Palmer Mill Rd/Primrose Path - Dec 7, 2018

Discussions and Trip Reports for off-trail adventures and rediscovering lost trails
pablo

Palmer Mill Rd/Primrose Path - Dec 7, 2018

Post by pablo » December 7th, 2018, 6:34 pm

Now that the BV Platter is open for business I thought I check on Primrose Path conditions and it is about what I expected knowing the the burn went through the ridge the route follows. There are bits and pieces of tread but the trail, such as it was, has taken a serious hit. Others had preceded me and one person with a set of clippers helped with route finding by snipping bits of the brush that has grown since the fire.

I should say at this point, in light of some recent posts, that the BV Platter is new again, and this doesn't bother me all that much. I do not attribute to malice any of the actions the FS has taken during and since the fire; looks like standard forest practices. I don't have to like it but I'm a glass half full kinda person and will enjoy exploring new areas up there.

The plan was go up Palmer Mill Rd from Angels Rest and see what the condition of Palmer Mill Rd and at what point did the decommissioning that Lurch mentioned in a previous post start. From there I would go to Devils Rest and take the Primrose Path to intersect the trail to Angels Rest for the return.

I parked at the Angels Rest trail head parking lot and walked up Palmer Mill road to the barricade and continued. The road from the barricade to the old washout has never been in better shape. It was getting overgrown and there were a couple of trees across the road prior to the fire, no more of that.

ImageDSCN0997 by pauljess999, on Flickr

All good things must come to an end - in this case the old washout is where the FS chose to end the decom for a fire break I guess. Bummer as Palmer Mill Rd was a favorite of mine for doing bike and hikes with Larch Mtn.

ImageDSCN1000 by pauljess999, on Flickr

ImageDSCN1002 by pauljess999, on Flickr

As Lurch had reported on the decom at the Multnomah Basin Rd end of Palmer Mill I have to assume this goes on until that junction. OK, I'm good with that - and it doesn't look as bad as some of the photos I've seen in other places. One thing that is new for me is that I located a road just a little beyond the start of the decom on the south side of Bridal Veil creek that will need exploring. I followed it up until a switchback.

ImageDSCN1009 by pauljess999, on Flickr

Looking up from the switchback to the road heading southwest.

ImageDSCN1011 by pauljess999, on Flickr

I wanted to go up Palmer Mill to the junction with Multnomah Basin Rd but I did not feel like traveling on decom'd road (which doesn't look quite as bad as some of the pics I've seen of other roads) so I went up the hill direct to Devils Rest. Brush is almost non-existent through un-burned areas which was nice.

ImageDSCN1025 by pauljess999, on Flickr

Burned areas were OK also.

ImageDSCN1037 by pauljess999, on Flickr

I ran into a road, followed it for a while, I think it is marked on maps - I don't have the number handy. A pile of trash from 20-30 years ago. Historical artifacts at this point, I guess.

Ran into something that looks SAR-like, the aluminum tag one on the left sez something 'Mouse' and the right one something about 'MCSO SAR'. Please translate.

ImageDSCN1046 by pauljess999, on Flickr

Ran into a little brush but the way to Devils Rest trail was pretty straightforward. Once there I headed down Primrose and at this point I have to say the only part that looks like the old Primrose is the start.

As has been reported, the sign is still there.

ImageDSCN1052 by pauljess999, on Flickr

From there on near total destruction - this is looking back up the hill at that first section through the brush. My Primrose GPS track kept me close.

ImageDSCN1054 by pauljess999, on Flickr

That nice little forested section got hammered but no brush, not sure if I was on trail through here or not, close.

ImageDSCN1059 by pauljess999, on Flickr

Some clipping along the path has been done.

ImageDSCN1068 by pauljess999, on Flickr

Looking down the ridge.

ImageDSCN1070 by pauljess999, on Flickr

Fire opened up this nice look up the Columbia

ImageDSCN1079 by pauljess999, on Flickr

I intersected the trail to Angels Rest and headed back.

One thing to note, the trail from Angels Rest to Devils Rest got no love. In the photo below, to the left is the trail to Wahkeena on the right the trail to Devils Rest.

ImageDSCN1104 by pauljess999, on Flickr

Wind on Angels Rest was fierce, hard to stand up. I noticed there is a waterfall in view now I hadn't noticed before. I think if I looked hard enough I could find an old chameleon post about it.

ImageDSCN1105 by pauljess999, on Flickr

Phoca Rock was getting hammered by wind driven waves.

ImageDSCN1153 by pauljess999, on Flickr

About 10 miles, 2900' EG. Lots of new explorations to do. Someone needs to check out that trail along Coopey Creek up to Wine Bottle Junction.

ImagePalmerMillPrimroseMap by pauljess999, on Flickr
The future's uncertain and the end is always near.

Webfoot

Re: Palmer Mill Rd/Primrose Path - Dec 7, 2018

Post by Webfoot » December 8th, 2018, 2:15 am

Thanks for the photos. It looks interesting, but it's going to take some getting used to. :|

I wish they would open Palmer Mill Road to vehicles as far as the decommissioning; that section of road looks in great shape now.

bobcat

Post by bobcat » December 8th, 2018, 8:59 am

Thanks for the update. I took a more conventional approach in this area the day before. Primrose has been large on my mind, and it's clear the trail fairies have been in the area doing a modicum of brush work.

arlohike

Post by arlohike » December 25th, 2018, 2:58 pm

I located a road just a little beyond the start of the decom on the south side of Bridal Veil creek that will need exploring. I followed it up until a switchback.
I think I know the road you mean. I followed it once a few years ago. It climbed to the top rim of the gravel pit before fading into the bushes. At that point, two flags on the left indicated something of interest in the woods to the southeast, but I couldn’t figure out what and didn’t see any flags further into the woods.
TrailCheck (iOS / Android)
Elevation Tracker (iOS / Apple Watch)

pablo

Post by pablo » December 25th, 2018, 10:02 pm

arlohike wrote:
December 25th, 2018, 2:58 pm
I located a road just a little beyond the start of the decom on the south side of Bridal Veil creek that will need exploring. I followed it up until a switchback.
I think I know the road you mean. I followed it once a few years ago. It climbed to the top rim of the gravel pit before fading into the bushes. At that point, two flags on the left indicated something of interest in the woods to the southeast, but I couldn’t figure out what and didn’t see any flags further into the woods.
Thx for the info, I'll put it on my list. I think I saw on a map that it ends like you say right above the pit but there is a flat spot and a nice ridge going south east that might be worth exploring.

--Paul

Lurch

Post by Lurch » December 26th, 2018, 12:39 am

pablo wrote:
December 25th, 2018, 10:02 pm
arlohike wrote:
Thx for the info, I'll put it on my list. I think I saw on a map that it ends like you say right above the pit but there is a flat spot and a nice ridge going south east that might be worth exploring.

--Paul
Just a thought, but depending which pit you're talking about, you're either getting onto or very very near to private property, so be aware of that in your wanderings

pablo

Post by pablo » December 26th, 2018, 2:31 pm

Lurch wrote:
December 26th, 2018, 12:39 am
pablo wrote:
December 25th, 2018, 10:02 pm
arlohike wrote:

--Paul
Just a thought, but depending which pit you're talking about, you're either getting onto or very very near to private property, so be aware of that in your wanderings
Well, just walking the length of the non-decommed part Palmer Mill Rd puts you on private property and the PP is on both sides of the road. I went to the MC tax lot mapping app and captured the following. Location of the Pit is my mark so I think the road in question is entirely on public ground but likely ends at the boundary of public property. Obviously the FS has been given an easement by the landowner for the portion of Palmer Mill Rd that crosses the PP part - likely one that has FS maintain the road and culverts. Explains why FS didn't decomm the entire length of the road to the barrier on the west end.

--Paul
PalmerMillPit.png

Splintercat

Post by Splintercat » December 26th, 2018, 10:18 pm

Paul, that’s Foxglove Falls. The fire has made what was once illusive much more visible!

https://www.oregonhikers.org/archive/view/16909

Tom

Eric Peterson

Post by Eric Peterson » December 29th, 2018, 7:34 am

Color me stupid but does this mean people can't drive to the Trails Club Lodge anymore?

Guy

Post by Guy » December 29th, 2018, 7:41 am

Eric Peterson wrote:
December 29th, 2018, 7:34 am
Color me stupid but does this mean people can't drive to the Trails Club Lodge anymore?
Road to Nesika is unchanged Eric, we drove in this past summer for a volunteer weekend. Also walked it this fall and no change.

https://photos.smugmug.com/Outdoors-Hik ... e-1280.mp4
hiking log & photos.
Ad monte summa aut mors