Lost Goat Ridge

Discussions and Trip Reports for off-trail adventures and rediscovering lost trails
Chip Down

Lost Goat Ridge

Post by Chip Down » October 30th, 2021, 9:49 pm

A little east of Grassy Knoll trailhead is a humble forested mound named Goat Point. Between Grassy Knoll and Goat Point, a ridge runs parallel to Lost Creek. I suggest we call it Lost Goat Ridge.

On June 30 [edit: 23rd], I attempted to gain the west end of LGR from Grassy Knoll TH via RD511 and RD530. It was a pleasant scenic stroll, but road 530 ended right where google maps said it would. Although I was very close to the ridge, I lacked a map or phone connection. I had other places to play that day, so returned to Grassy Knoll, vowing to try again from the east.

Today, Lost Goat Ridge finally rose to the top of my list. Taking the long scenic route, I left my car at Willard and rode up a labyrinth of utility and logging roads towards the north Augspurger saddle. That was far easier than expected, partly due to recent logging that created some new roads that allowed a more direct route than expected.

Then I dropped to Lost Creek, which I had to ford (brrr) and up to Lost Creek Road. A few minutes up Lost Creek Road put me below a saddle which was just west of Goat Point.

Gaining the ridgecrest was fast and easy, and the ridgecrest exceeded expectations. I had feared it might be brushy and boring, but nope. It was crisp and well-defined, mostly clear, just some occasional brush and blowdown, a little undulating (but mostly up), rocky in spots. It reminded me of Ruckel Ridge, but with some impediments that must be skirted.

From the high point, I dropped west a bit on a charming open ridge that was like a folded version of Benson Plateau. I knew it became indistinct and brushy below, so I turned back soon.

On my return, I was going to tag Goat Point, but from my ridge, it didn't look at all interesting, so I just retraced my route back to my bike and then to my car.
Attachments
0.jpg
1.jpg
road 530
2.jpg
road 530
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg
6.jpg
7.jpg
8.jpg
9.jpg
Lost Creek at the ford.
Last edited by Chip Down on November 1st, 2021, 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Don Nelsen

Re: Lost Goat Ridge

Post by Don Nelsen » November 1st, 2021, 1:03 pm

Nice! You seemed to have found a better route than Kelly Wagner and I did 6 1/2 years ago. We went in from (edit: near) the Grassy Knoll TH, finding some epic slide alder and vine maple on the way.
P1020282.JPG
P1020298.JPG
We looked over at Goat Point too, but like you decided it wasn't worth it.

dn
Last edited by Don Nelsen on November 2nd, 2021, 10:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Everything works in the planning stage" - Kelly

"If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do" - Warren Miller

Chip Down

Post by Chip Down » November 1st, 2021, 9:24 pm

Don, looks like I was wise to turn back on day one. Which, incidentally, was the day we met.
Did you turn back at the point pictured? If so, you missed out on a lot of fun to the east. You said you saw Goat Point, so I'm guessing you continued east at least a little, but I can't be sure. [edit: is that it down below in your pic?]

Don Nelsen

Post by Don Nelsen » November 2nd, 2021, 10:59 am

Chip Down wrote:
November 1st, 2021, 9:24 pm
Don, looks like I was wise to turn back on day one. Which, incidentally, was the day we met.
Did you turn back at the point pictured? If so, you missed out on a lot of fun to the east. You said you saw Goat Point, so I'm guessing you continued east at least a little, but I can't be sure. [edit: is that it down below in your pic?]
That tangle in my photo was epic but we forged through and the rest of the way was fine, as far as bushwhacks go. Once we tagged the summit (the photo of Kelly) we went back mostly the same way finding a better route - see map, I've marked where the veggie tangle started.

We think Goat Point is the forested bump you can barely see right behind Kelly's ankle in the summit pic. It appeared it would require some steep downclimbing and extra EG we weren't looking forward to. We had already hiked 8 miles and about 2k EG to Buck Mountain that day so we didn't need more, for sure!

I've thought to go back one of these days to tag Goat Point but it hasn't gotten any closer to the top of my ever lengthening list.
P 3115.jpg
"Everything works in the planning stage" - Kelly

"If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do" - Warren Miller