Grassy Knoll via old PCT and south ridge

Discussions and Trip Reports for off-trail adventures and rediscovering lost trails
RobinB

Re: Grassy Knoll via old PCT and south ridge

Post by RobinB » May 8th, 2021, 11:20 pm

Don Nelsen wrote:
May 2nd, 2021, 4:26 pm
cfm wrote:
May 2nd, 2021, 3:35 pm
Beag says there is CCT trail from Aug to Triangle Pass:
We did not find 100% of CCT but we did complete a trail from N Aug to TP using maybe 80% of old trail. There are still CCT markers on a few trees.
I helped with that trail resurrection with beag et al and I have a GPS track. I'll see if I can find it and post it.

dn
I have no idea where I got it - possibly from Don or one of his compatriots? - but I've had a GPS track of the route from Augspurger to Triangle Pass hanging out on my computer for a while. Not sure how accurate it is - I've never checked, despite meaning to for years - but it's attached.
Attachments
AugToTriangle.gpx
(11.28 KiB) Downloaded 168 times

reverbhiker

Post by reverbhiker » May 11th, 2021, 8:07 am

Thank you - this is exactly what I was looking for. If we do actually do the CCT hike, it wouldn't be until August so I'll keep watching this thread to see if anyone does further investigation over the coming months. The fallback plan would just be to go further east towards Goat Point, then back west to Triangle Pass.

Sean
RobinB wrote:
May 8th, 2021, 11:20 pm
Don Nelsen wrote:
cfm wrote:

I helped with that trail resurrection with beag et al and I have a GPS track. I'll see if I can find it and post it.

dn
I have no idea where I got it - possibly from Don or one of his compatriots? - but I've had a GPS track of the route from Augspurger to Triangle Pass hanging out on my computer for a while. Not sure how accurate it is - I've never checked, despite meaning to for years - but it's attached.

Don Nelsen

Post by Don Nelsen » May 11th, 2021, 9:10 am

RobinB wrote:
May 8th, 2021, 11:20 pm
Don Nelsen wrote:
cfm wrote:

dn

Nope, not my track but I believe it's correct - except that little left hand hook right at the south end. That's a short section of long abandoned logging road that leads to the trail. Could be one of the other guys. Not beag, though, he doesn't use gps.
"Everything works in the planning stage" - Kelly

"If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do" - Warren Miller

Chip Down

Post by Chip Down » June 23rd, 2021, 10:02 pm

I was in the Grassy Knoll area today, doing a bunch of little stuff. Rather than starting my car a dozen times and subjecting it to the abuse of several short trips, I dropped my car at Grassy Knoll TH and used my bike to get around. Of course, I was very cautious, not wanting to be chastised by any bears who might want the road to themselves. ;)

Some of my adventures have been reported in another discussion, and some require a follow-up trip before a TR is warranted. This post describes a viewpoint I wanted to visit when I was on Grassy Knoll a few weeks ago, but I was just too lazy, or in a hurry, I don't recall. The VP is on a ridge to the west of the ascent I reported above (OP).

There were three fun surprises, as described in pics below.
Attachments
20210416_082226.jpg
20210623_141510.jpg
Notice how the grassy/rocky slope is undercut/eroded at the bottom, thus producing a cave. I didn't investigate. My suspicion is there's not a big cave, but it was a fun find anyway.
20210623_141712.jpg
I thought this would be just a bench above a rocky outcropping, but as you can see, it turned out to be a nice little ridge.
20210623_142513.jpg
The viewpoint hosted a flat meadow at the top. I expected it to be rocky. Either way (rocky or grassy) is fine; my fear was that it would be brushy.
20210623_143205.jpg