Route from Elowah Falls to Wauneka Point?

Discussions and Trip Reports for off-trail adventures and rediscovering lost trails
pablo

Route from Elowah Falls to Wauneka Point?

Post by pablo » September 19th, 2009, 10:55 am

I ran across this on the Mazamas site, if I read it right there is a route from Elowah Falls up to Wauneka Point. Anyone ever heard of such a thing? Here's the blurb from the entry found at http://www.mazamas.org/your/adventure/starts-here/C93/:
[...] An unusual loop hike in the Gorge that includes approximately 2 miles that is off-trail and occasionally steep and rough, but it is nevertheless a marvelous experience if the weather is halfway decent and you have a taste for this sort of thing. Brush and poison oak in the past have not been bad. Route ascends “Wauneka Point” from Elowah Falls to join with the Wauneka Point Trail. We then loop back on McCord Creek and Nesmith Point Trails. [...]
Very intriguing, Wauneka Point is an interesting place with big views. Trails get you there but it is a long way. Using the route above from Elowah and taking Nesmith Ridge back, that's a great loop for adventure hikers. I might have to sign up for this one.

--Paul
The future's uncertain and the end is always near.

raven

Re: Route from Elowah Falls to Wauneka Point?

Post by raven » September 19th, 2009, 12:45 pm

I read it as an off-trail bushwhack. The route is fairly obvious from a quick look at a topo. May be worth logging as a fun route. It certainly does have possibilities, although part of it seems too steep without switchbacks to be considered more than a way. (Each way trail was "a way to get there".)