Salmonberry River Steam Donkey Hunt, Oct. 6th, 2023

Discussions and Trip Reports for off-trail adventures and rediscovering lost trails
retired jerry

Re: Salmonberry River Steam Donkey Hunt, Oct. 6th, 2023

Post by retired jerry » October 13th, 2023, 5:23 am

is there a place to park before the steep section?

a few years ago I started at the west end which is on a paved road

I liked the places where the only thing remaining over a creek were the rails. and some of the ties suspended from the rails - if you trust the nails that attach them. I think I just crossed the creek below

thanks for posting the sign telling people to leave artifacts

bobcat

Post by bobcat » October 13th, 2023, 7:38 am

What an excellent adventure! Thanks for all the photos!

mdcpdx

Post by mdcpdx » October 13th, 2023, 10:06 am

Thanks Don for the report. Archie did very well. One can never be sure with a 10-month-old rescue. He stayed close, is very athletic, was not afraid of bridges or tunnels, and made good choices negotiating difficult terrain. He’ll be a good donkey hunting dog like his predecessor. Don seemed to photo only my good side, thanks Don. The Pacific Railway & Navigation line was also known as the Punk, Rotten & Nasty is now owned by the Port of Tillamook Bay. Because the Southern Pacific owned the line once all mile post signs report the distance to the SP headquarters in California. There is an effort to make this a rail to trail conversion. One study shows a version with the rail line restored along with a parallel foot and equestrian path. Dream big I say. https://potb.specialdistrict.org/files/ ... _final.pdf

Don Nelsen

Post by Don Nelsen » October 13th, 2023, 2:15 pm

retired jerry wrote:
October 13th, 2023, 5:23 am
is there a place to park before the steep section?

a few years ago I started at the west end which is on a paved road

I liked the places where the only thing remaining over a creek were the rails. and some of the ties suspended from the rails - if you trust the nails that attach them. I think I just crossed the creek below

thanks for posting the sign telling people to leave artifacts
Jerry, thanks for the comments.

The first half mile up from the bottom isn't too bad and even a regular 2WD car shouldn't have a problem. The next 8/10 mile is the worst part, and I don't remember even a slightly wider bypass spot should you be so unlucky to encounter a vehicle coming the other way. There is an overgrown spur road 1.6 miles up from the bottom where one could park and walk down. I think there's another spur a little farther down the road. You could probably park at either of the switchbacks farther down the grade too. In other words, yeah, you could likely park along the road and walk down if you were unsure about going the whole way. The best way is to have good tires and 4WD.

We removed the bigger rocks from the road on the way down and the water bars will flatten out with a little more use. With the recent re-grading, it's in a lot better shape than when I was last there in 2006.
"Everything works in the planning stage" - Kelly

"If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do" - Warren Miller

Chip Down

Post by Chip Down » October 14th, 2023, 2:32 pm

Found my old TR:
viewtopic.php?t=24474

Don Nelsen

Post by Don Nelsen » October 14th, 2023, 6:33 pm

Chip Down wrote:
October 14th, 2023, 2:32 pm
Found my old TR:
viewtopic.php?t=24474

Nice! Thanks for finding this and posting it. Somehow I missed it when you first posted it.

dn

"If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do" - Warren Miller

Don Nelsen

Post by Don Nelsen » October 15th, 2023, 12:01 pm

mdcpdx wrote:
October 13th, 2023, 10:06 am
Thanks Don for the report. Archie did very well. One can never be sure with a 10-month-old rescue. He stayed close, is very athletic, was not afraid of bridges or tunnels, and made good choices negotiating difficult terrain. He’ll be a good donkey hunting dog like his predecessor. Don seemed to photo only my good side, thanks Don. The Pacific Railway & Navigation line was also known as the Punk, Rotten & Nasty is now owned by the Port of Tillamook Bay. Because the Southern Pacific owned the line once all mile post signs report the distance to the SP headquarters in California. There is an effort to make this a rail to trail conversion. One study shows a version with the rail line restored along with a parallel foot and equestrian path. Dream big I say. https://potb.specialdistrict.org/files/ ... _final.pdf
Matt, thanks for a great day in the woods! Also, for the link and other info.

Don