Off-trail adventures, Sunday, Feb. 6th

Discussions and Trip Reports for off-trail adventures and rediscovering lost trails
Don Nelsen

Off-trail adventures, Sunday, Feb. 6th

Post by Don Nelsen » February 7th, 2022, 12:37 pm

Sunday was perfect weather for an off-trail adventure and with a little urging, I even got Kelly to come along. Normally, she's not too keen on salmonberry, devil’s club, blackberries and nettles but I convinced her that at least the nettles shouldn’t be a problem.

Along the road below Women's Forum:
IMG_4627.JPG
We started out with a short hike down the road from Women’s Forum to see if we could find a car Bobcat told me about. It was in the brush just a few feet off an old user path from the road so that was a nice start for our day. This is the ninth car that I’ve seen off that road though I wouldn't be at all surprised if there were more hiding in the brush. This last is a 1954 Pontiac Chieftain 4 door sedan, if you were wondering.
IMG_4616.JPG
This encouraged Kel to do a little more hiking down the road to check out some of the other wrecks and we visited the old Studebaker rusting away at an old home site and admired the rest of the relics in the area. We saw another six couples as we walked the old road.

Not satisfied with only a couple miles of hiking, we then headed up to Brower Road to see what delightful relics might have appeared since our last visit over five years ago.

Voila! A new find presented itself right away after less than a quarter mile of hiking. A slightly used 1999 Ford F-250. A little bondo, some tires and a little cosmetic work and it’ll be good as new!
IMG_4630.JPG
IMG_4632.JPG
We continued on into this beautiful forest and enjoyed three miles of peaceful wandering along ancient roads, a section of steam-era RR grade and just a little bushwhacking to finish up a great Sunday afternoon.

At the site of an old trestle, lots of hardware that once held it together:
IMG_4640.JPG
The ghostly remnant of the ties and ballast along the RR grade. The ties are long gone but the ballast remains:
IMG_4642.JPG
95% of the hike looked like this:
IMG_4647.JPG
IMG_4646.JPG
IMG_4635.JPG
5.1 miles total and 668’ EG for the day. Hike # 13
"Everything works in the planning stage" - Kelly

"If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do" - Warren Miller

Webfoot

Re: Off-trail adventures, Sunday, Feb. 6th

Post by Webfoot » February 8th, 2022, 8:04 am

Don Nelsen wrote:
February 7th, 2022, 12:37 pm
Not satisfied with only a couple miles of hiking, we then headed up to Brower Road to see what delightful relics might have appeared since our last visit over five years ago.
What part of Brower Road is this? Or are these side-roads off of Brower Road?

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » February 8th, 2022, 8:49 am

1999 Ford must have been stolen, stripped, dumped?

I wonder if the authorities would want to know it's location

Don Nelsen

Post by Don Nelsen » February 8th, 2022, 10:14 am

retired jerry wrote:
February 8th, 2022, 8:49 am
1999 Ford must have been stolen, stripped, dumped?

I wonder if the authorities would want to know it's location
Probably stolen and stripped but could have been an insurance scam. There was sheriff's tape on it implying it was known to authorities.

"If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do" - Warren Miller

Don Nelsen

Post by Don Nelsen » February 8th, 2022, 10:56 am

Webfoot wrote:
February 8th, 2022, 8:04 am
Don Nelsen wrote:
February 7th, 2022, 12:37 pm
What part of Brower Road is this? Or are these side-roads off of Brower Road?
One entrance is at about MP 2.8 at a big switchback. The PU is down that road. The road splits there and is nothing more than a long-abandoned logging road, easy enough to find and follow for miles. Another entrance is a few dozen yards farther down Brower Road and a third is another 4/10 of a mile down Brower. It's a big area, not logged since at least the 30's, and much of it since maybe as far back as the 1880's.

The Brower mill was located a little upstream from the switchback and a road once led about a mile and a half through the forest to the Donahue logging camp on Donahue Creek about a mile and half to the east. That road is still there but you really have to work at it to follow much of it. The town of Brower was in the woods east of the F-250 and was surveyed but possibly never actually built. I've not found even a trace of it and have the exact coordinates.

Anyway, lots of fun to explore but if you go, expect to get lost and best to have what you need to get un-lost.

dn