and explore further. What a unique and special place.
Attachments
woodward falls overlook (1 of 1).jpg
woodward slides (1 of 1).jpg
woodward falls 3 (1 of 1).jpg
woodward falls 4 reflection (1 of 1).jpg
woodward falls 4 (1 of 1).jpg
woodward falls 5 (1 of 1).jpg
This is the upper most falls I reached

chameleon

Re: the falls on Woodward creek: Mowitch series + 1

Post by chameleon » June 13th, 2010, 10:15 pm

Great pics. I love those falls. Right between the top and middle one is a slide section that makes for some great pics on misty days as well! Great shot of the middle one - that one can be a bugger to compose. Nicely done!

AlexanderSupertramp

Post by AlexanderSupertramp » June 14th, 2010, 7:01 am

Those pics are great even with the crappy light. Well done!

jaimito

Post by jaimito » June 14th, 2010, 8:19 am

The reflection shot is stellar - Nice job.

fallguy

Post by fallguy » June 14th, 2010, 3:11 pm

Thanks guys. I definitely suspect more falls upstream. The topo map doesn't scream waterfalls on woodward but that's the best part. Finding the gem when no clues were provided. There's still plenty out there. Anyone want to go to Glacier nation park this summer?

CuriousGorgeGuide

Post by CuriousGorgeGuide » June 16th, 2010, 12:35 am

Sounds like fun---i need some of them chest-high waders!!

runsfast2002

Post by runsfast2002 » June 3rd, 2017, 2:25 pm

I know your post is about seven years old but I'm hoping to get some information. I spent a good four hours this morning trying to find Woodward Creek. The instructions I found were to go up Kueffler Rd three miles from Highway 14 and look for a user trail that went about a mile or so to Woodward and from there the Mowitch series and one called Shrouded Falls. I found some possible trails but they petered out very quickly, nothing I wanted to try to follow for over a mile if I wanted to find my way out before next Christmas. Is it possible to get there from the aptly named Woodward Creek Rd or Scott Rd? I don't intend to tell everyone about this find, assuming I ever get there, I'm just a girl with a camera and a tripod. Thanks!

Holly

beag

Post by beag » June 3rd, 2017, 8:56 pm

Holly,

I am very familiar with area including the Russ Jolley trail from Hardy Ridge to ST Cloud on SR 14. RJ trail crosses Keufler at approx 3 miles up from 14. There are three branches of Woodward Creek. The main branch on this post was accessed from Scott road. No trails from that point, you just have to follow the Creek. There is a good trail to Woodward at the three mile mark on Keufler which should be easy enough to follow because I was in there a few weeks back. Starting point is where there is parking for 5 or six cars. Old logging road to East takes you up to Hardy Ridge and you have to cross East branch of Woodward. Trail into main branch of Woodward heads west from that parking area. You must cross a small creek at the beginning of hike and walk on a log to cross a bigger creek 15 minutes into the hike. Not many people hike in there so it can become overgrown.

Guy

Post by Guy » June 5th, 2017, 3:17 pm

hiking log & photos.
Ad monte summa aut mors