Upper Siouxon Creek

Discussions and Trip Reports for off-trail adventures and rediscovering lost trails
Koda

Upper Siouxon Creek

Post by Koda » July 19th, 2009, 10:15 pm

I've always enjoyed the beauty of the crystal pools and falls along Siouxon creek Wa. Honestly, a little excited about the road closure on FR57 as there was no one back there when I did a day hike a few weeks ago. The hike got me to looking at the topo of the creek further upstream and curiosity got the best of me so I had to explore further. Until they fix 57, good access is from forest road 58 using the 130 trail.

For todays adventure, I parked at the 130 trailhead, but walked back up the road a bit the way I drove in, until the topography shows a descent would be easier where I descended to the creek, due north. My intent was to check out the “S” shaped bend in the creek as viewed on the topo map.

I was surprised how little water volume there was in this section. More on that in a bit... Descending the creek bed, it didn't take long to get to the area where I wanted to check out. Nothing significant along the way. As you enter into that “S” shape you find some interesting slides in the creek. (IMG_2605) and then further down the bigger one (Siouxon Slide 1 and 2 jpg... forgive my quick photo stitch job)

At this point, it was my intention to turn around, but I was having fun and decided to explore further downstream. I came across a small falls about 30 feet tall (IMG_2622). And then further downstream a small tributary flows in (IMG_2633), here is where the water volume picks up more like the Siouxon Creek I know downstream. Along the way.. a few small photogenic slides/falls (Siouxon 1.jpg, IMG_2643, IMG_2646, IMG_2650) …I tried to be photogenic here, but the lighting was tough and I'm not really that good at photography anyways :)

Blow this, was the largest falls for today (IMG_2654). From this picture, you can see the creek flow to the right. When I turned around 180°, the creek is to the left and flows over a slide, but to the right (looking downstream) was a rather deep pool I thought unique (IMG_2657). I didn't check it out closely, but I imagine during high water flow, the creek spills over the drop off right into this... would be an interesting site to see.

I continued downstream for a ways keeping an eye on the terrain to my SW for an exit up to trail 130. about 2000 elevation, I came to a place where the creek had steep sides and what looked like a swim in the deeper pools would be the only way. At first, I started up the SW side looking for a way around this spot, but decided to make my exit being so late in the afternoon. From my previous hike on trail 130, its a steep hike out, and completely blown over in the middle portion, places where the trail is completely gone and tough bushwhacking to climb over the blowdown. I figured I would call it a day...
Attachments
IMG_2605.JPG
Siouxon Slide 2.jpg
Siouxon Slide 1.jpg
IMG_2622.JPG
IMG_2633.JPG
Siouxon 1.jpg
IMG_2643.JPG
IMG_2646.JPG
IMG_2650.JPG
IMG_2654.JPG
IMG_2657.JPG
IMG_2625.JPG
IMG_2659.JPG
lightweight, cheap, strong... pick 2

anna in boots

Re: Upper Siouxon Creek

Post by anna in boots » July 20th, 2009, 4:57 am

Koda, that's the most decorated tadpole I've ever seen! Must be a Las Vegas showgirl tadpole. And that rock pool formation looks so inviting. What are it's dimensions? It looks like the perfect size for a one man jacuzzi! Too bad the water's not exactly "warm." Great hike!

anna in boots
Current trip reports at All Thoughts Work™ Outdoors
http://allthoughtsworkoutdoors.wordpress.com/

Stefrobrts

Post by Stefrobrts » July 20th, 2009, 4:12 pm

You're not good at photography? Image 2650 looks like a keeper to me! Nice job. Looks like a beautiful place :D
Stephanie
Vancouver, WA

Koda

Post by Koda » July 20th, 2009, 5:51 pm

Anna,

yes, that pool was very tempting, its actually a bit larger than the photo shows. Would accomodate 3 or 4 people comfortably. I didnt check it out closer because I could not easily get down there, but it would be fun to go for a dunk there, the weather these days are certainly hot enough even for the cold creek waters. this was actually one of the reasons I wanted to check out this creek, was hoping for a large swimming hole well away from the trails and hikers.

....those tad poles were everywhere!

Stefrobrts: Thanks for the compliment but trust me, Im not really that great at photography. Im very limited with the little point and shoot camera I have. Would love to buy myself a nicer SLR someday, but right now, I have other priorities. I have a little trick I do to get the camera to smooth out the water, but while sometimes the colors turn out great, sometimes they do not... and I haven't figured out why just yet. to me, 2650 was one of those that did not turn out so well, too dark. I was very dissapointed as that shot was very photogenic. I go hiking to these places for the fun and adventure, but am having fun with the camera along the way.
lightweight, cheap, strong... pick 2