The GoalTech Mt Hood High Route - 360 Loop

Discussions and Trip Reports for off-trail adventures and rediscovering lost trails
DannyH

Re: The GoalTech Mt Hood High Route - 360 Loop

Post by DannyH » October 10th, 2018, 5:30 am

Thanks for putting the time and energy into such a detailed report. That was fun to read!
"It isn't the mountain ahead that wears you out; it's the grain of sand in your shoe."

Schrauf

Post by Schrauf » October 11th, 2018, 6:06 pm

Today I hiked a portion of your high route on the north side, from Cloud Cap, up to cross Eliot, to the east moraine of Coe Glacier where I headed down and used the TLT to complete the loop. It is a good route. The toughest part for me was the narrow snow field east of Coe where you used your ice axe. The snow was no problem, and dropping in on the east side of that snow field was no problem, but the steep, slick, loose bank on the west side was sketchy for the exit. I was about 100 feet higher than your route, which was part of the problem. That, and dodging plum and apple-sized rocks flying down the slope as I hit the mid-morning thaw cycle. I started at dawn when it was 30 degrees but the increase in rockfall was significant as it warmed up. The cliff above Eliot was not too sketchy, once I started across that section westbound.

As I approached the ridge of the east moraine of Coe Glacier, I stayed higher than your route rather than heading up that steep slope of flat loose scree. That slope looked nasty from below, but I'm sure it was not as bad as it looked. I wanted to go higher up that gentle ridge above Coe Glacier (the continuation of the east moraine ridge) anyway, so my higher route at that point was a good setup. I got up to 7.3k on that ridge but could have gone higher with easy hiking. It was no problem to then descend the ridge to get back on your route. If this spot isn't clear I can post an image.

My only other comment is it sure seems crossing the foot of Coe Glacier at about 6.2k would be doable, and that would save a lot of trail hiking lower down. There are several spots the east moraine is less steep, for going up or down without too much sketch. Obviously there's some risk to crossing the glacier with the layer of rock and dirt on top, but it appears similar to the foot of Eliot Glacier, as long as one picks the correct crossing point. It's a matter of going slow and watching for hidden crevasses below the rock and dirt. The west moraine seems less steep and much lower about 1/4 mile up (south) of where your route attained the ridge and headed down (north). What I couldn't tell is if that upper section of the west moraine ridge above where you hit it is too narrow to hike. Of course doing this crossing would be safer with a hiking partner to get help or throw a rope if necessary.

Edited to add map with slope shading: black line is GoalTech's route; orange line is my route, including the spur higher up the ridge just for fun; green line is possible crossing of glacier between the moraine ridges over heavy rock and dirt, about 1000 feet upstream of the foot of the glacier.
Coe.jpg
Last edited by Schrauf on October 12th, 2018, 6:50 am, edited 3 times in total.

Chip Down

Post by Chip Down » October 11th, 2018, 6:58 pm

Schrauf wrote:
October 11th, 2018, 6:06 pm
...it sure seems crossing the foot of Coe Glacier at about 6.2k would be doable, and that would save a lot of trail hiking lower down. There are several spots the east moraine is less steep, for going up or down without too much sketch. Obviously there's some risk to crossing the glacier with the layer of rock and dirt on top, but it appears similar to the foot of Eliot Glacier, as long as one picks the correct crossing point. It's a matter of going slow and watching for hidden crevasses below the rock and dirt. The west moraine seems less steep and much lower about 1/4 mile up (south) of where your route attained the ridge and headed down (north). What I couldn't tell is if that upper section of the west moraine ridge above where you hit it is too narrow to hike. Of course doing this crossing would be safer with a hiking partner to get help or throw a rope if necessary.
From the Coe terminus, I think everything is really pretty easy (in all directions), with a couple exceptions: Don't go too low, because it gets brushy, and don't try to climb up the west moraine at that elevation. To me, it looked terribly steep and crumbly. Maybe doable, but it sure looked miserable. Which is why I followed the creek down and ended up in a bushwhack, followed by a long circuitous trail hike to the Coe Creek crossing, and back up to Elk Cove. Up higher, it's so easy to cross Coe and up over the low gentle moraine, and drop into Elk Cove (towards Dollar Lake/Barrett). The only possible impediment is glacier anxiety, which admittedly can be a greater impediment than all the other hassles combined.

bobcat

Post by bobcat » October 14th, 2018, 8:10 am

Finally took the time to read the report. Epic adventure - what with all the careful planning and the trekking pole massacre! I respect the fact that you erred on the side of caution but also pointed out ways to refine the route. I'll probably never do this, but you've revealed a couple spots I didn't know about that I'd like to get to.

mjirving

Post by mjirving » October 16th, 2018, 7:09 pm

Hi All,

Here is a link to a follow-up hike I just did on Saturday to recover the plane part and improve the route in the White River Glacier area. Thought you all would be interested, if you hadn't already noticed it.

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=27839&p=205830#p205830

Mike

mjirving

Post by mjirving » October 16th, 2018, 7:29 pm

DannyH wrote:
October 10th, 2018, 5:30 am
Thanks for putting the time and energy into such a detailed report. That was fun to read!
Thanks! It's rewarding to hear that others enjoy it with all the work it takes to put together. (Although I'd do that work, even if it was just for my future reading.)
Schrauf wrote:
but the steep, slick, loose bank on the west side was sketchy for the exit.
Agreed...that wasn't the best, but doable...of course I was going the other way as we know, so I can't totally appreciate your experience.
Schrauf wrote:
the increase in rockfall was significant as it warmed up
That may have been an under appreciated aspect of my hike as it was frikkin' cold!
Schrauf wrote:
The cliff above Eliot was not too sketchy, once I started across that section westbound
My sense was that it would be better going up than down.
Schrauf wrote:
so my higher route at that point was a good setup. I got up to 7.3k on that ridge but could have gone higher with easy hiking. It was no problem to then descend the ridge to get back on your route. If this spot isn't clear I can post an image.
Interesting...sounds intriguing. Thanks for the added map. I like how that orange route looks. Your green crossing looks like a good approach to the upper west moraine as I hiked up that far on my scouting hike last summer. When you say "1,000' upstream of the foot of the glacier" do you mean that to be 1,000' above where the water was coming out? I'd be interested to hear what people thing about the safety of that crossing as I just don't know one way or the other.
Schrauf wrote:
it sure seems crossing the foot of Coe Glacier at about 6.2k would be doable
Could be...I do know that a lot of the times things seem more intimidatingly steep from a distance...it did seem awfully crumbly though. On my scouting trip last summer I did go higher up on the Coe east moraine so that is possible. I was just too intimidated to cross. Sounds like a great hike for someone to scout for me on this beautiful weekend! (completely on your own accord though! :D ;) )
Chip Down wrote:
October 11th, 2018, 6:58 pm
The only possible impediment is glacier anxiety, which admittedly can be a greater impediment than all the other hassles combined
Totally agree Chip...your comment sums up that whole crossing for me, I'd love to hear other opinions/strategies about it.
bobcat wrote:
October 14th, 2018, 8:10 am
but you've revealed a couple spots I didn't know about that I'd like to get to.
Cool...glad you're interested in exploring...let me know if you have any insights once there.

Thanks everyone for the comments, as I'm really enjoying this discussion and am rapidly adding to my hiking "to-do list" for next summer!

Mike

Schrauf

Post by Schrauf » October 16th, 2018, 8:26 pm

mjirving wrote:
October 16th, 2018, 7:29 pm

Interesting...sounds intriguing. Thanks for the added map. I like how that orange route looks. Your green crossing looks like a good approach to the upper west moraine as I hiked up that far on my scouting hike last summer. When you say "1,000' upstream of the foot of the glacier" do you mean that to be 1,000' above where the water was coming out? I'd be interested to hear what people thing about the safety of that crossing as I just don't know one way or the other.
Yes, from where the creek exits the bottom of the glacier, but 1000 feet upstream of that point, not 1000 feet vertically. Approximately where one can travel at 6.2k between the moraines.

mjirving

Post by mjirving » October 17th, 2018, 6:35 pm

I just added this to my personal blog post as an edit, so I thought I'd give you all an update here too.

10/17/18 Update: I dropped the part of this morning to my contact at the FAA in Hillsboro. He was quite fascinated with it and reiterated that it's a total mystery to them. He also said that the raised "horn" on the side with the hole underneath is in fact a vent for the battery gasses. He said that he'd let me know if anything comes of it.

Mike

mjanardh

Post by mjanardh » October 20th, 2018, 9:33 pm

an incredible accomplishment indeed Mike. Its beyond words, the meticulous planning, and execution. congrats!

mjirving

Post by mjirving » October 21st, 2018, 6:51 am

mjanardh wrote:
October 20th, 2018, 9:33 pm
an incredible accomplishment indeed Mike.
Thanks! It was amazing to plan and amazing to execute. I can’t wait to to it in reverse next summer with several imorovements.