Silver Star's twin falls and the "Chasm"

Discussions and Trip Reports for off-trail adventures and rediscovering lost trails
Don Nelsen

Re: Silver Star's twin falls and the "Chasm"

Post by Don Nelsen » July 22nd, 2008, 4:03 pm

pablo wrote:Great report Don, great photos, a real special place that I doubt has seen very many people.

Thx,

--Paul
Thanks, Paul. It's too bad you can't see the falls (except a scant partial view of one of them) from any of the maintained Silver Star trails. It would be nice to get the Starway Trail back on the list of "maintained" trails and more folks could enjoy the views.
"Everything works in the planning stage" - Kelly

"If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do" - Warren Miller

Don Nelsen

Post by Don Nelsen » July 22nd, 2008, 4:11 pm

Splintercat wrote:Nice report, Don - and that's a fine photo of the slot canyon, too. The tree really gives it scale... now you just need a log spanning the top that you can shimmy onto for an aerial view..! :D

Lots of snow up there, still - amazing! I can't remember this much snow hanging into late July at such low elevations... maybe in the 70s? Long time, anyway.

Great photos!

-Tom
Thanks for the kind comments, Tom. Now if you would just hike out there with me, maybe we could push one of the downed trees out far enough to get that aerial view. :)

I've been paying attention to snow levels in the mountains for a lot of years and I don't think there's been so much snow at such low levels this late in modern times. The snow below the falls was still there in spots, at 2,400' elevation on 7/20 and that's pretty significant. Statistically, we've had significantly more snow for 6 out of the last 10 years. Hmmmmm... could this a trend?

"If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do" - Warren Miller

Don Nelsen

Post by Don Nelsen » July 22nd, 2008, 4:25 pm

airdrum wrote:Don, awesome definitely a place which must be investigated. I see that without Lindsay and I in tow your preferred way of negotiating the small drops is to simply leap, you crazy man! I really hope the neck gets better. I don't know how you go out and do these things, alone, and stay motivate the whole time while in constant nagging pain. That's some great spirit you have!

So, is it definitely possible to scramble down to the base, or just plausible (based on what you were able to see)? Also, I'm curious as to if there was any exposure on that rock slope leading back to Ed's trail? The shot of the recently fallen boulder makes it look like you were skirting the edge of the entire silver star canyon, hopefully you can assure me it's just a photo effect!

Thanks for the report, let's explore more when the water get flowing well again!
Thanks for the kind words, Andy. The neck is a lot better so I am encouraged - at least so far. (Also encouraged to not do some of the things that aggravate it!)

I'm reasonably sure you could scramble to the base of the twin falls. The slope angle isn't bad and the rock has great traction and good holds. There was no exposure on the way back to Ed's trail beyond the fact that it was something like a 35 to 40 degree slope. Once at the edge of the cliff face, there was a lot of our favorite plant (slide alder) to hold on to :D

The area above the twin falls appeared to be a glacial cirque. I want to go back soon to see if I can find some striations to prove it. Also, I'd like to measure the falls. Interested?

Don

Splintercat

Post by Splintercat » July 22nd, 2008, 6:59 pm

Andy and Jamie specialize in that, Don..! But don't forget the 2-ways for that exercise - I've learned the hard way that the spotter at the bottom (me) really can't rely on flapping of the arms and frantic yelling in the noise of the falls to communicate to the guy on top..! Jamie did great with the 2-way at Chak Chak. I usually pick up a ball of neon-pink nylon twine at Freddies for the task, since it's surprisingly easy for the twine to get caught and form loops on the way down - the color helps you know when to tell the guy on top to reel in a bit to unhook from snags. I think it comes in 300 foot rolls, which looks like it would cover your waterfalls just fine.

Another tip: tie the string to a stick, not a rock -- something about two feet long and an inch or so thick (rocks tend to slip out, no matter how creative the "knot"). Also, don't suddenly pull on the bottom end of the twine without telling the guy at the other end... at least not until after he's tied a loop in the line to mark the height... :lol:

Great waterfalls, Don!

Tom

Grannyhiker

Post by Grannyhiker » July 22nd, 2008, 7:08 pm

And this was "taking it easy"? Please don't overdose on the Advil, it can cause bleeding in the stomach or elsewhere--for me, in the blood vessels of my retinas!

carlos masters

Post by carlos masters » July 30th, 2008, 9:13 pm

Looks ;like I need a trip to Silver Star just to do the slot. I typically hike Silver Star early season from the south and make a loop from the top to the west and catch the low level return trail. Perhaps a loop to the east including the slot and Chimney rocks....

Don Carlos