Snag Creek Trail Sleuthing via Mowich Camp

Discussions and Trip Reports for off-trail adventures and rediscovering lost trails
Don Nelsen

Snag Creek Trail Sleuthing via Mowich Camp

Post by Don Nelsen » June 24th, 2021, 3:57 pm

When I explored the Snag Creek trail on May 30th, I noticed a mile marker 1 and also noted that it is only .63 miles from the upper start of the trail. I thought this odd, but after a little research, I found that the trail existed long before the extension of the 41 road. (Mile marker 2, BTW, is exactly one mile from mile marker one.)I speculated that the trail might have originally started at Mowich Camp, thus explaining the discrepancy. Checking my maps, it still didn’t add up but if the route wandered enough from there, it still might explain it. Then again, where else would it start before the road existed but Mowich?
Mowich Camp:
IMG_2440.JPG

So, on June 18th, I set out to see what I could find. The snow is long gone from roads 43 and 41 so I was able to drive right up to Mowich Camp and set out from there. When I passed by on an earlier trip May 15th and again on the 30th I did a cursory look at the area, not seeing any obvious trail beyond the camp area. Of course, I didn’t look very hard, either. This time, I took a better look and saw a well-worn trail heading off to the south of the camp area.

There always seems to be a “potty” trail leading off from camping areas but this looked like a real trail. When I saw a sawn log, after about 800’ and a couple cairns marking the route at about a quarter mile in, I knew I was on to something. I hiked on, passed one more cairn, but that was it. I lost the trail.
IMG_2444.JPG

Well, what the heck, it was nice day, I hadn’t done a good bushwhack in a while so I continued to see what I could find.

After another third of a mile of traversing a brushy, steep slope I came to a nice open talus slope with some great views. But no sign of a trail.
IMG_2450.JPG
I was committed. I was only a half mile from where I knew the Snag Creek Trail to be, but the route was increasingly tangled. I shwacked my way through a devils club and vine maple hell of a dry stream course, then another and finally I was in better terrain, not as steep and not as brushy. A nice bloom of bear grass and even a few rhododendrons appeared as I made my way closer to the known trail.
IMG_2462.JPG
IMG_2464.JPG
Then, surprise – what looked like a man-made trail heading downhill, angling slightly towards the Snag Creek trail in an arrow-straight line. It had a good tread and I was sure I was on to something, but then it abruptly ended after about 750’.

I wished now I’d tried to follow it in the other direction but that bushwhack was tiring and I was out of water, not planning for this adventure to have taken so long.

I continued on, easily locating the Snag Creek Trail and headed back to Mowich Camp and lunch.

Afterwards, noting that Chip commented that Mowich didn’t look inviting due to no tables or benches, I cut four 16” high stools out of a 12” diameter log that had recently fallen in the camp. I cleaned up some litter, and called it a day.
IMG_2442.JPG

Note: The 41 road East from road 43 is not suitable for a regular car. Several areas of deep ruts and a couple of epic mud holes. A Subaru should work, but nothing less capable, IMO. You don’t need 4WD, but do need clearance for sure. Example:
IMG_2437.JPG
3.0 miles and a pitiful 700’ EG, but it felt like about four times that!

The map:
Mowich, Snag Crrk bushwhack 061821.jpg
Hike # 50
Attachments
IMG_2447.JPG
"Everything works in the planning stage" - Kelly

"If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do" - Warren Miller

Chip Down

Re: Snag Creek Trail Sleuthing via Mowich Camp

Post by Chip Down » June 24th, 2021, 7:13 pm

Lawdy, I can't believe you drove that road. It's practically a creekbed. Pretty sure I know the exact spot you pictured, due to the branches/logs that appear to have been strategically placed to fill a rut.

Also, impressive sleuthing. Pretty cool that you noticed that mile-marker discrepancy and went looking for a plausible explanation.

Oh, and thanks for the chip-stools! :D

Bosterson

Re: Snag Creek Trail Sleuthing via Mowich Camp

Post by Bosterson » June 25th, 2021, 8:41 am

Nice exploration, DN. That's a great talus viewpoint! :)
#pnw #bestlife #bitingflies #favoriteyellowcap #neverdispleased