Elkhorn Falls in low flow

Discussions and Trip Reports for off-trail adventures and rediscovering lost trails
mandrake

Re: Elkhorn Falls in low flow

Post by mandrake » October 1st, 2009, 8:49 pm

Zach - here's a shot of Cave Falls from the same trip. It was a pretty long day out there, tho' the primary challenges were figuring out the best way to descend Elkhorn & Cave Falls; couple dirty rappels. The area below Elkhorn is pretty thrashy -- deep jungle terrain with a lot of fallen trees. One of our party ran afoul of a nest of yellowjackets and the lower reaches were every bit as poison oak infested as I remembered from previous outings. On the plus side, no sign of rattlesnakes or pot growers this time around.
Attachments
3740848075_1b5b29a126_b.jpg

Guy

Post by Guy » October 2nd, 2009, 4:15 pm

chameleon wrote:Guy,
Elkhorn is accessible to hiking - no special gear necessary. However, it is off trail (though on this past trip I found evidence that many years ago there was a logging road to it - the slopes above were heavily logged many decades ago it appears...) anyway, it is located about a half mile south of where the power-lines cross Dog Creek, right below Augsperger mountain. Here's a topo - .......
Thanks Zach..
hiking log & photos.
Ad monte summa aut mors

chameleon

Post by chameleon » October 3rd, 2009, 12:26 pm

You're welcome Guy - I hope you get to make it in there. It is a very neat place. Like Mandrake indicates - below Elkhorn is very jungle-ish. I think of it as Jurrassic park-ish. It's not too far to the next falls down though - the neat falls through a natural bridge, dubbed Cave Falls. He's also right that etting down to the bottom of it is a bit messy. lol But it's a pretty unusual formation too. Huge boulders collided over the stream and now on top, there is something of an earthen dam, the only opening being the cave that the stream flows through. Cool place.
-Zach