How about this falls..?

Discussions and Trip Reports for off-trail adventures and rediscovering lost trails
Splintercat

Re: How about this falls..?

Post by Splintercat » July 28th, 2009, 3:25 pm

Just west of Warren Creek - better known for Lancaster Falls:

Ken, I've looked at the "drain hole" image many times -- how far is this from the lip of the original Warren Creek Falls..? How deep is the hole? At one time, there was some sort of weir at the top of Warren Creek (former) Falls to prevent overflow from coming down the old channel, but that went away some time ago, and now it's pretty clear that some water has made it over the top on occasion.

Also, what is the diameter (roughly) of the tunnel..? I need to order a rubber cork to fit...

Tom :D

chameleon

Post by chameleon » July 28th, 2009, 6:38 pm

Tom, that area is easily accessed if you're interested in checking it out (Starvation Ridge tr.) It's one of those places that probably should be blocked off though, given the yahoos that might severely injure (or kill) themselves on such a remarkable feature. I'm sure given the accessibility of the area, not everyone that has checked it out has had the caution and good judgment of the canyoneers who posted those cool pics. That's perhaps another stupid thing about moving the falls...they created a cool cave that just beckons to be checked out by those who shouldn't! If they had left it as is, that allure wouldn't exist on this feature. Probably the only ones who'd be interested in going down the natural fall would've been folks with the know-how to do so safe and soundly.
-Zach

Sore Feet

Post by Sore Feet » July 28th, 2009, 10:05 pm

Wonder Creek = Lancaster Falls