The other stone arch

Discussions and Trip Reports for off-trail adventures and rediscovering lost trails
Rollin

The other stone arch

Post by Rollin » May 27th, 2010, 9:21 pm

Instead of going up rock of ages we went up the other ridge of horsetail. To our surprise there is another stone arch on the other side. It didn't look like many people go up there, so I'm not sure if it's well known?.
IMG_3419.JPG
IMG_3422.JPG
Attachments
IMG_3414.JPG

AlexanderSupertramp

Re: The other stone arch

Post by AlexanderSupertramp » May 27th, 2010, 9:28 pm

Good job! Where is that, I want details :D

chameleon

Post by chameleon » May 27th, 2010, 9:33 pm

Sweet. Cool find.

Don Nelsen

Post by Don Nelsen » May 27th, 2010, 9:43 pm

Hey Rollin, that is way cool! Thanks for the report. Can't wait to check it out - more info as to exactly where it is?

don
"Everything works in the planning stage" - Kelly

"If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do" - Warren Miller

raven

Post by raven » May 27th, 2010, 11:15 pm

That route was easy to find when I did it. Continue beyond Ponytail Falls and look for a trail going up as the trail turns west. The route I took was a bit further west, but was poison oak heaven a short way up for a distance. The footpath is obvious on the top of the defined ridge. The arch is, by memory, about 1000' to 1100' elevation.

I'll save the details -- I did that ridge a long time ago. The interesting part was determining when to exit the ridge top. The trail disappeared, so I pressed on walking logs, parting branches en route, and managed to surprise a bear who was on the log I was walking along, face to face only 15 feet apart. Wonderful! But I had probably missed the more appropriate exit when the trail disappeared

Rollin, where and how did you exit the ridge? Or did you do an up and back?

Rollin

Post by Rollin » May 28th, 2010, 12:17 pm

Hi Raven, It was very walkable up top. I actually found the trail from when I got lost going up rock of ages in winter and very* thankfully found the old trail that splits off of this one before the ridge. Do you know of that old one too? There is even an old bridge, it's in the creek area..

We just went after work so we didn't have time to follow the ridge all the way back. I thought it would be an easy exit looking at the topo but I haven't done it.

northridge

Post by northridge » May 28th, 2010, 12:21 pm

I traveled this ridge earlier this year and also came across the "other" arch, certainly a nice surprise. Access to the ridge can involve some scrambling and exposure depending on the path taken and, in my opinion should be done when the main trail below is clear of folks, such as early morning. (It could be possible to inadvertently knock a stone down). The arch is a short distance up the ridge. There are some other little obstacles along the ridge to deal with and the faint trail does eventually disappear. One descent option is trail 425 which is eventually crossed higher up by heading in the appropriate direction. A nice trip for those with experience who can travel gently. The carpet of moss around the arch is undisturbed which adds to the charm.
Last edited by northridge on May 28th, 2010, 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Guy

Post by Guy » May 28th, 2010, 12:34 pm

Hi Raven, It was very walkable up top. I actually found the trail from when I got lost going up rock of ages in winter and very* thankfully found the old trail that splits off of this one before the ridge. Do you know of that old one too? There is even an old bridge, it's in the creek area..
Would this be the old Russ Jolly trail that connected to Rock of Ages? I have heard about but never seen it on a an old map or GPS route. If anyone has such a map I'd love to see it.

Thanks.
hiking log & photos.
Ad monte summa aut mors

Lurch

Post by Lurch » May 28th, 2010, 1:30 pm

Geeze you guys are just giving away *all* the secrets of the gorge...

Horsetail Ridge is one of my favs. The camps in horsetail canyon may be a bit misplaced

Last edited by Lurch on May 22nd, 2017, 10:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rollin

Post by Rollin » May 28th, 2010, 4:47 pm

Nice!

I'm going to be trying to figure out the trail with the mark "Rock of Ages" for awhile. It looks like it may take some serious planning, trial, and error.