Palmer Mill Road Side Paths

Discussions and Trip Reports for off-trail adventures and rediscovering lost trails
arlohike

Palmer Mill Road Side Paths

Post by arlohike » January 1st, 2024, 10:43 am

Over the last couple years I’ve been parking at the snow gate on Larch Mountain Road and walking down Palmer Mill Road to explore the user trails and old logging roads south of Devil’s Rest. In the process, I’ve noticed several user paths leaving Palmer Mill Road on the uphill side. This weekend I decided to follow each of those to see where they went. Here are the results, in order from the trailhead:

A - This path simply turns to parallel the road and returns to the clearing next to the trailhead.

B - This is actually two paths, one on each side of a small creek. You can hike up either side for nice views of the creek and hop across the creek at several points. At first the north side of the creek is clearer, then the south side becomes clearer. About 200 yards up on the south side are two pink flags pointing to a route that continues up the creek. I followed that for about 200 yards more but it seemed like more of a natural clearing than a path anyone was using, so I turned back. Later I realized I had climbed almost up to Larch Mountain Road, so it might have been worth continuing to look for more signs of use.

C - This is an old logging road that still appears on maps, but has been decommissioned with a collection of boulders at the entrance and berms on the road. The road grade is still obvious but is overgrown and I only followed it about 100 yards.

D - This is a short path that climbs 25 yards up into a bit of a clearing, which doesn’t seem to have been used for a campsite or anything, then seems to branch in a couple directions but quickly fade away.

E - Another short path, but the purpose of this one makes more sense because it goes alongside a creek. I noticed a long iron bar in the creek, some old logging equipment I guess.

F - Just past that creek is another old logging road that’s on my maps. This is decommissioned and overgrown similar to the first one, but is easier to miss because it has fewer boulders at the entrance.

G - This is one of the clearest paths, which heads confidently straight uphill, through a clearing that could be an old logging road, but after about 200 yards it just fades away.

H - After the previous “trail to nowhere,” I was starting to tire of this project, but I followed this path up alongside a creek. Just when I thought a lovely creek view was the destination, I noticed the path making a sharp right turn, so I followed it and it soon become wider and more defined. As I followed it further and further, I got more and more curious about what it was leading to. I passed a rusty old shovel jammed into a stump, and crossed an overgrown old road, then after a mile I reached Larch Mountain Road. Looking back from the road, it is completely hidden and there's no road pullout or any obvious way to access it. I couldn’t see that it continued across the road, but given steepness of the embankment there, I didn't look very hard. I did check out a flag 50 yards up the road, but that seemed to be related to this past summer’s paving project, so I hiked back down the path again.

I - On the other side of this creek is a short path that leads to an obvious old road cut, passing a bit of logging chain and the corner of a large iron object. I didn’t try following the road, which was overgrown like the others.

J - There’s no path here, but you can look into the woods before the creek and see some white objects sitting on a log. These are several pieces of broken china, along with several glass bottles and the remains of a very old shoe. I had noticed this once years ago and was happy to find it again. It seems like the collection has grown since then as people have found more objects in the area and placed them onto the log.

K - This is the only really obvious old logging road in this area, with a steep ramp up and some big logs laid across the entrance, but the road cut is wide enough that it’s not very overgrown yet. I thought this was the other end of the old road heading east from point L. But it quickly curves east itself, then branches into two roads heading north and east. Although bermed, these are pretty easy to follow as far as I went, at least at this time of year when a lot of underbrush has died back. I went up about a quarter mile and turned back.

K might be worth further exploration some day, but H is what I’m most curious about. You can’t get to it without walking a mile or more on either Larch Mountain Road or Palmer Mill Road, and you can’t incorporate it into a loop that doesn’t include both of those -- which wouldn't be a bad hike, but walking on the paved road isn't very appealing to me. Does anyone know the story here?
Palmer Mill side trails.png
IMG_1413.jpg
Nice creek views along B
IMG_1417.jpg
Road marker on C
IMG_1420.jpg
Boulders at the entrance to C
IMG_1421.jpg
Iron bar in the creek at E
IMG_1430.jpg
An old road that H crosses
IMG_1441.jpg
An old road just beyond I
Last edited by arlohike on January 8th, 2024, 12:55 pm, edited 3 times in total.
TrailCheck (iOS / Android)
Elevation Tracker (iOS / Apple Watch)

Chip Down

Re: Palmer Mill Road Side Paths

Post by Chip Down » January 1st, 2024, 10:10 pm

I keep forgetting to do this. Maybe after it dries out, which should be any month now.

bobcat

Post by bobcat » January 3rd, 2024, 5:30 pm

Quite a thorough exploration! Option H is the most intriguing, as it offers a genuine cutoff to the road, maybe a loop option from the summit parking area.

Bosterson

Post by Bosterson » January 4th, 2024, 11:03 am

There's lots of random stuff on the slopes of Larch. I apparently went up your "H" route in snow in 2019 (side note Arlo, I think you went on your first snowshoe trip up there the day after I did?) - it was brushy and not fun.
#pnw #bestlife #bitingflies #favoriteyellowcap #neverdispleased

arlohike

Post by arlohike » January 4th, 2024, 9:29 pm

Bosterson wrote:
January 4th, 2024, 11:03 am
There's lots of random stuff on the slopes of Larch. I apparently went up your "H" route in snow in 2019 (side note Arlo, I think you went on your first snowshoe trip up there the day after I did?) - it was brushy and not fun.
Oh yeah, I forgot about that! That route is pretty easy to follow now, so I wonder if your 2019 excursion wasn't exactly on the route I followed, or if it has been broken in from use since then.
Last edited by arlohike on January 8th, 2024, 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TrailCheck (iOS / Android)
Elevation Tracker (iOS / Apple Watch)

Petr

Post by Petr » January 5th, 2024, 7:11 am

<deleted post as no longer relevent, investigation complete, moving on...>
Last edited by Petr on January 8th, 2024, 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Well Jim, where to next?

Petr

Post by Petr » January 6th, 2024, 7:12 pm

Removed "Shovel Trail" from OSM per consensus of users to remain off-trail use only.

Red Shorts reports that Primrose Path is ready for winter use, and Devil's Slide should be glissadeable soon!
4 trees on bluff.jpg
Were these 4 trees planted in a nice smooth curve that the newly rerouted Primrose Path nestles in nicely?
Imagine what the bluff looks like snow covered!
Better yet, go and take pictures and post them, Red Shorts would love to see them!
Well Jim, where to next?

adamschneider

Post by adamschneider » January 6th, 2024, 7:38 pm

Petr wrote:
January 6th, 2024, 7:12 pm
Removed "Shovel Trail" from OSM per consensus of users to remain off-trail use only.
Sometimes it's a good idea to leave the path in the OSM database, but tag it as removed:highway=path or demolished:highway=path (or even remove the highway tag entirely), and add a note tag explaining why it was removed. That will (hopefully) prevent someone from re-adding it again in the future if they find it in person or see it in the Strava heatmap.

Petr

Post by Petr » January 8th, 2024, 3:16 pm

Red Shorts got to take his own pictures of snow covered Primrose Path reroute to bluff Sunday Jan. 8, 2024.
bluff trail 172024.jpg
He was the first person to walk this untracked snowy trail.
untracked bluff 172024.jpg
See trip report of his adventure that day, coming soon.
Well Jim, where to next?

Christminster

Post by Christminster » January 13th, 2024, 6:18 pm

H is a downhill mountain bike trail. There are tire marks, not footprints, and it looks like they built jumps and stuff. The top, at Larch mtn road, looks to have been intentionally concealed: no brush is cleared and branches are strewn around.

I've used H to get to Larch Mountain. I couldn't avoid walking on Palmer Mill road, but I did avoid Larch Mountain road by cutting over, off-trail, to Larch Mountain Trail, on a compass bearing. Fun! I'm a compass geek now.