South Sister Mystery Trail

Discussions and Trip Reports for off-trail adventures and rediscovering lost trails
Born2BBrad

South Sister Mystery Trail

Post by Born2BBrad » October 17th, 2021, 12:24 pm

What: Exploring mystery trail on South Sister
When: 7/20/21
Who: Just Me (Born2BBrad)

This will be a mini trip report, focusing on one small section of a larger Broken Top/South Sister loop.

A few years ago, while exploring on Google Earth, I spotted something interesting. On the SW of South Sister there is a geographical feature called Rock Mesa, a large lava flow. On the S-SE side of that seemed to be a trail snaking through it to an ending point. No trail appeared to lead to the Rock Mesa mystery trail from any direction.

I thought to myself, “What the heck? Why is a trail there? What does it lead to? Who built it?” My best guess was that it led to a measuring device, measuring bulging South Sister.

Looking closer, a faint trail leading from the Le Conte Crater trail could barely be seen from Google Earth. It looked like a double-track trail, meaning possible use by a vehicle many years ago.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
General Information

Topographical Overview:

Google Earth With Line:

Google Earth Without Line:

Mystery Trail Profile:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Trip Narrative and Pictures

This summer of 2021, I finally got around to investigating the mystery trail. I had to find out what that trail led to. The plan was to bypass the faint double track trail leading from the Le Conte Crater Trail, and take a more direct off-trail route to the beginning of the mystery trail.

Once off-trail, I saw other footprints going to the start of the mystery trail, going to and from there. So it was clear someone else knew about it. Upon reaching where the start of the trail should be, it was right there, leading up the side of Rock Mesa.

Trail Leading Up The Side Of Rock Mesa:

It didn’t look like it gets much use, but it was as clear as day. There was no doubt where the trail was.

It Was A Clear Trail:

In order to make this trail, many rocks and boulders had to be moved and placed just in the right place. It was a very good trail, for going through a boulder-filled lava flow. Navigating through the lava flow without a trail would be incredibly difficult.

A Lot Of Work Went Into This Trail:

The trail snakes through the lava flow, mostly going downhill. Just after one mile, the trail ended. Guess what was there. Absolutely nothing. No measuring device, no remnant of a lookout, no Indian Pits, nothing that wasn’t just plain rock. Very anticlimactic. :cry:

View From Where The Trail Ended:

From the end of the trail, I could better see the faint double-track trail. That trail clearly looked like it was a true double-track trail used by vehicles.

Faint Double-Track Trail:

I briefly considered climbing down the edge of the very steep and rocky lava flow to the plains below, rather than backtrack on the mystery trail. It was only 200’ down and 200’ in distance. I thought better of it, since I didn’t feel like bouldering. I had a long way back to the trailhead and falling on sharp rocks didn’t sound fun.

OK, so now I’m even more curious. Why is there a one mile, well-built trail leading to and from nowhere through a lava field? There are some Oregon Hiker members who seem to be able to find old maps with trail, pictures and information on things like this. OH sleuths, see what you can find.

Final note: I hesitated to post about this, but my curiosity got the better of me. Plus, I don’t think too many people will physically investigate this. It’s off-trail and doesn’t lead anywhere or to anything. So not much of a draw. Knowing what I know now, I would rather spend my time and energy doing other things in this area.

Brad
Make now always the most precious time. Now will never come again.
- Jean Luc Picard

Link to GPX tracks
Link to Trip Reports

Chip Down

Re: South Sister Mystery Trail

Post by Chip Down » October 17th, 2021, 3:40 pm

Born2BBrad wrote:
October 17th, 2021, 12:24 pm
A few years ago, while exploring on Google Earth, I spotted something interesting. On the SW of South Sister there is a geographical feature called Rock Mesa, a large lava flow. On the S-SE side of that seemed to be a trail snaking through it to an ending point. No trail appeared to lead to the Rock Mesa mystery trail from any direction.
After reading your report and knowing what to look for, it was easy for me to see on the 2D google image [which I'm surprised you didn't post]. But I'm surprised you'd notice it just randomly like that. Good eye. :geek:

Webfoot

Post by Webfoot » October 18th, 2021, 7:55 am

Born2BBrad wrote:
October 17th, 2021, 12:24 pm
The trail snakes through the lava flow, mostly going downhill. Just after one mile, the trail ended. Guess what was there. Absolutely nothing. No measuring device, no remnant of a lookout, no Indian Pits, nothing that wasn’t just plain rock. Very anticlimactic. :cry:
That really is a mystery! If it is a trail that was abandoned before completion what could have been the destination?

Don Nelsen

Post by Don Nelsen » October 18th, 2021, 5:41 pm

Brad,

Nice find, to say the least. Amazing that you spotted it on Google Earth.

dn
"Everything works in the planning stage" - Kelly

"If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do" - Warren Miller

Born2BBrad

Post by Born2BBrad » October 19th, 2021, 5:42 pm

So, I looked a little closer on Google Earth and saw the continuation of the double-track trail. There was a gap in it that made me miss the continuation before.

Looking at the image below:
• Red is the Rock Mesa mystery trail
• Yellow is the faded double-track first noticed
• Purple is the continuation of the double-track on the Le Conte Crater trail.
• Green is the Le Conte Crater trail diverging from the PCT.
• Blue is the PCT
• White is the Moraine Lake trail.

The continuation of the double track might be an important clue to solving the mystery.

- Jean Luc Picard

Link to GPX tracks
Link to Trip Reports

bobcat

Post by bobcat » October 20th, 2021, 7:59 am

1988 South Sister USGS topo map. The trail doesn't appear on earlier maps (or on the next topo - 1997).

LeConte Crater trails.png
Your "faded double-track" is on some earlier maps. This is quite close to the old route of Century Drive, initially a wagon road, and now the Elk-Devils Trail. I imagine people spun off the road in vehicles and then hiked up to nearby viewpoints, so this may have been an official trail for a couple of decades (before creation of the wilderness).

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » October 21st, 2021, 6:10 am

I've always wanted to camp in Le Conte Crater. I wonder if there's really water there. Not much water in that area, it all soaks into the ground.

Now I'm going to have to check out those other trails

bobcat

Post by bobcat » October 21st, 2021, 6:29 am

I should add that the Rock Mesa lava flow is of great interest itself to geology buffs, being one of South Sister's two recent utterances (post-glacial, not more than 15,000 years old). It's possible the trail was built to explore the lava flow, which is close to obsidian consistency.

Born2BBrad

Post by Born2BBrad » October 21st, 2021, 8:45 am

Good find Bobcat!

So a likely scenario is that the faded double-track used to be a road used by vehicles, motorized or non-motorized, deviating from the main road, many decades ago.

The mystery trail through Rock Mesa may have been created as a destination to a viewpoint, or for exploration. Still, that's a lot of work to get to a viewpoint that is no better than the view from nearby Le Conte Crater. Le Conte Crater would be much easier to get to than making a trail through Rock Mesa.

BTW, there is a faded trail going up to Le Conte Crater and going around the rim of it. That was on my list to investigate, but it was nearing the end of a very long day when I was passing by it, and didn't have the spare daylight hours to check it out.
- Jean Luc Picard

Link to GPX tracks
Link to Trip Reports

Chip Down

Post by Chip Down » October 21st, 2021, 4:12 pm

retired jerry wrote:
October 21st, 2021, 6:10 am
I've always wanted to camp in Le Conte Crater. I wonder if there's really water there. Not much water in that area, it all soaks into the ground.
I camped in South Sister's crater once.
Plenty of water.
Born2BBrad wrote:
October 21st, 2021, 8:45 am
Good find Bobcat!
Indeed. Bobcat never disappoints. [Well, there was that one time, but we don't talk about it.]