Ladd Canyon Falls

Discussions and Trip Reports for off-trail adventures and rediscovering lost trails
Splintercat

Ladd Canyon Falls

Post by Splintercat » August 26th, 2009, 7:16 pm

I've been meaning to document this one for a couple of years -- a waterfall on Ladd Creek, just below Eden Park. I first saw this falls from up on Lost Lake Butte, of all places. You can see it easily from the slope above the Mazama trailhead, now, thanks to an enlarging amphitheater around the falls. Like many of the glacial outflows on Hood, this falls is growing as the ice recedes and the canyon converts from a "U" to a "V" shape. There was a fairly significant debris flow across Lolo Pass road near Ladd Creek during the floods a couple of years, courtesy of the collapsing canyon upstream.

Here's the location on a topo map:

Here's the canyon view, for context:

And here's a horribly pixelated view of the falls from my super-zoom point-and-shoot, set on digital zoom, for added crappiness! :)

It's not going to win any beauty contests, but I'd estimate the top drop to be about 25-30 feet and the second tier to be 50-70 feet and growing. The most interesting aspect is the shape of the lower falls (complete with a jug-handle side tier) and the fact that this falls is a work in progress.

Bushwhacking to it would be sketchy. It's very close to the trail at Eden Park, but the canyon is treacherous, and bushwhacking through the trees is an unknown -- could be thickets of false azalea, or it might be manageable. The main problem is that you'd have to somehow get to the very steep east slope of the canyon to get a close-up of the falls. So... I'll leave this one to the young and adventurous...

Tom :)

Sore Feet

Re: Ladd Canyon Falls

Post by Sore Feet » August 27th, 2009, 7:06 pm

Why not just take the Timberline Trail to the creek, follow the west bank downstream to the canyon then descend adjacent to the falls on that forested rib to the west? Might not be able to get to the bottom, but it certainly looks like it would allow a fairly up close view of the falls.

On a related topic, I think I figured out how to see Wallalute Falls easily - the west canyon rim is fairly thickly forested and there looks like there might be easy enough access to portions of the Elliot Branch canyon where a view looking right into the falls could be had at less than half the distance the falls are viewed from at the roadside viewpoint. And this method won't entail nearly as much effort as is needed to get to the base.

airdrum

Post by airdrum » August 27th, 2009, 8:25 pm

Well Tom, given I was forced to climb up the zig zag canyon last week I think I may be in shape for this loose soil that will have to be dealt with! How much longer till it's snowed in?

Half kidding of course but if anyone else has any interest I will surely tag along
Andy

greglief

Post by greglief » August 28th, 2009, 9:51 am

Hi Bryan et al,

If/when you plan to visit Wallalute Falls, please let me know. I would LOVE to see that one up close and personal.

Greg

jaimito

Post by jaimito » August 28th, 2009, 10:56 am

Yeah Andy and I have been talking about that one for awhile…

mattisnotfrench

Post by mattisnotfrench » August 29th, 2009, 4:43 pm

I'll throw my hat into the Wallalute Falls sweepstakes as well. I'd LOVE to get a good look at it. If/when it gets organized, please let me know!
Author of Extraordinary Oregon!, PDX Hiking 365, 101 Hikes in the Majestic Mount Jefferson Region, and Off the Beaten Trail. Website: www.offthebeatentrailpdx.com