Wauna teaser

Discussions and Trip Reports for off-trail adventures and rediscovering lost trails
chameleon

Wauna teaser

Post by chameleon » July 14th, 2009, 9:53 pm

Here's a bit of a teaser for Andy, Don and Jamie...given your attempt at upper Wauna this past weekend. I was in there recently, just goofing around for a bit on "Wauna falls" (I'm referring to all 4 of the segments of the lowest "falls"). I took a 75 ft rope and thought I'd be able to just descend each segment from trees to the side and photograph each one. (I still haven't photographed the two middle segments from the base of each) Well, as it turned out, my doubled up 75ft rope was barely sufficient to get me down the top segment. The next rappell would have been into a deep pool (probably 8 or 9 feet deep), with no anchor for the next (so the middle two will need to be done together) segment.

Anyhow, I back-tracked, lucked out that there is a way back up that top segment, and walked back to the base. I did finally get an accurate height on the total falls with my altimeter. Wauna falls is a total of @ 145 ft. (the top was 404 ft and the bottom was 259) The bottom segment is the tallest of the four at @ 45 ft (just guessing - but I'm getting pretty accurate in that range).

Here are a couple pics of the lovely lowest segment.
wauna falls.jpg
[/attachment] And keep your eye open on the rocky slope leading down to Eagle there too...I found this little guy running around. I think there's a large colony of them there.
western fence lizard eagle creek 1.jpg
Attachments
wauna detail 1.jpg