Ki-a-Kuts falls

Discussions and Trip Reports for off-trail adventures and rediscovering lost trails
sizzler

Ki-a-Kuts falls

Post by sizzler » September 5th, 2022, 3:52 pm

After one attempt two years ago where we ran into a closed gate, we decided to finally try this waterfall again.

From what I can see online, it doesn't look like anybody has posted about doing this for a decade or so. We completely missed the old overgrown logging road that you can start from, and instead hiked up the newer logging road a ways until we were directly north and above the falls. That's when we descended until we reached the basalt cliff above the falls. We headed east, away from the falls and down to the river where we bushwacked up along the Tualatin until we reached the falls.

Compared to the other videos of people doing this, there was a ton of bushes and debris that made this a lot harder. On the descent, my phone fell out of my pocket and we had to spend a lot of time retracing steps and looking for it. We were planning on looking for the Upper Tualatin falls and/or the falls along maple creek (there are supposed to be three) but we will have to save that for another time.

Here is a video: https://youtube.com/shorts/H8cIliyrPg4?feature=share

Nwcanyoning

Re: Ki-a-Kuts falls

Post by Nwcanyoning » September 5th, 2022, 6:23 pm

Good work. I have seen folks post Kiakuts on social media platforms so I would’ve thought that a boot trail would’ve been present.