Getting to the I-205 bridge bike track..... the OLD way

Discussions and Trip Reports for off-trail adventures and rediscovering lost trails
wildcat

Getting to the I-205 bridge bike track..... the OLD way

Post by wildcat » April 2nd, 2022, 6:30 pm

Not sure if a "lost bicycle trail" report, within the city yet, is considered kosher for this hiking BBS, but I tend to ride a lot more than I hike these days, and I'm feeling daring today, so I guess we'll see.

So because I was also feeling kind of daring earlier today I decided to investigate if the old approach to the 205 bridge bike track could still be ridden. (See this thread for the background story: viewtopic.php?t=30235)

Matter of fact, it can. I got onto 205 southbound at Mill Plain, crossing the overpass and getting on at the eastbound Mill Plain ramp by Habitat for Humanity (formerly Bob Kendall's Chevrolet -- I'm showing my age here). Took it to the westbound SR 14 interchange at exit 27, then took 14 to the old bike ramp at Ellsworth.

(Imagery from Street View since I don't have a camera small enough to be practical for this kind of stuff, and I'm lazy, but it gets the point across adequately. Imagery appears to be from 2021 from the watermarks with the exception of figure 7, which was from 2011. My ancient bulky-ass Minolta Dimage I7 battery hog *has* been used on bike rides before, but I'd really rather not. Maybe someday I'll get a new camera.)

1.png
45.606525 -122.563232 (voice.broad.spin)
Figure I. Offramp from 14 westbound. Exit the highway here.

2.png
45.606579 -122.561421 (mount.froze.diner)
Figure II. The other end at Ellsworth Road. Summer 2021. I think other people have been using it recently since there's more rideable tread down the center and the moss is significantly more worn-down than appears in this capture. (It is still the main way to get to SE 23rd from SR 14 westbound.) There was also some blowdown across it early last year, possibly from the September 2020 hurricane, which appears to have since been cleared out.

You then go about 100 feet south on the Ellsworth overpass, then cross the street just past the Exit 5 offramp. It's about 10 feet or so north of the 23rd Street intersection.

3.png
45.604719 -122.561382 (showed.beans.tigers)
Figure III. Eastbound onramp at Ellsworth. Today I found some junk somebody dumped in the sidelines, but the asphalt is surprisingly clear with little moss growth, though the grass could stand to be edged back. Maybe one of these days, if I'm feeling up to it, I'll haul my weed whacker out there and try to clean it up a little. Or not.

4.png
45.60577 -122.560765 (pump.spill.skills)
Figure IV. The other end of it from Highway 14. Make sure you feel confident crossing onramps because this is right next to it:

5.png
Figure V. Exit 6. As I observed today lots of drivers just seem to exit highway 14 without bloody using their blinkers. (Why?) Watch traffic, time this well and hurry across to avoid becoming a splatter on the windshield of life, since traffic WILL NOT stop for you.

Go about 1/4 mile east and you will reach a double gate which may or may not be padlocked, that gets you onto the bike track. It wasn't locked when I rode it today. You'll have to scramble across a few feet of grass and vegetation. The dirt may also be soft so expect your wheels to sink an inch or so if it's been raining recently. Be sure to close the gate behind you after you go in.

Was this actually the track's original approach point from 14?

6.png
45.604423 -122.554675 (dinner.award.cross) (approximate)
Figure VI. The gate, on 14

7.png
Figure VII. Another view of the gate from the bike track, in 2011. The 205 overpass is in the background. (That's not my head, though I might someday gauge and tunnel my ears like this dude had, because tunnels are badass.)

At this point you can either continue on to the bridge, go back to the old eastbound ramp via 23rd street and do another lap, or whatever. My plan was to head westbound towards downtown via Old Evergreen Highway and the waterfront track between Wintler and what used to be Red Lion at the Quay, so that's what I did after this side trip/investigation.

Doable: Surprisingly, yes.

Recommended: Eh, it's up to you, if you have about 20 minutes to kill; depending how comfortable you are riding freeways on your bike and crossing a potentially busy offramp.

But, now I guess I can say I've done it.

Empty_beer_bottle_on_grass.jpg
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Empty_beer_bottle_on_grass.jpg
Figure VIII. The obligatory beer-outside picture. (Actually I never drink. Alcohol and bikes don't mix.)
Last edited by wildcat on April 3rd, 2022, 10:32 am, edited 2 times in total.
Life in Chacos
nwhikers.net: thewildcat

Webfoot

Re: Getting to the I-205 bridge bike track..... the OLD way

Post by Webfoot » April 3rd, 2022, 9:19 am

wildcat wrote:
April 2nd, 2022, 6:30 pm
for this hiking BBS

(formerly Bob Kendall's Chevrolet -- I'm showing my age here)

My ancient bulky-ass Minolta Dimage I7 battery hog *has* been used on bike rides before, but I'd really rather not. Maybe someday I'll get a new camera.
There's a common theme here. :lol:

Thanks for the report.

wildcat

Post by wildcat » April 3rd, 2022, 10:36 am

Yeah, I guess I'm just obsolete beyond upgradeability. I'm going to be 38 in a few weeks. :eek:
Life in Chacos

Webfoot

Post by Webfoot » April 3rd, 2022, 10:52 am

I've got a few years on you. :)

Chip Down

Post by Chip Down » April 3rd, 2022, 2:33 pm

wildcat wrote:
Not sure if a "lost bicycle trail" report, within the city yet, is considered kosher for this hiking BBS, but I tend to ride a lot more than I hike these days, and I'm feeling daring today, so I guess we'll see.
I've been doing that a lot, but I usually offer route tips, snow reports, etc, things of interest to hikers. And, of course, my balloon finds. :D
wildcat wrote:
(Actually I never drink. Alcohol and bikes don't mix.)
Do you not read my reports, ever?! :roll:

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » April 3rd, 2022, 2:41 pm

I thought Chip must have been there with his beer bottle.

Except he probably takes it with him when he leaves, so he must have been around there somewhere :)

Chip Down

Post by Chip Down » April 3rd, 2022, 2:48 pm

retired jerry wrote:
April 3rd, 2022, 2:41 pm
I thought Chip must have been there with his beer bottle.

Except he probably takes it with him when he leaves, so he must have been around there somewhere :)
I've lost a few, typically because of wind. I try to retrieve them (yesterday I ran into it as I scrambled/bushwhacked down) but sometimes they're lost forever. But I console myself with the other junk I haul out (I mean other people's junk).

wildcat

Post by wildcat » April 3rd, 2022, 2:59 pm

Do you not read my reports, ever?! :roll:
Mm hmm. Figure VIII was meant specifically as an inside joke/my tribute to Chip's many great trail reports. How better to conclude an inner-city trail report with a photo of discarded litter? :D :lol:

But, my dad and his brother being the family alcoholics has pretty much put me off the idea of drinking for, like, forever. Now, cooking with booze is another matter, especially if it involves ragù napoletano, olive oil and mozzerella/ricotta/parmesan cheese.
Life in Chacos

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » April 4th, 2022, 5:45 am

"But I console myself with the other junk I haul out (I mean other people's junk)."

Same here. I haul stuff out but occasionally something gets away.