Do you know this falls...?

Discussions and Trip Reports for off-trail adventures and rediscovering lost trails
chameleon

Do you know this falls...?

Post by chameleon » July 20th, 2009, 9:38 pm

Today I did a bit of recon for a canyon (in the Gorge) that I haven't explored much yet. Just a short ways up the stream is a lovely waterfall. I'm sure a few intrepid folks have seen this waterfall (though probably not the ones in the upper canyon - if there are any). Given the proximity of this falls to another well-known falls though, it would really surprise me if someone doesn't recognize it. I even found a cairn on the stream below, where someone had marked a secret way to get above the well-known fall to this one. So consider it a quiz...where is this falls? In my opinion, it is much more photogenic than its well-known neighbor.
IMG_2520.jpg
IMG_2518.jpg
-Zach

pyles_94

Re: Do you know this falls...?

Post by pyles_94 » July 21st, 2009, 9:01 am

wild guesses:
above sheppards dell (youngs creek)
gorton creek
dry creek?
Jamey Pyles

Splintercat

Post by Splintercat » July 21st, 2009, 12:04 pm

Hmm... by process of elimination:

1. Doesn't seem like Latourell Creek, since it flattens out above the upper falls.

2. Could be Youngs Creek (per Jamey), but the description doesn't quite fit.

3. Definitely not Wahekeena or Multnomah Creeks.

4. Definitely not Oneonta Creek.

5. Probably not Horsetail Creek, given the "short distance", since the area above Ponytail has been bushwhacked.

6. Definitely not McCord, Moffett or Tanner, since all have been covered extensively here on PH.

7. Eagle Creek drainage... well, Zach has been focusing on that area a lot, so one spot that this might fit is above Loowit Falls -- "lovely" and well-known, for sure, and the cairn part could fit, too.

8. Not Ruckel, since it has also been heavily documented in recent years.

Could be one of the eastern Gorge creeks, too -- I like Jamey's guess of Gorton Creek. The volume looks right.

Nice shots, Zach! It is a beauty, indeed!

Tom :)

chameleon

Post by chameleon » July 21st, 2009, 12:22 pm

Here's a hint. While its well known sibling is very beautiful in person, it is somewhat aggrivating to photograph. I for one am never satisfied with photos I get of it. It's photogenic qualities are sadly lacking in its overall form. However, taken in bits and pieces, there are beautiful details. I'll wait for a few more guesses...hopefully someone will say with certainty here shortly...before I unveil the answer.

The dimensions of this falls are as follows - 2 tiers - each @ 25 ft. I am standing about halfway up the bottom tier right above a 10 ft cliff to get this shot. The total drop is 50-60 ft.

-Zach

airdrum

Post by airdrum » July 21st, 2009, 12:47 pm

Well if you want an attempt for someone to just blurt I might ask if you are starving for an answer, Zach?!

I will blurt out starvation creek
Andy

Excursionista

Post by Excursionista » July 21st, 2009, 1:30 pm

Because I've never been satisfied with a photo of it, I'm going to guess Metlako Falls.

The C-Ws

Post by The C-Ws » July 21st, 2009, 1:55 pm

Is it Wy'east Creek? Otherwise I would agree with Starvation.
--Casey

Splintercat

Post by Splintercat » July 21st, 2009, 5:13 pm

It looks too dinky to be the upper tier of Starvation... unless it's another falls upstream, and out of view from the main falls... here's the upper tier of Starvation:

Tom

chameleon

Post by chameleon » July 21st, 2009, 5:45 pm

Great shot of upper starvation Tom! Getting down that entire falls is going to require the "long rope" for sure. It looks like one could rappel down into that intriguing basin - I'm guessing there will be a deep volcanic "sauna" at the base of that top tier, then a little quiet area before it pours over the edge. Luckily that tree looks like a terrific anchor for the 200ft rappel down the lower drop!

Alright...since most of the folks I suspected might have checked it out have weighed in I'll reveal the identity of this currently un-named falls. In all honesty, the cairn may or may not have marked a secret path up...I'm just guessing because it looks plausible...I took a different route...what I will refer to as the "heart attack" route because of the sweltering heat, steep, crumbly frustrating nature of my goofy path.

The falls is... just around the corner from the two visible tiers of Gorton Creek Falls. I know Joe and Eliza explored a ways up Gorton last summer (though not the whole thing Joe tells me), so I assume at least they've seen this beauty...unless their route somehow bypassed to the stream above it.

The way I took involved following the ridge between Harphan and Gorton creeks to the 1250 ft point, where it hits a cliff band, then traversing a slope above lower cliff bands (those you see above Gorton Creek falls), at which point you have access to upper Gorton Creek. I know someone checked out the ridge for some purpose...a potential trail up it?...because I found stupid flagging tape for a quarter mile leading up to the traverse past the cliff bands. They must have stopped at that point though because I found no tape beyond. From there, it is a crumbly, steep, but forested descent to Gorton Creek. It was a ridiculously draining way to bypass the falls...but a good workout, and gave me a good idea of the layout of the lower canyon. When it is hot though...wow, use caution, unless you're on the stream bed itself, the canyon walls are like a sauna!

Here's a photo of the comlier sibling shortly downstream...
Gorton Creek Falls.jpg
-Zach

Splintercat

Post by Splintercat » July 22nd, 2009, 1:46 pm

That's interesting, Zach - did you come down a different way that didn't involve a rope? I noticed a boot path heading up the ravine to the right (west) of the falls last time I was there, and wondered if it led to a route past the falls. I remember somebody (Joe?) talking about taking the ledge around the east lip of the falls... or Jamey, perhaps? Yowsa. I'll pass on that one!

BTW, the upper tier on Gorton is sort of a mini-version of Wahkeena, don't you think? (or did you already say that..?)

Back to Starvation, it looks to me like a bold explorer (like yourself) using ropes could use the handy Douglas fir leaning against the cliffs as a route into the bowl. That's one of those spots that looks quite beautiful... but I'll have to live vicariously on that one. My climbing days are behind me.

Tom