Slide Mountain (MHNF) - 09/20/09

Discussions and Trip Reports for off-trail adventures and rediscovering lost trails
Guy

Slide Mountain (MHNF) - 09/20/09

Post by Guy » September 22nd, 2009, 7:46 pm

The impetus for this hike came form Splintercat's post back in February about an old trail showing up on a 1938 map to the summit of Slide Mountain & some follow up posts about getting to the top of Slide Mountain today. Eric made a solo preliminary search of the area last month & found some tantalizing clues so we returned last Sunday to see what we could find.

Thanks to Eric's preliminary scouting we knew were we wanted to begin, off Forest Road 111 just past the junction with road 101. Though you can't see it from the road there is an easy to follow trail that heads off in the direction of Slide Mountain. Though we only came across once blazed tree this seems to be an old trail, large fallen trees have been cut through, trail bench cut etc.

There were some interesting finds along the way including three camp spots the last one being the most interesting. There were also a seemingly never ending supply of walking sticks left along the trail & even more at the camp sites. This final camp is about a mile from the road and from here the trail splits into 2.

One goes down to the nearby stream & from what we could see ended there.

Image Image

The second continued in the same direction toward Slide Mountian. Shortly after the camp though the trail faded out completely and no further signs of a trail could be found. We decided to head over to the Southern ridge line & continue heading West. The going was easy until we reached the 2.5 mile mark were we hit a wall of Rhodies! Actually the problem was it wasn't a wall they just slowly increased as we continued forward until we found ourselves surrounded and trapped liked flies in a web! Nothing for it but to continue battling forward though! Besides if I had turned around I would have met Chiyoko who was bringing up the rear & after being stung on her neck I didn't think she would be in the best of moods being led into the Rhodie Maze :^)...Eventually they thinned slightly again and we eventually found ourselves in bright sunshine on the Summit of Slide Mountain with a great view of Hood directly in front of us.

We were also drenched from all the dew on the Rhodie leaves. Its not a bare summit but with with some moving around you can get good views to the North & South as well as the West.

There was some talk on the previous thread about weather or not it would be possible to continue from here along the ridge line to the PCT. We didn't have time to investigate further on this trip & since we could not see the whole ridge line we can't definitively say yes or no but it's certainly worth investigating further.

Thankfully our return trip was much easier. We left the Summit staying closer to the North ridge then moved over to the South side as we descended. On our return trip we encountered virtually no Rhodies even tough sometimes we were only about 100' North of were we had climbed up! We also checked out the creek North of our entry point on our way down, before returning to the same trail and back to the road.

In Summary:

We can't say for sure that we found any trace of the Original Slide Mountain Trail. I think that my neck hurt more than my legs the next day from all the looking around in vain for a blaze on an surviving old tree! Weather or not the trail we followed for the first mile was part of this old trail we can't say but it seems to be in the right place. The timber on Slide looks to be quite young with frequent dead old growth Cedar trees that show basal fire damage. Did this hillside burn in the 40's or 50's destroying the trail I wonder?

The summit of Slide Mountain can be reached with a moderate 3.5 mile hike through the trees - Devils Club & Rhodies can be avoided.

The possibility of continuing on to the PCT is definitely worth further investigation.

For those wanting to explore further we did tie a piece of pink ribbon just back off the road to mark our starting point.

Here is Eric's GPS map, red is up, yellow is down. If you go I would recommend following our red track up to about 3750' or so then moving over to our yellow track for the rest of the trip to avoid the Rhododendrons.

As always lots more photos here if interested.

Cheers
Guy.
Last edited by Guy on September 24th, 2009, 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hiking log & photos.
Ad monte summa aut mors

pablo

Re: Slide Mountain (MHNF) - 09/20/09

Post by pablo » September 22nd, 2009, 8:45 pm

Guy,

Great report, I'm pleased to see the summit is at least part way open - from Google Earth I could not tell. And a way around the rhodies, good to know.

--Paul
The future's uncertain and the end is always near.

pablo

Post by pablo » September 22nd, 2009, 8:59 pm

Guy, one other thing,

The link below was originally posted on the old site but it is at least temporarily gone so let me give you a link to the collection of maps I imaged from the UO map library. You might find them interesting, has a copy of the 1938 map as well as a bunch of others. If you'd like the whole set rather than downloading let me know and I can burn a DVD and send it off - if you are interested PM me with an address.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/21209133@N ... 932944366/

My favorites are the 1938 and 1963 maps.

1938 MHNF
http://www.flickr.com/photos/21209133@N ... 961359247/

1963 north and south MHNF
http://www.flickr.com/photos/21209133@N ... 938415053/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/21209133@N ... 938415055/

A lifetime of lost and abandoned trails reside therein...

--Paul
The future's uncertain and the end is always near.

Splintercat

Post by Splintercat » September 23rd, 2009, 9:21 pm

Grrreat report, Guy! :D Nice to live vicariously from your great pics, and I'll definitely have to follow your footsteps up there..! Here's the 1938 map clip from the old thread:

...and another from that thread:

Here's an updated Google Earth schematic of the summit area, looking southwest and including your route:

There look to be a couple additional viewpoints along the ridge as it drops toward a saddle to the east -- I'd love to see that area, too, though it looks like a nasty slide down to the bottom, and thus the name of the mountain!

Thanks for the report -- very cool, Guy!

Tom :)

Guy

Post by Guy » September 24th, 2009, 4:59 pm

Thanks Tom, Love the updated schematic with the beer sign on it :^)..

To be honest I found the hidden campsite with all walking sticks and maintained trails in & out of it just as intriguing! I like to imagine we stumbled onto the meeting place of some secret society. Then again it could be one nutter living in the woods with a lot of time on his hands :^)...

Guy.
hiking log & photos.
Ad monte summa aut mors

Splintercat

Post by Splintercat » September 24th, 2009, 6:04 pm

Well, now that you mention THAT point... my first reaction when I saw the camps was a shiver up my spine. I've run across some creepy camps out in the brush, and generally, they're hidden for a reason! In this case, it also made me wonder if the "Ghost Woman of Zigzag Mountain" might have been living here..? :?

I'm not sure I posted it here, but I was on a fairly well-traveled "lost trail" in this same area last year and ran into a trio of women in their late 50s or early 60s who neglected to greet me as I passed them -- they were headed up and I was head down. Maybe 1/2 mile beyond the spot where I passed them, I found a dead squirrel skewered on an old snag along the trail. Chilling because I had tied a piece of plastic flagging to THE SAME TREE about an hour before, on the way up the trail... and the flagging had been replaced with the squirrel. Suffice it to say that I picked up the pace from that point forward... :shock:

Tom :D

Guy

Post by Guy » September 24th, 2009, 6:12 pm

Tom now you mention it I think you have mentioned this in passing before but never in detail, weren't you on the Cast Creek Trail & are there not other such stories about Zigzag mountain & an old Woman? If you would care to elaborate further I'd be very interested & luckily Chiyoko doesn't follow this forum :D
hiking log & photos.
Ad monte summa aut mors

Waffle Stomper

Post by Waffle Stomper » September 25th, 2009, 12:39 pm

Splintercat wrote:I found a dead squirrel skewered on an old snag along the trail. Chilling because I had tied a piece of plastic flagging to THE SAME TREE about an hour before, on the way up the trail... and the flagging had been replaced with the squirrel. Suffice it to say that I picked up the pace from that point forward... :shock:

Tom :D
That is really CREEPY.

Uh, what is with the note on image "hiker skeletons," another creepiness factor.
"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the Universe." - John Muir

Splintercat

Post by Splintercat » September 25th, 2009, 9:11 pm

Well, we ARE closing in on Halloween, Waffle... :D

Guy, there are two stories that I've shared -- one was the "ghost woman" on the Burnt Lake trail, several years ago (and that report inspired several other reports of a mysterious old woman hiking around Zigzag Mountain and on Hunchback Ridge, as I recall). The "squirrel" story is from the boot path to the summit of Bald Mountain last year... so I took Jeff with me this year for protection...

:shock:

Waffle Stomper

Post by Waffle Stomper » September 25th, 2009, 9:16 pm

Got me :lol: :lol: :lol:
"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the Universe." - John Muir