#149 Weigle Hill trail in Gifford Pinchot NF?

Discussions and Trip Reports for off-trail adventures and rediscovering lost trails
pablo

#149 Weigle Hill trail in Gifford Pinchot NF?

Post by pablo » September 17th, 2009, 8:18 pm

Looking for information on the #149 Weigle Hill trail in the GPNF.

This trail is not found on the GPNF website - the trail #149 is the missing space between trails #148 and #150. On a 1963 GPNF map the #149 trail starts at its south end at the end of a road on private ground and continues up a ridge to eventually end on Big Huckleberry Mtn. On Nat'l Geographic TOPO, a short segment of the trails is displayed and numbered as the #149 - same as on my 1999 GPNF map. Looks like the private ground issue could be resolved by a short bushwhack over from the PCT which is on the next ridge north. From Google Earth looks like there might be a couple of view points. Information about condition would be appreciated.

Here's some maps fragments, 1st up the 1963 GPNF :
WeigleHill149.jpg
Next the fragment from Nat'l TOPO:
WeigleHillTOPO.JPG
The future's uncertain and the end is always near.

raven

Re: #149 Weigle Hill trail in Gifford Pinchot NF?

Post by raven » September 17th, 2009, 8:46 pm

As I read the topo, the trail starts on the road *beyond* the private land. There may be no access problem whatsoever.

pablo

Post by pablo » September 17th, 2009, 9:17 pm

raven wrote:As I read the topo, the trail starts on the road *beyond* the private land. There may be no access problem whatsoever.
I think you are right, the problem I'm seeing is access to the trailhead from a road crossing private ground but it may be OK. I should drive out and take a look. May be a call to GPNF is in order and just ask them what the scoop is on the trail.

--Paul

raven

Post by raven » September 17th, 2009, 9:34 pm

I think calling them for up to date information would be a waste of time. No matter their answer, you'll have to ground sleuth.

mandrake

Post by mandrake » September 18th, 2009, 5:10 pm

Nice find on the maps there, Pablo! I previously ran across a reference to Weigle Hill in an old WA wilderness guidebook and went to check it out a few years ago. Parking is not very good; there are a couple of houses right there at the end of the road. The turnaround itself appears to combo as someone's driveway, but there is a track that continues straight ahead on the north side of Cedar Creek which may be a public right-of-way. The track continues a short distance and ends abruptly at the edge of the creek. Crossing the stream, it's difficult to find the old trail (another random trail in the same area climbs a short distance and dead-ends at an old homemade cistern?) but it's still there. We ended out bushwhacking due south and directly up to the ridge; the ridge on topo where it's listed as "1600" is a short fun ascent.) The trail is not obvious down in the flatter terrain; it's much more apparent up on the the ridge. The ridge itself has some quite nice meadow/rocky spaces -- we saw a mother black bear and cub up there. Just before the summit is a clifftop viewpoint to the south, but the summit itself is forested and the trail (such as it is) vanishes almost entirely here. We pushed on east along the ridge to a saddle (marked "29" on Topo) which is another grassy area with some interesting rock formations on the cliffs south, but turned it around here.

On the way back, near the start of the track, we observed what looked to be an obvious waytrail heading northwest climbing up towards Rd 74. Might be feasible to do a large loop around the Cedar Creek drainage.

pablo

Post by pablo » September 18th, 2009, 6:57 pm

mandrake,

This is great information, it is now officially on the list. I want to go up the ridge to Big Huckleberry Mtn then back on the PCT for a loop.

Thanks a heap, you do get around...

--Paul
mandrake wrote:Nice find on the maps there, Pablo! I previously ran across a reference to Weigle Hill in an old WA wilderness guidebook and went to check it out a few years ago. Parking is not very good; there are a couple of houses right there at the end of the road. The turnaround itself appears to combo as someone's driveway, but there is a track that continues straight ahead on the north side of Cedar Creek which may be a public right-of-way. The track continues a short distance and ends abruptly at the edge of the creek. Crossing the stream, it's difficult to find the old trail (another random trail in the same area climbs a short distance and dead-ends at an old homemade cistern?) but it's still there. We ended out bushwhacking due south and directly up to the ridge; the ridge on topo where it's listed as "1600" is a short fun ascent.) The trail is not obvious down in the flatter terrain; it's much more apparent up on the the ridge. The ridge itself has some quite nice meadow/rocky spaces -- we saw a mother black bear and cub up there. Just before the summit is a clifftop viewpoint to the south, but the summit itself is forested and the trail (such as it is) vanishes almost entirely here. We pushed on east along the ridge to a saddle (marked "29" on Topo) which is another grassy area with some interesting rock formations on the cliffs south, but turned it around here.

On the way back, near the start of the track, we observed what looked to be an obvious waytrail heading northwest climbing up towards Rd 74. Might be feasible to do a large loop around the Cedar Creek drainage.

cfm

Post by cfm » September 19th, 2009, 11:16 am

I dont know if this could also figure in your trip Pablo. There is an unofficial trail that goes from Cold Springs Camp (located halfway between Big Huckleberry and Grassy Knoll) down to FS 68, south of the PCT. It's labelled with cute little markers as the Alway Trail in memory of a George Alway and family members. It was very well maintained at my visit a few weeks ago.

pablo

Post by pablo » September 19th, 2009, 11:33 am

cfm wrote:I dont know if this could also figure in your trip Pablo. There is an unofficial trail that goes from Cold Springs Camp (located halfway between Big Huckleberry and Grassy Knoll) down to FS 68, south of the PCT. It's labelled with cute little markers as the Alway Trail in memory of a George Alway and family members. It was very well maintained at my visit a few weeks ago.
That would be neat and solves the route problem I was having getting to the PCT, is the trail easy to spot from the 68 Rd?

--Paul

cfm

Post by cfm » September 19th, 2009, 2:12 pm

I'm not actually sure Pablo. I took the trail down from Cold Springs out of curiousity, and when I saw the road I turned back. I should have gone out and sized it up. I think it comes out just before(SE) of the hairpinny turn on 68 as you are approaching the PCT crossing.

From the camp it follows a draw downhill to the spring, then crosses the emergent creek and angles northwesterly for about 1/2 mile to the road.