Devil Canyon Falls (June 6)

Discussions and Trip Reports for off-trail adventures and rediscovering lost trails
Splintercat

Re: Devil Canyon Falls (June 6)

Post by Splintercat » June 14th, 2010, 2:25 pm

Hey, Matt -- welcome to Portland Hikers!

I know exactly the route you followed from the west -- I took the same route down to the creek a few years ago, and stopped after descending the first tier (back in the trees). One look at the massive horizon line, and I knew I wasn't going to be scrambling down that way! Very cool that you went down with ropes.

There is no USFS proposal that I know of, but I worked one up for Trailkeepers of Oregon a couple years ago, and it was briefly available on the PH Field Guide, so you might have seen something there. The general concept is to relocated the Zigzag South (aka Burnt Lake South) trailhead to the base of the mountain, off Road 27, and gate Enola Hill Road where it begins the steep, bumpy, city-car thrashing climb. That's consistent with a TKO concept for extending trails in a way that provides new and interesting hikes, but also allows for long spur-road accesses to be abandoned, since they have all manner of negative environmental and human impacts.

Interesting that the middle tier is more of a flat spot than a pool -- that would explain why (from below) the middle and lower tier almost seems like a continuous drop when we were there. Very beautiful, rugged terrain in there!

Tom

BrianEdwards

Re: Devil Canyon Falls (June 6)

Post by BrianEdwards » June 16th, 2010, 11:50 pm

Hey Matt, you've done a descent of Pup Creek also, right??? Like two years ago or so? I think you mentioned it in your only other post on Portland Hikers.

http://www.portlandhikers.org/forum/vie ... 104#p10104

So what other crazy waterfall adventures have you partaken in ;)
Clackamas River Waterfall Project - 95 Documented, 18 to go.