Bonney Meadows - Boulder Lakes Lost Trails

Discussions and Trip Reports for off-trail adventures and rediscovering lost trails
Splintercat

Re: Bonney Meadows - Boulder Lakes Lost Trails

Post by Splintercat » November 15th, 2009, 3:42 pm

Thanks for bumping this back up, Arioto -- you weren't by any chance with CubFan when I ran into him near Boulder Lake..?

Anyway, I neglected to post a followup to this thread after thoroughly scouting the trails on a couple trips in September. I'll add this to the Field Guide when I get a chance, but basically, there is a very pleasant loop that can begin at either the lower Boulder Lake trailhead (for low-clearance vehicles and those who want to end the hike going downhills) or at Bonney Meadows (rough road in, but allows for more time to explore the meadows).

First, it turns out that the 472 trail is shown incorrectly on most maps -- as others have suggested in this thread. The trail goes right along the summit ridge of Echo Point (which is densely forested on the Bonney Meadows side, but open to the east with fine views into the Boulder Creek valley and across to Badger Butte). At the actual summit, the trail veers around the west side of Echo Point, but a boot path traverses across the open meadow face of the viewpoint.

Here's a recon map of the loop showing mileage increments and the corrected locations of trails:

Note that to make you loop, you'll walk on approximately 0.8 miles of Forest Road 123 from Little Boulder Lake to the Trail 472 junction. It's a dead-end road and entirely within the new Mount Hood National Recreation Area, so the chances are good that this will someday be decommissioned and formally become a trail.

Trail 472 crosses through no less than five clear cuts, but has been carefully reconstructed through each, and they are in "recovering" state, so they're pleasant enough. Plus, the trail is near the east edge of the cuts, so you're never far away from intact forests. As Koda points out, there's a neat little side path to a rugged cliff-top overlook above Little Boulder Lake. This is an outstanding spot to watch raptors swing across the basin, below, snatching prey from the scree slope that descends from the cliffs down to the lake. I could have spent a few hours here!

Further along, Trail 472 climbs steadily into increasingly beautiful noble fir and eventually mountain hemlock forests, passing a series of viewpoints across the Boulder Creek valley. At the crest of Echo Point, you'll have this panoramic scene before you:

(Click here for a larger, scrollable view)

If you start the hike at Boulder Lake Trailhead, it's an easy drive to the VERY wide spot in the road where the trail follows the outlet ravine from the lake for only about 1/3 mile to the lake. The stream was dry when I visited, but close examination of the lake shore near the outlet revealed a high water mark at least six feet higher than the summertime water level, so I suspect the outlet flows into mid-summer. Beyond that, you'll need to boil water from the lake, or fill water bottles at Bonney Meadows on the loop hike.

Boulder Lake has some very nice campsites, though is likely a bit busy in peak periods due to the short access trail. It's a particularly rugged and beautiful lake:

Little Boulder Lake is another camping option, and even though it is very close to a road, didn't seem to show much effect from that kind of proximity -- it feels more remote and private than Boulder Lake.

Wow... just think, there are already a couple feet of snow up there, now..! Sigh... it's going to be a long wait until next summer!

Tom ;)

Arioto

Post by Arioto » November 16th, 2009, 12:10 pm

Indeed! I was CubFan, but I changed my trail name to Arioto during that hike. I couldn't have described this area any better! A couple side notes. Being that it was September, Kane springs was nothing but seapage. Yuck! So, if you don't hit Bonney Creek or one of the lakes, you're out of luck. Also, Splintercat is correct about Little Boulder Lake being less crowded. However, I have been visiting Boulder Lake for most of my life and have never seen it full. Usually it's just you, another group and maybe a few hikers.

Splintercat

Post by Splintercat » November 16th, 2009, 6:23 pm

I remember now - you mentioned that when we were chatting on the trail! So, speaking of Little Boulder, here are a couple more photos -- first, from up on the trailside bluff above the lake (with Grasshopper Point across the canyon) and then from down on the NE shoreline, where there were a couple campsites. There's a HUGE downed tree blocking the trail along the east shoreline, however...

Neat area -- but watch out for bikes!

Tom

arundodonax

Post by arundodonax » April 25th, 2013, 10:27 pm

Bumping this thread to try to find out if anyone knows anything more about the Boulder Creek trail. Earlier in this thread it was mentioned 478/Boulder Creek. MHNF doesn't list 478 on it's website, but the latest FS maps still list it: http://caltopo.com/map.html#ll=45.26586 ... o=r&n=0.25

Any ideas? My guess is that even if it still exists it's probably way overgrown.

Koda

Post by Koda » April 26th, 2013, 9:18 am

arundodonax wrote:Any ideas? My guess is that even if it still exists it's probably way overgrown.
roughly 15 years ago I attempted to hike down trail 464 from road 4891 and the faint trail was overgrown in short order. I turned around since my off trail skills were not that developed back then. Since then I have driven and mtn biked many times along that road and took note I could no longer notice the start of the faint trail….

I think Crane Prairie and Boulder creek would be a beautiful hike and they have always been buried somewhere in my bucket list
lightweight, cheap, strong... pick 2

mattisnotfrench

Post by mattisnotfrench » April 26th, 2013, 2:10 pm

Bobcat put these trails in the Field Guide: http://www.portlandhikersfieldguide.org ... _Loop_Hike

I hiked down into Crane Prairie a couple of years ago and found it quite difficult to navigate. I'm actually considering asking the Forest Service for permission to help maintain these trails and restore them; the Dufur office indicated it would be willing to work with me on such a project, so I'd like to see it happen.
Author of Extraordinary Oregon!, PDX Hiking 365, 101 Hikes in the Majestic Mount Jefferson Region, and Off the Beaten Trail. Website: www.offthebeatentrailpdx.com

Peder

Post by Peder » April 26th, 2013, 4:55 pm

mattisnotfrench wrote:Bobcat put these trails in the Field Guide: http://www.portlandhikersfieldguide.org ... _Loop_Hike
Is there any hike that bobcat has not put into the Field Guide over the past year? He (this is not a gender bias - I know that this is a male cat!) is so productive that I wonder how he ever finds time for hiking!
Some people are really fit at eighty; thankfully I still have many years to get into shape…

arundodonax

Post by arundodonax » April 26th, 2013, 4:56 pm

Thanks! Good to know about the field guide page. Looks like it's best to go there late fall, but then everything will be overgrown. Hmmm....

bobcat

Post by bobcat » April 26th, 2013, 8:09 pm

Crane Prairie Trail #464 can be hard to follow, both on the slope and in the bogs. It joins Trail #478 in one of the meadows. The junction is not obvious (I'd like to go back down there and make it so). #478 is fine down along the creek to #464, which is also fine. Past the #464 junction #478 peters out. I tried accessing it from the 4870 road; even though a trail sign was still there on the road, the trail began on a private enclave that was clearcut. Then there is massive blowdown on the edge of the clearcut. Stirred up a bear, but it was not worth the trouble to get through. That section is lost for sure.

@Matt: I was planning to go down and do some "pruning" there this summer. Let me know if you get a party together and I'll see if I can join you!

Note: Edited to correct error in 464 trail #
Last edited by bobcat on April 28th, 2013, 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BrianEdwards

Post by BrianEdwards » April 26th, 2013, 8:09 pm

My father used to take me and my brother to Boulder Lake a couple times a year. We hiked several faint trails that departed near the lake. I last made a trip to the lake July of 2004, and the trails I used to run up and down as a youngin' were all but gone. Thanks for bumping this thread
Clackamas River Waterfall Project - 95 Documented, 18 to go.