The GoalTech Mt Hood High Route - 360 Loop

Discussions and Trip Reports for off-trail adventures and rediscovering lost trails
Chip Down

Re: The GoalTech Mt Hood High Route - 360 Loop

Post by Chip Down » October 21st, 2018, 3:42 pm

mjirving wrote:
October 21st, 2018, 6:51 am
mjanardh wrote:
October 20th, 2018, 9:33 pm
an incredible accomplishment indeed Mike.
Thanks! It was amazing to plan and amazing to execute. I can’t wait to to it in reverse next summer with several imorovements.
Oh, interesting. Is there a strategy to that, or just for variety? Sorry if that's already been discussed; this topic needs its own index! :geek:

mjirving

Post by mjirving » October 21st, 2018, 9:11 pm

[/quote]
Thanks! It was amazing to plan and amazing to execute. I can’t wait to to it in reverse next summer with several imorovements.
[/quote]Oh, interesting. Is there a strategy to that, or just for variety? Sorry if that's already been discussed; this topic needs its own index! :geek:
[/quote]

The “reverse” is just for variety. I’m changing the White River portion to match my hike last week which you’re aware of.

Then, I’d like to scout your recommendations to get over Newton Clark, and also scout going up cathedral ridge and across Glisan to Ladd if that’s not too sketchy.

Perhaps crossing Coe per several comments, but I’m a tad hesitant about that glacier...not sure how hesitant I should be.

Sounds like Reid isn’t going to happen, but maybe something?? Probably not. The rest of the route is pretty solid I think.

Mike

RobinB

Post by RobinB » October 25th, 2018, 2:17 pm

Wow, what a fantastic report - thanks so much for all the effort! I really appreciate the writing, and the attention to detail. I've done a few of the off trail bits, but never thought of connecting them all. I guess I've got a project for next summer :)

mjirving

Post by mjirving » October 25th, 2018, 6:04 pm

Thanks Robin, I’m glad you found it useful. Enjoy your journey and be sure to report back on improvements.

Mike

Limey

Post by Limey » October 31st, 2018, 5:35 pm

I just read an article in the 1922 Hood River Glacier about 5 American Legion guys who did a high route 360. It's a good read. I will try to link to it. If it doesn't work, the article starts on page one and has a short continuance on page 2.
It's the August 17th 1922 edition.
https://oregonnews.uoregon.edu/lccn/sn9 ... 2-08-17/ed

Schrauf

Post by Schrauf » October 31st, 2018, 6:18 pm

That link didn't quite work but on that site I just searched for "hood river glacier august 1922" and then clicked on the day (17) and found all the pages pretty quickly. Good find!

mjirving

Post by mjirving » October 31st, 2018, 6:39 pm

Wow...what a find and what a treasure! Thanks for the link. I ended up having to browse for it. Maybe this link is better?

https://oregonnews.uoregon.edu/lccn/sn9 ... d-1/seq-1/

Here are a few observations:
It was like reading poetry!

Their masterful guide was named Weygant. I wonder if that is the same name as Wygant Peak?

The Hood River Glacier newspaper was $2 per year.

They camped one night at timber line at the top of the trail from Government Camp...I wonder if they were in the footprint of Timberline Lodge!

They were wise people in their feeling of importance to make the area accessible to the public as it was so inspirational to them and would inspire people about the importance of the outdoors.

Sounds like we need to find out how they got across Reid...maybe they found the elusive route! (Sounds like it was pretty sketchy for them too!)

Maybe it’s about time for that pack mule to finally pop out of the bottom of Eliot glacier!

Camping on the summit of Hood...pretty cool!

Great read!
Mike

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » November 1st, 2018, 5:24 am

tomatoes 2 cents per pound

4 digit phone numbers????

Limey

Post by Limey » November 1st, 2018, 10:59 am

Mark Weygandt was an interesting guy. He was a guide on the mountain for several years and reportedly climbed it 588 times.
The Mazamas did a circumnav. the next year. I think their reports might give more info on the crossing of Reid Glacier. On one trip they even had a dog with them. Very interesting stuff.

romann

Post by romann » November 6th, 2018, 12:24 am

Epic report, outstanding pictures! Will read it all when I get time. The mountain seems so different in your photos than what it looks from near the treeline, so many landmarks I barely noticed before. Thanks for writing it up, lots of details, will read it with large map in hand..