Early Autumn on Harphan Creek

Discussions and Trip Reports for off-trail adventures and rediscovering lost trails
chameleon

Early Autumn on Harphan Creek

Post by chameleon » September 24th, 2009, 9:17 pm

Yesterday evening I headed up to Harphan Creek - part in curiosity of how the colors are changing and how extremely low flow looks on Harphan, and part to look for salamanders. I've been intrigued of late by the caudata of the Gorge, and I knew the stream has a beautiful yellow/transluscent version of the Oregon Ensatina salamander, which I'd seen on another trip. It was a fantastic little trip. I did find one ensatina, about a dozen tailed frogs, two dicomptodons (Pacific Giant) larvae, and one western redback salamander hatchling (about 1 1/2 inch long).

I was surprised that there is a substantial flow still on the stream even at this time. I spent some time getting some nice photos of Klickamuks falls - the main waterfall on Harphan. Here are some different views of all, but the lowest tier (the lowest tier was not as attractive in low flow, and I've gotten good pics of it in the past). So here are a few pics of the lovely 350ft Klickamuks (Chinook for blackberries) falls...
harphan fall 1 ph.jpg
harphan fall 2 ph.jpg
harphan fall 3 ph.jpg
harphan fall 4 ph.jpg
harphan fall 5 ph.jpg
harphan fall 6 ph.jpg
harphan fall 7 ph.jpg
harphan fall 8 ph.jpg
harphan fall 9 ph.jpg
- Zach

pyles_94

Re: Early Autumn on Harphan Creek

Post by pyles_94 » September 26th, 2009, 10:08 am

zach- those are some awesome pictures! i like the low flow look on this falls.
Jamey Pyles

chameleon

Post by chameleon » September 26th, 2009, 11:39 am

Thanks Jamey,

Yeah, I was half expecting there to be no water given that it's not a huge stream in any season. However, the springs that feed it must be pretty consistent, similar to Wonder Creek. I'll probably make another trip up there in a couple weeks when the leaves begin to change. You should definately check this one out too. Getting up past that bottom drop is quite easy now, as you can climb directly up it - the right hand side has dried up completely this time of year. If you do go in - make sure to check out all the amphibians - there is a terrific diversity on this stream...

-Zach

Splintercat

Post by Splintercat » September 29th, 2009, 6:15 am

My guess there's probably a fair amount of water table runoff feeding Harphan (and Gorton) from the mini-version of Benson Plateau that exists up on Nick Eaton Ridge -- with all the basalt layers that make up these formations, there's a ton of capacity for groundwater to build up, then seep northward with the tilt of the basalt layers, until it reaches the northern canyons. I think that explains a lot of the tiny streams along the Gorge face persisting year-round (including Mist, for example).

Nice photos, Zach!

Tom :)