Stovepipe Cove Off-Trail (May 28, 2023)

Discussions and Trip Reports for off-trail adventures and rediscovering lost trails
Splintercat

Stovepipe Cove Off-Trail (May 28, 2023)

Post by Splintercat » July 22nd, 2023, 1:56 pm

Here's a short off-trail hike over in the John Day Fossil Beds NM area, within the Sutton Mountain Wilderness Study Area. It's accessed from the Twickenham-Bridge Creek Cutoff, a few miles from the Painted Hills. I've included a sketch map with a couple of options, both short and easy -- so long as you don't step on rattlesnakes... :D

The destination is a cool Blue Basin-like formation on the west slope of Sutton Mountain. I'm eager to get over there again and visit in late afternoon -- the evening light should be quite nice here. I happened to be there midday with temps in the mid-90s, so it was a BIT toasty!

Some photos, starting with the north approach to Stovepipe Cove -- this road spur ends at a "trailhead" about 150 feet from here, though I recommend parking at the main (gravel) Twickenham Cuttoff and walking this. It's a nice road, but undoubtedly slick and sketchy in spring and winter. The cliffs of Sutton Mountain rising in the distance, Stovepipe Cove is on the other side of the low, sage/juniper covered hill rising dead-ahead above the road:
230519StovepipeCove&PaintedHills01.jpg
Stovepipe Cove appears after a short walk cross-country through open desert grasslands and sagebrush:
230519StovepipeCove&PaintedHills02.jpg
...closer view... it was hot and steamy and I was watching a thunderhead form directly above me! Later, there was a spectacular lightning display (after I was back to the TH, fortunately!)...
230519StovepipeCove&PaintedHills03.jpg
...detailed view of the formation at Stovepipe Cove -- shades of white, yellow and gold... I'll be back for an evening view!
230519StovepipeCove&PaintedHills04.jpg
Pano view of Stovepipe Cove from the spot where it comes into view after following the dry outflow wash into the cove...
230519StovepipeCove&PaintedHills05.jpg
Look! I found an old fossil in the fossil beds! Hot, tired and happy old fossil after finally visiting this spot... :)
230519StovepipeCove&PaintedHills06.jpg
Here's the general map of the spot -- a modest cross-country hike that can be approach from two spots. They're equally nice, though the north approach is easiest, since it follow the old access spur for much of the way. The south approach is also easy to navigate, however, since you follow the outflow wash and can see the cove ahead for most of the route.
230528StovepipeCoveMap.jpg
Not sure if I should add this to the Oregon Hikers Field Guide... I'll defer to John on that. I wouldn't have a problem with a user trail forming here -- there are already well-developed game trails -- and this is so far off the grid that i don't think it would put the formations at risk... John?

-Tom :)

bobcat

Re: Stovepipe Cove Off-Trail (May 28, 2023)

Post by bobcat » July 26th, 2023, 7:49 am

Very cool spot, Tom!

Last spring, I drove in and camped just above Stovepipe Spring along with the cows that came in every morning and evening. I was exploring off-the-grid trails in the area, but I sure didn't know about Stovepipe Cove. Great find!

My report (and all these are now in the FG): viewtopic.php?f=8&t=30316 (also advertising a Subaru actually being used as a Subaru).

Since it's such open country, I think a FG entry would be great, especially starting at the road entrance. The area will probably become Oregon's next national monument/wilderness, so maybe a trail system will be further developed.

Splintercat

Post by Splintercat » July 28th, 2023, 2:17 pm

Thanks, John - super helpful trip report! I had actually intended to follow your OHFG entry for Rocky Trail while I was over there, but hadn't printed out the TH instructions and couldn't find the access road! I'll have to give it another try next spring. I'm usually over there in May to try to find illusive Hedgehog cactus flowers, but I've thus far been stymied. Several Brittle Prickly Pear in various spots, though... so I wasn't totally skunked.

According to another desert rambler who knows the area, there's also a Hedgehog colony on the low knoll directly above and north of Stovepipe Cove -- so I'll check for that next time!

I was off-trail in another area within the John Day National Monument looking for a couple of known populations of Hedgehog and found myself walking across a slope that was a carpet of petrified wood fragments, so thus my caution about posting stuff in the OHFG. This area is outside the NM, and clearly has a lot of hunters, so it does seems okay to include. It's also easy to reach without walking on any of the "painted" slopes, so that's another consideration that I'd been pondering.

Tom :)

Don Nelsen

Post by Don Nelsen » July 28th, 2023, 4:08 pm

Tom,

What a neat area! Thanks for the TR and the photos.

dn
"Everything works in the planning stage" - Kelly

"If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do" - Warren Miller