Silver Star, southeast summit

Discussions and Trip Reports for off-trail adventures and rediscovering lost trails
Chip Down

Silver Star, southeast summit

Post by Chip Down » March 21st, 2020, 8:24 pm

I almost didn't do this. Thought there might be too much snow. Nope, it was perfect. Clouds put on a nice show around noon, swooping up from the valleys and swirling around the peaks. That was one of the best parts of the day. I've been here at least twice before, but never enjoyed it this much. It was too beautiful to leave, so I decided not to continue to the main summit; spent maybe a couple hours at my high point.

other parties: Could see a few people on top of the main summit. That was all.
Attachments
1.JPG
2.jpg
Approaching SE summit from SE.
3.jpg
I had considered ascending this ridge, but it would have been a bit of work just to get to it. From my high point, I dropped down the ridge a bit, but got spooked when I hit an icy patch and slid a bit. Turned and headed back up.
4.jpg
After poking around north of my summit, now headed back south.
5.jpg
A little closer.
6.jpg
I came up the ridge on the right, then a little above treeline I moved over to the ridge on the left and followed it up, sometimes on snow, sometimes rock.
7.jpg

Bosterson

Re: Silver Star, southeast summit

Post by Bosterson » March 21st, 2020, 8:44 pm

Chip Down wrote:
March 21st, 2020, 8:24 pm
OMG I saw a billboard for those driving out to the Gorge today. I hope you found them out there rather than actually spending real money to buy them. Urine flavored beer meets alcoholic water. Gads. :shock:
#pnw #bestlife #bitingflies #favoriteyellowcap #neverdispleased

Chip Down

Re: Silver Star, southeast summit

Post by Chip Down » March 22nd, 2020, 5:34 am

Sadly, spent "real money" on them. I was pleasantly surprised when I saw the ingredient list: carbonated water, ethanol, natural flavors, citric acid, sodium citrate. How bad could they be, right? Gadzooks, they were awful.