Mt Outlook

Discussions and Trip Reports for off-trail adventures and rediscovering lost trails
Chip Down

Mt Outlook

Post by Chip Down » May 31st, 2021, 6:17 pm

In the neighborhood of Lookout Mountain and Little Lookout Mountain is a striking peak that I'm temporarily calling Mt Outlook. Perhaps somebody here can identify it.

A few days ago, I visited Lookout Mtn for the first time, approaching from the west on Sunset-Hemlock Rd 41. Just east of Fourth of July Camp, where RD 501 strikes off and ascends Lookout, I saw this mystery peak and assumed it was Little Lookout. From the top of Lookout, I could see I was mistaken. Back down on Rd 41, I discovered if I followed the rd just a few yards east, I could see the actual Little Lookout Mountain.

Today I approached from the east, again via Rd 41. I had to get pretty close before I could see Outlook. Although it's a neat looking peak, it's not that big, so it's hidden from many vantage points. Also, even when it is visible, it tends to get lost in the background. To see how impressive it is, it helps to see it against the sky.

Share your stories of your ascent, tell us what you know about its name, or offer general comments.
Attachments
1.jpg
2b.jpg
3.jpg
North point. Above center notch, in distance, is Roosevelt Peak on McKinley Ridge.
4.jpg
Main/center summit, looking south towards Lookouts.
5.jpg
...and looking north from the southern prominence.
6.jpg
The southern prominence from the main summit.

Webfoot

Re: Mt Outlook

Post by Webfoot » June 1st, 2021, 7:58 am

I haven't been through there in a few years. Is the road from the east (through Wind River highway) still in pretty good shape?

Chip Down

Post by Chip Down » June 1st, 2021, 9:27 am

Webfoot wrote:
June 1st, 2021, 7:58 am
I haven't been through there in a few years. Is the road from the east (through Wind River highway) still in pretty good shape?
Well, funny you should ask. The east end of rd 41 (Sunset Hemlock) was recently "improved" by somebody with a chainsaw and a motorcycle. I had brought a saw for the first time in years, but didn't need it (although I did refine a few spots). The good news is it's a super fun bike ride now, no need to stop and work around trees. Bad news is the motorcycle crowd might decide this is their new playground.

Oh, wait, maybe you mean rd 43, which connects with 41 between Mowich and Lookout. I've never been, but Don recently drove it, and didn't mention any problems other than snow.

Don Nelsen

Post by Don Nelsen » June 1st, 2021, 10:06 am

Chip Down wrote:
May 31st, 2021, 6:17 pm
In the neighborhood of Lookout Mountain and Little Lookout Mountain is a striking peak that I'm temporarily calling Mt Outlook. Perhaps somebody here can identify it.

Share your stories of your ascent, tell us what you know about its name, or offer general comments.
Chip,

That's an interesting little nub and I hiked it with Kelly Wagner in March of 2015. As you mention, it looks much more striking viewed in profile against the sky and I think were it not for its proximity to the Lookout Mts. it would have a name. Kelly called it "The Nipple".

Your post reminds me of the trail that starts near there and heads down to the east fork of the Lewis. I meant to go back and explore it but forgot about it until now:
P1010843.JPG
Did you see the volcano monitoring station as you hiked up the ridge?
P1010838.JPG
BTW, I also climbed Little Lookout that day, March 10th, 2015 and there was no snow anywhere!!
P1010824.JPG
"Everything works in the planning stage" - Kelly

"If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do" - Warren Miller

Aimless

Post by Aimless » June 1st, 2021, 10:17 am

2015 was the Winter of No Snow!

Chip Down

Post by Chip Down » June 1st, 2021, 10:17 am

No snow in March?! That must have been surreal. Well, I suppose no snow is better than 10', but it sure makes for a disappointing spring/summer.

I didn't see the volcano monitor. I took a really weird route. Now I know the smart way to do it.

I was aware of that East Fork trail, and yet was surprised to see the top, as I had forgotten. Strange that there's a trail leading to...a road. It's handy in the spring, I suppose, when McKinley/Bluff pass hasn't melted out.

Chip Down

Post by Chip Down » June 1st, 2021, 10:24 am

Aimless wrote:
June 1st, 2021, 10:17 am
2015 was the Winter of No Snow!
I had to give that some thought. Wondered why I didn't remember it. I didn't hike at all in 2015 until the end of September. Weird year. Incidentally, super crappy stock market that year too. For me anyway. Took a bath. I wonder if there's a correlation between PNW snowfall and Dow Jones?

Webfoot

Post by Webfoot » June 1st, 2021, 10:44 am

Chip Down wrote:
June 1st, 2021, 9:27 am
Oh, wait, maybe you mean rd 43, which connects with 41 between Mowich and Lookout. I've never been, but Don recently drove it, and didn't mention any problems other than snow.
Yes, sorry, I had my roads confused.