Primrose Trail?

Discussions and Trip Reports for off-trail adventures and rediscovering lost trails
bobcat

Re: Primrose Trail?

Post by bobcat » May 24th, 2021, 6:12 pm

All hail, Red Shorts!

walrus

Post by walrus » June 12th, 2021, 5:58 pm

We saw the red shorts today as we were our way down from poking around the higher reaches and they were on their way up to do more excellent work with an intriguing assortment of tall tools. All hail.

EmilyK

Post by EmilyK » August 1st, 2021, 6:35 pm

This is wonderful, I raise my glass to Red Shorts!

arlohike

Post by arlohike » January 31st, 2022, 10:01 am

Another Red Shorts sighting. Earlier this winter I was hiking up to Devil's from Wahkeena and yo-yo'd past someone several times. He'd pass me, then stop for a moment and I'd pass him, etc. Finally I passed him for what I thought was the last time, but when I got to Devil's Rest, he was already there! I said, "Is the Primrose Path usable again?" and he said, "Yes, I've been rebuilding it!" He said he was on his way to do some brush clearing on Foxglove. I took Primrose on my next trip up there. The bottom starts further past the rock slide and is much more visible than before. The top is the same and still has the original "sled" sign. Although I haven't tried it yet, I noticed that the forest road halfway up, which connects over to the Foxglove trails, has also been improved. Yay!
TrailCheck (iOS / Android)
Elevation Tracker (iOS / Apple Watch)

bobcat

Post by bobcat » February 1st, 2022, 7:58 am

Nobody's worked on the "forest road" connector to Primrose Path from the Devils Fork side (as far as I can tell) but it will be interesting if that opens up. I think it's been abandoned since the '90s.

dmthomas49

Post by dmthomas49 » February 1st, 2022, 3:04 pm

I was up on Angel's Rest this morning. On the way down at about 9:20, saw a young guy with "Red Shorts". Is Red Shorts a young guy. Should I have asked if he was Red Shorts or ask if he was doing trail maintenance? He did not appear to have any tools with him.
"The clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness."
— John Muir

Petr

Post by Petr » March 9th, 2022, 9:00 am

Red Shorts is a "young" old guy and is extremely grateful for the March 5, 2022 major log out, done by others, of the "new" Primrose Path.
7 trunked tree log cut.jpg
The main trunk of this 7 trunked tree had broke off and was a major hurdle, no more!
Devil's Cutoff junction.jpg
All that remains is this jumble of logs at the Devil's CUT OFF old roadbed, which Red Shorts has now cleaned up enough that only 1 log needs to be stepped over. There is also a log free flagged detour around. The entire Primrose Path is now in great shape and is now less than half a mile. Be aware that trekking poles are highly recommended for downhill travel and that trail usage has resulted in some cutoff cherry saplings that now protrude above the trail tread. Red Shorts will cut these off when he does the Spring brush out. He observed a large party traveling the Devil's CUT OFF , the first hikers he has ever seen using this almost refurbished trail, Don Nelson has completely logged this out as well, along with Devil's Fork, Foxglove, Lily's Lane. Thanks Don!
Foxglovia.jpg
Take a picture of this rough map with your cellphone (if you carry one) showing new labels for trails, along with distances. The lower "official" trail #415 still has 13 logs over it between Angel's Rest and Mist Creek (as of Feb. 25th) and was in much need of attention, Lily's Lane is the same distance and is much dryer for those not wanting mud and water on the trail, and is now in great shape. Red Shorts does appreciate the "all hails" and is humbled at what he has accomplished in renewing the excitement in maintaining, rebuilding, and hiking the Foxglove area!
Well Jim, where to next?

Charley

Post by Charley » March 9th, 2022, 3:15 pm

Nicely done! If there's ever an area that can benefit from the crowd-spreading wonders of trail building and trail maintenance, this is it.
Believe it or not, I barely ever ride a mountain bike.

Don Nelsen

Post by Don Nelsen » March 9th, 2022, 7:22 pm

Petr wrote:
March 9th, 2022, 9:00 am
...The lower "official" trail #415 still has 13 logs over it between Angel's Rest and Mist Creek (as of Feb. 25th) and was in much need of attention...
Petr, thanks for the update and the head's up about the 415 trail. I have yet to get down there to see what it needs so your report is very helpful. Are there any "big" trees down?

dn
"Everything works in the planning stage" - Kelly

"If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do" - Warren Miller

Petr

Post by Petr » March 10th, 2022, 7:34 am

Thanks Don,
As of Feb 25, there were 13 trees needing to be cut on the #415, some of good size, but I don't recall any bigger than any you have already cut in the upper area. Note that Red Shorts has NOT done much in the way of clearing or brushing in this area. He has plans to maintain his brushing out on the main trail from Mist creek to Wahkeena Springs, and continues "relocation" projects in this area. Photo below of one such project in the switchbacks area of #415 further down the ridge below Primrose Path.
Switchbacks trail relocate.jpg
This was roughed out on March 1st in a downpour, the burned log needs cutting still, and maybe more treadwork than just boots on trail, no doubt the reason for the dramatic "detour" which had dropped quite a few feet to the left in this picture.
Well Jim, where to next?