Primrose Trail?

Discussions and Trip Reports for off-trail adventures and rediscovering lost trails
VanMarmot
Posts: 1922
Joined: May 28th, 2008, 10:03 pm

Primrose Trail?

Post by VanMarmot » January 6th, 2010, 1:08 pm

In the old (1980, 1988) Lowe guides to the Gorge (35 Trails...), a trail (the "Primrose Trail") is clearly shown descending directly down the NE ridge from the top of Devil's Rest to the trail leading down to Wahkeena Springs. The Primrose trail is discussed at some length in the text. Several years ago I went around Devil's Rest looking for it but found nothing. I also looked for where it might have joined the lower trail. Again, nothing. Was this trail ever real?

User avatar
anna in boots
Posts: 2122
Joined: May 28th, 2008, 10:02 pm
Location: In the moment

Re: Primrose Trail?

Post by anna in boots » January 6th, 2010, 1:15 pm

VanMarmot wrote:a trail (the "Primrose Trail") is clearly shown descending directly down the NE ridge from the top of Devil's Rest
Funny that it's so closely connected to devils....

Ophelia:
But, good my brother,
Do not, as some ungracious pastors do,
Show me the steep and thorny way to heaven,
Whiles, like a puff' d and reckless libertine,
Himself the primrose path of dalliance treads,
And reaks not his own rede.

Laertes:
O, fear me not.

Hamlet Act 1, scene 3, 46–51

The "steep and thorny way to heaven" must be a reference to Mount Defiance.

anna in boots
Current trip reports at All Thoughts Work™ Outdoors
http://allthoughtsworkoutdoors.wordpress.com/

User avatar
n.bumppo
Posts: 254
Joined: May 15th, 2009, 7:10 pm

Re: Primrose Trail?

Post by n.bumppo » January 6th, 2010, 1:37 pm

The Primrose Trail is real. In recent years it has seem some trail maintenance and is in pretty good shape. Coming down from Devil's Rest, the trail drops onto an abandoned road bed. Keep left and you are on the upper trail to Angel's Rest. Go left on the road bed to the Primrose Trail. The Primrose Trail connects to the trail from Wahkeena just as that trails tops out at its high elevation.

I have some GPS tracks I can post later if someone doesn't beat me to it.
Dave

VanMarmot
Posts: 1922
Joined: May 28th, 2008, 10:03 pm

Re: Primrose Trail?

Post by VanMarmot » January 6th, 2010, 3:41 pm

n.bumppo wrote:Coming down from Devil's Rest, the trail drops onto an abandoned road bed. Keep left and you are on the upper trail to Angel's Rest. Go left on the road bed to the Primrose Trail. The Primrose Trail connects to the trail from Wahkeena just as that trails tops out at its high elevation.
I'd love to see your GPS track of this because I think you are describing the enhanced use trail that connects Angel's Rest and Devil's Rest. The one shown in the Lowe books takes off in the opposite direction, towards the NE.

User avatar
Don Nelsen
Posts: 3947
Joined: May 28th, 2008, 10:03 pm
Location: Vancouver, WA

Re: Primrose Trail?

Post by Don Nelsen » January 6th, 2010, 7:49 pm

Here ya go. The Primrose Path was never a "major" trail but was a nice path leading directly up to DR from trail 415. The fire in Oct. of '91 obliterated it and the last I hiked it pre-fire was in the spring of '91and obviously that was pre-GPS. The Primroses were planted every year by Trails Club members at the lower junction and the little stone circle they were in may still be found at that point. I hiked it last in '06 and the following track (in purple on the map) is from that time. Enjoy!
Primrose.jpg
Last edited by Don Nelsen on April 24th, 2021, 8:40 pm, edited 4 times in total.
"Everything works in the planning stage".

User avatar
n.bumppo
Posts: 254
Joined: May 15th, 2009, 7:10 pm

Re: Primrose Trail?

Post by n.bumppo » January 6th, 2010, 11:09 pm

When I finally got to my maps I realized I was confusing the Primrose Trail with Foxglove Way. I apologize. Thank you Don for coming to my rescue with accurate information.

I would pay good money for all those wonderful gps tracks you have Don. Have you ever considered putting them on the market?
Dave

VanMarmot
Posts: 1922
Joined: May 28th, 2008, 10:03 pm

Re: Primrose Trail?

Post by VanMarmot » January 7th, 2010, 12:16 pm

Thanks Don! You've cleared up a little bit of the mystery surrounding some of the trails in the vicinity of Devil's Rest. I'll have to go see if I can now find the Primrose Trail.

User avatar
Guy
Posts: 3319
Joined: May 10th, 2009, 4:42 pm
Location: The Foothills of Mt Hood
Contact:

Re: Primrose Trail?

Post by Guy » January 7th, 2010, 6:33 pm

VanMarmot wrote:Thanks Don! You've cleared up a little bit of the mystery surrounding some of the trails in the vicinity of Devil's Rest. I'll have to go see if I can now find the Primrose Trail.
Me Too!

Thanks Don, it's always a treat when you post one of your maps..
hiking log & photos.
Ad monte summa aut mors

User avatar
Don Nelsen
Posts: 3947
Joined: May 28th, 2008, 10:03 pm
Location: Vancouver, WA

Re: Primrose Trail?

Post by Don Nelsen » January 8th, 2010, 9:52 am

n.bumppo wrote:I would pay good money for all those wonderful gps tracks you have Don. Have you ever considered putting them on the market?
One of these days I may put a book together about the gorge but no time for that at present. I need to go back and re-do some areas with better GPS technology - the original equipment had a problem in the canyons and deep forest cover. For now, if you would like to have a track or a map, just ask.

don
"Everything works in the planning stage".

User avatar
Don Nelsen
Posts: 3947
Joined: May 28th, 2008, 10:03 pm
Location: Vancouver, WA

Re: Primrose Trail?

Post by Don Nelsen » January 8th, 2010, 9:57 am

Guy wrote:
VanMarmot wrote:Thanks Don! You've cleared up a little bit of the mystery surrounding some of the trails in the vicinity of Devil's Rest. I'll have to go see if I can now find the Primrose Trail.
Me Too!

Thanks Don, it's always a treat when you post one of your maps..

Guy, Thanks for the compliment!

VanMarmot, The lower part of the Primrose is easy enough to follow once you find the start of it but the upper half, above where it crosses an old logging road is difficult - more of a light bushwhack. With the foliage down, now is probably the best time to do it.

dn
"Everything works in the planning stage".

Post Reply