Primrose Trail?

Discussions and Trip Reports for off-trail adventures and rediscovering lost trails
EmilyK

Re: Primrose Trail?

Post by EmilyK » April 24th, 2017, 6:57 pm

Oh! I've found the top and bottom of this trail (and assumed by their placement they were one connected trail) but have not hiked it all the way through. I didn't realize it had a name at all, but this small bit of new information on this very old post gives me a small joy today. Thanks!

pablo

Post by pablo » April 24th, 2017, 7:15 pm

EmilyK wrote:Oh! I've found the top and bottom of this trail (and assumed by their placement they were one connected trail) but have not hiked it all the way through. I didn't realize it had a name at all, but this small bit of new information on this very old post gives me a small joy today. Thanks!
I did Primrose yesterday and the trail is in much better shape now than alluded to in this post. There is easily hiked tread (although sometimes faint) throughout with a small section of logging road about halfway - at the trail/road junction there is a sign. There is a primrose planted at the northern end.

Even though it is in good shape with respect to previous years, if you are not comfortable with faint trails or you are an inexperienced hiker you'll want to have knowledgeable company along.

--Paul
The future's uncertain and the end is always near.

EmilyK

Post by EmilyK » April 26th, 2017, 1:22 am

pablo wrote: I did Primrose yesterday and the trail is in much better shape now than alluded to in this post. There is easily hiked tread (although sometimes faint) throughout with a small section of logging road about halfway - at the trail/road junction there is a sign. There is a primrose planted at the northern end.

Even though it is in good shape with respect to previous years, if you are not comfortable with faint trails or you are an inexperienced hiker you'll want to have knowledgeable company along.

--Paul
Yes, I've been paruseing this forum for a small amount of time and most everyone seems to be incredibly knowledgeable and experienced, it's wonderful to gain insight. I'm definitely not a beginner but certainly have much to learn and many miles to put under my boots. That being said, I do believe I feel confident in navigating those faint trails, and will be excited to take a jaunt down this one the next time hiking Devil's Rest.

—Emily

pablo

Post by pablo » April 26th, 2017, 1:38 pm

EmilyK wrote:
pablo wrote: I did Primrose yesterday and the trail is in much better shape now than alluded to in this post. There is easily hiked tread (although sometimes faint) throughout with a small section of logging road about halfway - at the trail/road junction there is a sign. There is a primrose planted at the northern end.

--Paul
Yes, I've been paruseing this forum for a small amount of time and most everyone seems to be incredibly knowledgeable and experienced, it's wonderful to gain insight. I'm definitely not a beginner but certainly have much to learn and many miles to put under my boots. That being said, I do believe I feel confident in navigating those faint trails, and will be excited to take a jaunt down this one the next time hiking Devil's Rest.

—Emily
Hey Emily,

Sounds great! I'm looking forward to the trip report, photos or it didn't happen. :)

--Paul

EmilyK

Post by EmilyK » April 26th, 2017, 2:05 pm

pablo wrote: Hey Emily,

Sounds great! I'm looking forward to the trip report, photos or it didn't happen. :)

--Paul
Ha alright deal, my camera is always in tow :)

—Emily

EmilyK

Post by EmilyK » April 21st, 2021, 8:13 pm

Just wanted to say I decided to hike down Primrose in it’s entirety today. Someone has definitely taken care of this since the fire (maybe quite recently too). Fresh flagging and cut brush. And some new signage as well! So mostly what I’m saying is thank you to whoever did this work.
Attachments
E080378C-D32D-49A6-BC25-9BFBE368C43B.jpeg
38D890BD-5B24-4D29-AFFC-E94F32585369.jpeg
Should I be worried?
0D01A0A0-995A-456D-88E2-A984617EBCE1.jpeg
BECE15B9-1D26-4CA5-AF93-58E84EABDD1D.jpeg
A93B67A3-DC56-4ACD-A5DA-F01C6306711E.jpeg
59194E88-4E9E-4C0F-A0F1-517C2334340B.jpeg
24D35313-544A-4583-9E83-2A7BD474ADEF.jpeg
Hmmm
BA6BA260-AECC-4F51-AA3C-BAC04A6F32F4.jpeg
New piece of trail at the bottom now pops you out a bit more west than the old alignment.

pablo

Post by pablo » April 22nd, 2021, 12:33 am

Wow, this thread is over 10 years old and here you are with an update and the promised photos, thanks. I no longer live in the area but it is nice to see this trail still has friends. I will have to make time to come up and visit Primrose after all this COVID business is done. A terrific post.

--Paul

bobcat

Post by bobcat » April 22nd, 2021, 9:33 am

Ditto! In knew those goblins would get out there sooner or later!

EmilyK

Post by EmilyK » April 25th, 2021, 9:57 pm

Thanks! Better late than never I suppose. I look forward to putting all this Covid business in the past as well, hopefully you get a chance to visit the gorge soon.

Petr

Post by Petr » May 24th, 2021, 9:45 am

Anyone recognize this cairn?
The legendary "Red Shorts" redid the Primrose Path as a solo project starting in December 2020 and as part of his scouting of the area, took these pictures on what he calls the "Devils Shaft". The Elevator Shaft was "Red Shorts" favorite climb before the fire and he wanted to have a similar climb/scramble to replace it, thus the ultimate decision to rebuild the Primrose Path. Besides, he kept encountering "lost" hikers coming down Devils Rest because they relied upon GPS which claimed there was a trail and there indeed did remain the start of a trail coming down from the top. He found Basil Clark's picture sign with the the devil on it and so as a homage to Basil, created more woodburned scrap signs with the devil on them.
By mid Winter, "Red Shorts" had roughed out the middle section, in secret, of a 3/4 mile trail that often follows the original trail. He built the trail from the bottom upwards and started from the top of the rockslide on the NE side. He abandoned the Devils Shaft idea as the rockslide was too unstable and the lower connection above trail #415 was too steep/ fragile, with trees and snags still falling in that wind prone area. And so the Disruptive Way variation was born, after an extensive scouting of the terrain and faced with the prospect of "logging" an amazing amount of downed logs, etc.. that existed after the fires.
"Red Shorts" "finished" the trail by posting the signs and connecting with the top trail. He then proceeded to make the trail shorter by gradually eliminating the "detours" around major obstacles (mainly TONS of downed wood) and so the trail is just under a half mile today. One of the major obstacles was the existence of NUMEROUS bear (and other animal) dens (beware of punching through or entrance holes) that he encountered during scouting, thus the sign on a tree that did have a bear den under the base of a tree (bear has moved out). A persistant snowpack and travel by users dictated the final layout that exists today. Hundreds have now traveled the new trail, mostly down from the top, great views!). He also cleared a trail on the "Mid Way" road that connects with the Foxglove system (rarely used even now).
Recognizing that the newly reconstructed Primrose Path was in better shape that many parts of trails 441, 420, 415, and Foxglove system (in terms of being overgrown), "Red Shorts" has been focused on brushing out these trails over the past few months. He has been out there from the top of Larch Mt, to Multnomah and Wahkeena drainages, 2 to 3 times a week for the entire pandemic, sponsered by his business, which had to curtail operations. He often carries a long pruning stick and, you guessed it, wears red shorts!
Attachments
DR cairn on Devils shaft route.jpg
DR cairn from below.jpg
DR cairn wide shot.jpg
Well Jim, where to next?