Grassy Knoll via old PCT and south ridge

Discussions and Trip Reports for off-trail adventures and rediscovering lost trails
reverbhiker

Re: Grassy Knoll via old PCT and south ridge

Post by reverbhiker » May 2nd, 2021, 5:04 pm

If you have a track that would be awesome! As for the maps in the High Trails CCT book it actually looks like the route they show does go east around LWR - so I was wrong in trying to find a more direct route.
Don Nelsen wrote:
May 2nd, 2021, 4:26 pm
cfm wrote:
May 2nd, 2021, 3:35 pm
Beag says there is CCT trail from Aug to Triangle Pass:
We did not find 100% of CCT but we did complete a trail from N Aug to TP using maybe 80% of old trail. There are still CCT markers on a few trees.
I helped with that trail resurrection with beag et al and I have a GPS track. I'll see if I can find it and post it.

dn
Attachments
4CA170FD-79B7-46BA-915A-F9BBE22A81D6.jpeg

reverbhiker

Post by reverbhiker » May 2nd, 2021, 9:46 pm

Chip Down wrote:
May 2nd, 2021, 7:55 am
Hi Sean,
I'm tempted to tell you you're crazy, but you probably already know that. And anyway, it would be a pot/kettle situation. :lol:

--Yep, it's a little crazy, but part of the reason for doing this is because at some point I would like to do the entire PCT, so by doing the CCT this year it's doing something "different" - I wouldn't be duplicating the exact same route if/when I do the whole thing. Another part of it is that it's just fun putting a route together, doing the research leading up to the hike. It's been fun reading about the CCT, and then reading the High Trails book published in the early 60's. I did 75% of the Chinook Trail a couple of years ago, and had a lot of fun putting the route together for that hike as well (I hope to complete a bunch of sections I missed with that hike this summer).

Your intended route is the mint-colored solid line, right?

--Yes

I gather you know the old CCT runs west of the Aug trail, so you'll need to depart the new scenic trail at some point and follow a utility road west to hook up with the road that runs along the CCT alignment. I think there's a point further south where you could meet the old CCT, but there are access issues on the easy/obvious route, and I haven't yet explored all the alternates to see what would pan out.

--Yes, there are a few points along the entire CCT that we would be choosing road walking instead of better established trail. The biggee is the North Cascades road walk instead of the Cuthroat Pass area of the current PCT, but I've done that section in the past, and I haven't been in the Canyon Creek/Barron/Slate Peack area of the NCNP before.

I agree that the LWR crossing will be the crux in this area. You could follow powerlines west and hook up with a fun abandoned road that takes you towards Triangle, but it's quite a diversion, and the river crossing still might get tricky. The powerline road doesn't cross the river, which usually is a clue that it won't be easy.

Your intended route in the Triangle area strikes me as odd, as you're showing road walking instead of following the old PCT alignment. Going way over to Goat Point seems to be way off the CCT alignment, but I can't be sure. Hmm.
--We'll I kinda spaced out, since if I'm actually following the CCT maps in the High Trails book, then I would actually go east around Little Wind River, towards Goat Point, and then back west towards Triangle Pass. It looks like there are various abandoned roads/forest roads that would make it doable.

Sean

Chip Down

Post by Chip Down » May 4th, 2021, 6:43 pm

beag wrote:
April 26th, 2021, 5:55 pm
On your bike ride just a short distance from Triangle Pass on a gentle curve, the North end of the CC trail comes out to road maybe 100, 150 paces from TP junction. Trail should be easy to find and was in good shape and easy to follow.
Couldn't find it.
Attachments
1.jpg
Trying to find route connecting triangle (triangle pass) and pentagon (west of Augspurger)
2.jpg
random exploring: viewpoint
3.jpg
random exploring: viewpoint
4.jpg
random exploring: peak
5.jpg
random exploring: ridge
6.jpg
random exploring: road
7.jpg
No trail in sight.
8.jpg
Interesting culvert.
9.jpg
I was nervous about taking just one beer. Sure, I like burnt caramel and black truffle and lava salt. But would it be a good combo? Or would it be like garlic and banana? Turned out okay.

AlpenGlowHiker

Post by AlpenGlowHiker » May 6th, 2021, 9:01 am

Chip, in regards to the Cedar Cr. trail, have you seen this post?

#149 Cedar Creek Trail, July 23, 2011

Chip Down

Post by Chip Down » May 6th, 2021, 10:43 am

Yes, ran into that when I googled. Pablo to the rescue, again. :D
I haven't sifted through it all. Probably won't. I was intrigued by the sign, but doubt I'll ever pursue this.

Don Nelsen

Post by Don Nelsen » May 6th, 2021, 11:08 am

Here are a few photos I took on the old CCT section up to Triangle Pass. Where it meets the road there is a 6 or 8 foot drop making it hard to see from the road.
P1000889.JPG
P1000888.JPG
P1000887.JPG
P1000886.JPG
P1000884.JPG
P1000883.JPG
P1000882.JPG
"Everything works in the planning stage" - Kelly

"If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do" - Warren Miller

Chip Down

Post by Chip Down » May 6th, 2021, 1:21 pm

Don Nelsen wrote:
May 6th, 2021, 11:08 am
...hard to see from the road.
Which road? I went north and looked to my right, and I went east and looked to my left.

Don Nelsen

Post by Don Nelsen » May 6th, 2021, 2:12 pm

Chip Down wrote:
May 6th, 2021, 1:21 pm
Don Nelsen wrote:
May 6th, 2021, 11:08 am
...hard to see from the road.
Which road? I went north and looked to my right, and I went east and looked to my left.

It's been exactly three years since I went through there with some friends. Probably even harder to spot now.
CCT exploration May 6th, 2018.jpg
Attachments
CCT route LWR crossing.jpg

"If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do" - Warren Miller

Chip Down

Post by Chip Down » May 6th, 2021, 2:36 pm

Okay, got it. I did check that out, saw some sawcut branches, but it was really brushy and soppy wet, and it wasn't descending as expected. Oh, but wait, it doesn't drop from the road, as you described. Just barely down Rd 6808 there's a road remnant that I tried as well. It dropped and followed the ridge parallel to Little Wind River, but ended abruptly.

Don, if it wouldn't be too much trouble, could you go flag it for me? Print a thousand of the image below and staple to trees along the way.
Attachments
20210505_135417.jpg

Don Nelsen

Post by Don Nelsen » May 6th, 2021, 2:42 pm

Chip Down wrote:
May 6th, 2021, 2:36 pm

Don, if it wouldn't be too much trouble, could you go flag it for me? Print a thousand of the image below and staple to trees along the way.
:lol: :lol: :lol: