Rock Creek and Nelson Creek near Stevenson

Discussions and Trip Reports for off-trail adventures and rediscovering lost trails
Sore Feet

Re: Rock Creek and Nelson Creek near Stevenson

Post by Sore Feet » January 20th, 2010, 10:27 pm

chameleon wrote:Bryan, as I was researching Rock Creek, I came across something you might find interesting. Remember that old book I pointed you toward a while back the Mazama one from 1915? Anyway, in it, he describes both Rock Creek falls, and the description of the lower one differs dramatically from what we have today...

"On Rock Creek less than a mile above Stevenson, the stream passes over a ledge of sedimentary rock, and drops in a broad sheet for almost a hundred feet. A short distance above is a similar fall of lesser height. These falls differ from the others in spreading their flow and pouring over the brink in a broad sheet, and not in a concentrated mass, as do the streams on the Oregon side."

It seems that due to the crumbly nature of the lower falls, its shape has changed a lot since then. Not only that, but its not nearly as tall (albeit, the author of that article is prone to exageration about falls heights in the first place...but still). It seems that it has been doing a fair job of carving its way down and creating a muddy notch rather than a broad shelf. Anyway, thought you'd find that interesting.

-Zach
As I understand it, its a lot more interesting an violent than that even. Based on what I've read about the geologic history of Rock Creek, the main conduit for transforming the lower falls was the possible collapse of an underground lava tube roughly beneath the channel of the creek where the lower falls used to stand. There are several old pictures of a waterfall on Rock Creek which I presume to be the lower falls pre-alteration (below) and if this is indeed the same waterfall, the collapse of the lava tube allowed the creek to bite into the bedrock very heavily and basically pushed the brink of the falls upstream a good 200-300 feet in the last 60-70 years.

Upper Rock Creek Falls in 1936, not much changed since then:

Lower Rock Creek Falls in1936, HUGE difference:
Image Image

Now I'm not sure about the whole 'lava tube collapsing' thing. It looks like another possibility is the lower falls just punched a deep pool in the soft bedrock deep enough that a crack opened which allowed a pool retained behind a small natural dam to break and scour out the less steep parts of the cascades, and that the actual brink of the falls hasn't moved in the 74 years since those pictures were taken. Either way, one of the best places to witness the power of water.

chameleon

Post by chameleon » January 20th, 2010, 10:39 pm

Holy Cow!!! That doesn't even look like the same place. While it's obvious that the crappy mud/rock mix of the strata there is horrendously unstable, I wouldn't have expected that much of a tranformation - especially in just 80 years or so! However with the incredible flow we see on this stream during winter, I guess I shouldn't be surprised. And you know what it looks like to me...a huge part of the shelf that existed on the lower falls in 1915 must have collapsed between then and that photo. All that rubble is probably due to that collapse, and also the reason it was cleared out so easy and tranformed into the huge muddy punchbowl of today. Very cool stuff Bryan!
-Zach

Splintercat

Post by Splintercat » January 20th, 2010, 11:01 pm

Here's a cool website devoted to the slide. Be sure to download the slideshow -- some great historical stuff there.

Tom

Solstice

Post by Solstice » May 12th, 2022, 7:45 pm

I am not the property owner but I have looked into this. The Nelson Creek waterfall and all nearby access on both sides of the creek both upstream and downstream is indeed private property. We need to amend / delete this description. It's irresponsible and disrespectful to continue to have falls photos and access description posted here.

Also - there is a TON of poison oak all along that section. Unavoidable without breaking new trail and causing erosion.

We have been asked to not trespass - which is the only access. Thanks for preserving relationships and access in other areas by respecting all land stewards.

wildcat

Post by wildcat » May 13th, 2022, 8:42 am

Keep the photos but put the access directions in strikethrough text, and edit an update footnote into the OP between them and the description saying to the effect that the property has since been sold off in the 12 years since this thread was last active and is now closed private property, thus is inaccessible.

Just deleting the photos has the undesirable effect of removing the historical record that the trail was, at one time, usable. Leaving a footnote makes sure people will be aware of its current status, since cell phones and social media websites, as of the 2020s, have conditioned majority Americans to have the attention span of a two-year old, and probably can't be bothered to read this thread all the way to the end. Just saying; especially if they come across it through a general Web search for trails in the gorge.
Life in Chacos
nwhikers.net: thewildcat

Bosterson

Post by Bosterson » May 13th, 2022, 9:22 am

Solstice wrote:
May 12th, 2022, 7:45 pm
We need to amend / delete this description. It's irresponsible and disrespectful to continue to have falls photos and access description posted here.
Welcome to the forum. You necromanced (brought back from the dead) a trip report from 12 years ago by someone who doesn't even use this site anymore. The Field Guide (the hiking guide attached to this forum) is a separate thing from these forums. If you have feedback about something in the Field Guide, there is a forum here where you can request updates. :)
#pnw #bestlife #bitingflies #favoriteyellowcap #neverdispleased

bobcat

Post by bobcat » May 15th, 2022, 11:31 am

I've done some advisories and strike thrus regarding Nelson Creek Falls. Posters here usually do not knowingly post about forays onto forbidden land. If they do, the reports are rescinded at the time. I'm working on the assumption that access was "tolerated" at the time of the post but the situation has changed. Hopefully, the current landowners have also posted No Trespassing signs at all access points.