Rock Creek and Nelson Creek near Stevenson

Discussions and Trip Reports for off-trail adventures and rediscovering lost trails
chameleon

Rock Creek and Nelson Creek near Stevenson

Post by chameleon » January 18th, 2010, 8:46 pm

I decided to use the dry weather this afternoon to hit Rock Creek and Nelson Creek NOTE (5/15/22): NELSON CREEK FALLS IS ON PRIVATE LAND. THERE IS NO PUBLIC ACCESS. DO NOT ATTEMPT TO GO THERE!. I'd never been there before, but by following Bryan's directions on his site, found them pretty easily. Both Rock Creek Falls are basically surrounded by residences, but Nelson was just a tad more wild. I pretty much just drove up the road and listened till I heard the falls, and pulled off to the side. As it turned out, I was right on the very top of Nelson falls. I rappelled straight down the Eastern side...but found out my rope was a bit short at the bottom. I unclipped and slid down a mud embankment, hoping there'd be a way to scramble up downstream, since I wouldn't be able to get back up to my rope. Luckily there was. Actually, there is something of a trail, with 2 or 3 switchbacks even.
Anyway, my way down was more fun. :) It just meant I had to retrieve my ropes from the top. Anyway, here are a few pics from today.
-Zach
Rock Creek - Lower Rock Creek Falls.jpg
Rock Creek - Upper Rock Creek Falls 1.jpg
Rock Creek - Upper Rock Creek Falls 3 - Bottom.jpg
Nelson Creek 1.jpg
Nelson Creek - Nelson Falls.jpg
Nelson Creek - Above Nelson Falls.jpg

Sore Feet

Re: Rock Creek and Nelson Creek near Stevenson

Post by Sore Feet » January 18th, 2010, 9:19 pm

Two questions for you:
1 - Did you take the 'through the cemetary' route to Upper Rock Creek Falls
2 - I found a faint narrow path leading to the bottom of Nelson Falls but it was way too brushy when I hit it last May and I couldn't find my way to a view. Mind elaborating on your route out of the canyon?

chameleon

Post by chameleon » January 18th, 2010, 9:34 pm

Yeah, I went through the cemetary. There are actually unlocked gates on both sides - just went through both of them. However, I did notice that there is a trail that follows the bank above the stream that runs from the Lower falls to the Upper.

NOTE (5/15/22): NELSON CREEK FALLS IS ON PRIVATE LAND. THERE IS NO PUBLIC ACCESS. DO NOT ATTEMPT TO GO THERE! On Nelson, there is a bend in the Nelson Road right where you finally can look down into the canyon. There is a little pull-out area there. Over the guard-rail you'll find a trail that has two or three good switchbacks at the top, but as it descends it becomes steeper, resembling little more than a game trail down. That's actually how I found it - about 200 feet downstream of the base of the falls, you find what looks like a steep deer path up that begins at a large cedar tree with a bunch of old glass bottles on the ground nearby. I followed it and it became this trail. It's actually not brushy at all this time of year, other than a bit of annoying blackberry vines at the bottom.

jaimito

Post by jaimito » January 18th, 2010, 9:50 pm

sweet, Nelson Creek looks especially nice - that first shot of Rock Creek looks like a potential mud pit.

Good job as always Zach.

chameleon

Post by chameleon » January 18th, 2010, 10:07 pm

Yeah, it is a big mud hole. In fact there were several impressive mudslides off the opposite embankment while I was there. While I wasn't terribly impressed with it aesthetically, I admired its power this time of year. It truly is a thunderous waterfall right now. Don't doubt it though, sections of the bank can sluff off at any time. Those of us who venture to the edge to get a pick need to be weary of that and watch and listen to what the ground below us is doing! And even then...not a great idea. Probably much safer during the dry season.

Sore Feet

Post by Sore Feet » January 19th, 2010, 6:19 pm

chameleon wrote:NOTE (5/15/22): NELSON CREEK FALLS IS ON PRIVATE LAND. THERE IS NO PUBLIC ACCESS. DO NOT ATTEMPT TO GO THERE! On Nelson, there is a bend in the Nelson Road right where you finally can look down into the canyon. There is a little pull-out area there. Over the guard-rail you'll find a trail that has two or three good switchbacks at the top, but as it descends it becomes steeper, resembling little more than a game trail down. That's actually how I found it - about 200 feet downstream of the base of the falls, you find what looks like a steep deer path up that begins at a large cedar tree with a bunch of old glass bottles on the ground nearby. I followed it and it became this trail. It's actually not brushy at all this time of year, other than a bit of annoying blackberry vines at the bottom.
Okay, that sounds like the spot I dropped down at. It was pretty crumbly even when dry and there was quite a bit of ripe Poison Oak when I hit the area in early May last year. I'll have to take another look at it next time I'm down there.

chameleon

Post by chameleon » January 19th, 2010, 6:33 pm

Bryan, as I was researching Rock Creek, I came across something you might find interesting. Remember that old book I pointed you toward a while back the Mazama one from 1915? Anyway, in it, he describes both Rock Creek falls, and the description of the lower one differs dramatically from what we have today...

"On Rock Creek less than a mile above Stevenson, the stream passes over a ledge of sedimentary rock, and drops in a broad sheet for almost a hundred feet. A short distance above is a similar fall of lesser height. These falls differ from the others in spreading their flow and pouring over the brink in a broad sheet, and not in a concentrated mass, as do the streams on the Oregon side."

It seems that due to the crumbly nature of the lower falls, its shape has changed a lot since then. Not only that, but its not nearly as tall (albeit, the author of that article is prone to exageration about falls heights in the first place...but still). It seems that it has been doing a fair job of carving its way down and creating a muddy notch rather than a broad shelf. Anyway, thought you'd find that interesting.

-Zach

Splintercat

Post by Splintercat » January 19th, 2010, 10:38 pm

Interesting, Zach! Definitely crappy rock over in that area -- basically, thousands of years of slides, ranging from the "big one" that blocked the Columbia to hundreds of smaller events. It doesn't bode well for waterfalls lasting long, but Upper Rock Creek seems to be holding up, thus far. I noticed that the property on the east side of the falls had been cleared last winter, and was up for sale when I check the web. Sad to see that happen - no way to treat a waterfall.

I like your stream view of the upper falls -- did you have to use a rope to get down there? Not a huge drop, but definitely abrupt.

Thanks for the pics!

Tom :)

chameleon

Post by chameleon » January 19th, 2010, 11:01 pm

Yeah, that upper waterfall needs protection. I wasn't expecting anything that photogenic, especially after seeing its downstream sibling that resembles punchbowl falls if you multiply the flow by 10 and transform all the surrounding walls into mud. It is absolutely breath-taking. And I'd love to pick the brains or locals for any ghost stories attributed to it. It's hard for me to believe that with such a fantastical feature only a few dozen feet from the quiet graves of several old-timers of the area (the sign on the graveyard said "circa 1860,") that there aren't circulated stories of ghostly figures appearing at the overlook in the bluish glow of the falls under moonlight. I mean, seriously...if I were a ghost (not that I believe in them, but still) and I was buried in that graveyard, I'd meander over and set at the overlook at night...wouldn't you? lol. I'm fairly certain if the residents nearby were willing, and you asked enough of them, stories would emerge.

But anyway, how this falls has missed protected and appreciated status to any meaningful degree blows my mind. It's absolutely gorgeous.

-Zach

p.s. And, yeah, its just a muddy scramble 40 feet down the hillside on something of an animal trail. No rope needed. Just watch for a strange spikey plant...which I haven't looked up yet... that'll try to get you on the way down.

Splintercat

Post by Splintercat » January 20th, 2010, 12:20 am

Interesting speculation on waterfall spirits, Zach! I love it!

Yes, this is a travesty in the making. I posted this comparison on PH.org after stopping there last winter, and also sent it off to all three members of the Skamania County Commission, asking if they had plans to protect the falls:

No response, those Skamania County isn't exactly known for its environmental stewardship. I contacted Friends of the Gorge to see if they were looking at the parcel for sale (cleared in the second photo), and while they were sympathetic, they're not acquiring land inside the "urban areas" provided in the Gorge Scenic Act. So, the falls is in a very precarious position, relying on a tiny county and city to protect it from the McMansion industry.

On the plus side, the creek has shown and interesting degree of vengeance along the lower reaches, so that might cause McMansion developers to think twice about building expensive boxes right on the rim of the canyon... I hope...

Tom