Valhalla Canyon Trip ~ Breitenbush River

Discussions and Trip Reports for off-trail adventures and rediscovering lost trails
chameleon

Valhalla Canyon Trip ~ Breitenbush River

Post by chameleon » August 27th, 2018, 6:14 pm

Last Saturday I returned to Valhalla, taking advantage of the cooler temps, which make the 1600 feet of elevation gain on the way out much more reasonable! :lol: It was interesting to find that the road has been improved, ever so slightly that is. It is still incredibly rough, and a 4x4 is highly recommended, but it appears they may have used it for a fire line last summer. While two years ago, foliage closed in on both sides, scraping your car at places, now that brush has been shaved down for a dozen feet on each side.

I still found the canyon beautiful, but I do have thoughts for others curious about it. If you're intrigued by the documentary, or perhaps harrowing tales you've read online, you could be disappointed. Landscape photographers for instance, will likely not get their most dramatic images here. While it's gorgeous, it's more experiential than photogenic. You really have to work the angles and hope for great light to get the magic you're probably expecting.
Zach-Forsyth-Valhalla-Canyon-Oregon-Shargrila-Dina-Mo-Waterfall-for-oh.jpg
Zach-Forsyth-Valhalla-Canyon-Gates-Oregon-Breitenbush-River-Slot-Canyon.jpg
Then as for the technical canyoning folks. It might not present the challenge you'd hoped for. While water level certainly makes a difference, it doesn't have too many places that will get your adrenaline pumping. And if that's what you're looking for, the price of admission is pretty steep. It's a strenuous hike out. You could much more easily get your technical thrills someplace like Henline, Davis or Parkett, each of which has more technical obstacles with relatively easy approaches and exits.

Finally, for hikers. It's certainly possible to hit what I consider the two highlights of the river, the Shangrila aka Dina-Mo double falls area, and the Gates (slot canyon), without technical ropework. But doing so is more dangerous than you might want. The scramble in and out of the falls area is, by normal hiking standards, treacherous, and the streamwalk up to the Gates from below involves comfort with hiking in a stream with a good amount of water.

So, the overall take away I have is, if you simply enjoy most rugged landscapes, and are fit and off-trail capable, you'll most likely enjoy a summer day at Valhalla. However, if you have tremendous expectations, you might be disappointed. In any case, though it's not a super long adventure, and can be done by moderately fit people in a solid daytrip, you need to be careful not to bite off more than you can chew. It does require good off-trail navigation abilities in particular to get back to the car! So take every report you've heard with a grain of salt, make sure you're prepared, and be safe. Here are a few of my favorite pics from the two adventures I've had to this cool place. :)
Zach Forsyth Valhalla Canyon Dina Mo Shangrila Falls Waterfall Breitenbush River Oregon.jpg
Zach Forsyh Valhalla Canyon Oregon Breitenbush River Waterfall above Jared Falls.jpg
Zach Forsyth Valhalla Canyon Gates Slot Canyon Oregon Breitenbush River.jpg
Zach Forsyth Valhalla Canyon Oregon Breitenbush River Looking Back Toward Cathedral Gardens.jpg
Zach Forsyth Valhalla Canyon Oregon Waterfall Breitenbush River.jpg
Zach-Forsyth-Valhalla-Canyon-Oregon-Approach-Burn.jpg
Zach-Forsyth-Valhalla-Canyon-Oregon-Breitenbush-River-Slot-Canyon.jpg
Zach-Forsyth-Valhalla-Canyon-Oregon-Breitenbush-River-Waterfall.jpg
Zach-Forsyth-Valhalla-Canyon-Oregon-Jared-Falls.jpg
Zach-Forsyth-Valhalla-Canyon-West-Fork-Shangrila-Dina-Mo-Waterfall.jpg

Chip Down

Re: Valhalla Canyon Trip ~ Breitenbush River

Post by Chip Down » August 27th, 2018, 7:12 pm

Sounds like you're saying Hyperbole Canyon was an apt moniker.

I've never even motivated myself to look up pics/videos, so I guess motivating myself to venture there is out of the question. It's not really my cup of tea anyway. My primary love is glaciers. I'll follow a creek now and then, but only when there's nothing better to do.

I see what you mean about the scenery. You grabbed a couple very nice pics there, but even so, I sense that you managed to squeeze the very best out of those places, and I can easily imagine less adept/lucky photographers coming away greatly disappointed (but again, I haven't looked up other pics, so I don't know). Oh! I just thought of a great comparison, the Sandy Glacier caves. They've yielded some stunning mind-blowing pics, but don't expect that when you visit in person. The days I've been, the caves were flowing fast, difficult to navigate, loud, dripping, miserable. I now realize you're really better off going when it's been very cold for a while (which makes access more of an issue).

Anyway, thanks for the report, which finally dragged me into gaining a little more awareness of what Valhalla is like.

chameleon

Post by chameleon » August 27th, 2018, 8:13 pm

Thanks Chip! Yeah, I imagine it is similar to your ice caves! You can certainly accomplish fantastic pics, but you have to put the effort in! And yes, though hyperbole canyon is a bit mean, it is and isn't apt. I mean personally, I feel like every piece of wilderness deserves to be cherished and elevated. So I like it when people make a big deal of wild places they think are special. That said, the elevation of it above other northwest finds isn't justified. Instead that just shows a lack of knowledge about what else is out there. I think they made a fantastic, beautiful, inspiring documentary. They just exposed a bit of naivety about our wild northwest canyons in the process.

Chip Down

Post by Chip Down » August 27th, 2018, 8:36 pm

chameleon wrote:
August 27th, 2018, 8:13 pm
... I feel like every piece of wilderness deserves to be cherished and elevated. So I like it when people make a big deal of wild places they think are special. That said, the elevation of it above other northwest finds isn't justified. Instead that just shows a lack of knowledge about what else is out there.
That's how I feel about places like Ramona Falls. Yeah, it's kinda cool, and when I stroll through there on a desolate morning when the throngs haven't arrived yet, it's a pleasant place to pause. But I think it's odd that people flock to it as a veritable instagram pilgrimage. Still, I have to admit I regret the one time I shouted "you people are morons, it's just a damn waterfall, like a hundred others in Oregon".

No, I didn't really :lol:

johnspeth

Post by johnspeth » September 11th, 2018, 1:07 pm

chameleon wrote:
August 27th, 2018, 6:14 pm
Last Saturday I returned to Valhalla, taking advantage of the cooler temps, ...
It's not called Valhalla. That name was arrogantly assigned by Jared Smith and the OPB crew. Let's not perpetuate it.
Last edited by johnspeth on September 11th, 2018, 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Water

Post by Water » September 11th, 2018, 1:52 pm

why even call it that in the first place? Why not call it Breitenbush Slot or something local to the area than some dumb norse thing?
Feel Free to Feel Free

Bosterson

Post by Bosterson » September 11th, 2018, 2:45 pm

Water wrote:
September 11th, 2018, 1:52 pm
why even call it that in the first place? Why not call it Breitenbush Slot or something local to the area than some dumb norse thing?
It already has a name....

HYPERBOLE CANYON
#pnw #bestlife #bitingflies #favoriteyellowcap #neverdispleased